Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 AM

773 posts, read 2,635,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
... yet we've had a president and V-P hopeful who obviously struggle with the language and sometimes have trouble forming coherent thoughts.
And now we have a president that can form perfectly coherent thoughts, but where does that get us? I guess I am one of the many that Gibbs would label as a "professional lefty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,335,313 times
The other day I read in a magazine article: Who would have thunk...
I admit it can be heard ( ), but written in a serious article... (no, it was not a quote or something! It was a real statement made by the author of the article)

Old 08-20-2010, 07:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,648,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
The other day I read in a magazine article: Who would have thunk...
I admit it can be heard ( ), but written in a serious article... (no, it was not a quote or something! It was a real statement made by the author of the article)
I think you're still ahead of the game. At least they didn't write "would of."

Old 08-20-2010, 07:55 PM

2,952 posts, read 5,210,914 times
Would of, should of...

A friend, in her 40s, startled me when she wanted to share a grammar revelation:

"Hey, did you realize it's supposed to be should HAVE, not should OF?!"

Uh, yeah. I do know that. Always have! She thought she finally had me on a grammar faux pas.

But too many not only use OF instead of HAVE in text messages, but e-mails also (and cover letters?). And it's not laziness, is it? Pure ignorance!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

26,802 posts, read 26,934,114 times
Seen in newspapers and magazines everywhere: "The couple are moving to..." instead of "is" moving to. Yes, we know that "couple" means two people but the word itself is singular.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM

221 posts, read 799,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
I'm told by reliable sources that grammar is no longer taught - even in grammar school, ironically. They teach self-appreciation, and they teach art, and they teach computer skills. But schools apparently assume that students will somehow absorb grammar by osmosis.

Poor writing isn't corrected, criticized or even mentioned because it would make little Johnnie feel bad. Johnnie can't read, cannot comprehend and certainly cannot write. Years down the road, we'll all wonder why Johnnie rammed the commuter train into the station at high speed, despite clearly written company instructions ...
Bingo.

Also, I believe spelling is no longer taught in public schools. Or if it is, there is little emphasis on it. My husband is perhaps one of the worst spellers I have ever come across. And he went to a top rated public school in his area I'm not sure what they taught.

Perhaps grammar is just something people grasp or do not grasp. In most schools now, they do not allow the use of red pens to circle mistakes. Afterall, that will cause these children to have low self-esteem as adults and not feel good about themselves.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Seen in newspapers and magazines everywhere: "The couple are moving to..." instead of "is" moving to. Yes, we know that "couple" means two people but the word itself is singular.
Could be British usage. Words meaning "more than one person" are often followed by a plural
I must say I never heard that with the word "couple", though, but usually with words meaning bigger groups (police, staff, crew etc).

Old 08-28-2010, 10:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,090,393 times
I work for some true morons. Every day I find something new.

Last night I noticed, posted on the hotel billboard displayed outside:

"Join us on Satuday for an evening of dancing drinks and fun!!"

I work at a four-star resort, not a flea-bag dive.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,211,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
What has happened to our educational system?
What educational system? Don't worry, you'll find the same thing happened in all great empires that collapsed.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:55 PM

33 posts, read 65,201 times
What a long, ongoing post! I dig it! I manage troubleshooting methods & procedures for an IT Helpdesk, within a very large company. Our main form of daily communications is a virtual chat room, since a good portion of the team is spread around the country. I'm appalled, each day, at the illiteracy I witness in that chat room. What people don't understand, is that in the modern, virtual, corporate world, written communication is often their only communication. If that is delivered poorly, they are simply failing themselves and others. As many companies are becoming more virtual, regarding daily operations, there is no longer the ability to use oral language or body language, which both account for a greater percentage of effective communications. So, with the influx of a less literate work force, that seems to spell doom for the future of many businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing