Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 06:35 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,944,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Anybody else find you have to force yourself sometimes, but once you do, you pick up the momentum again?
Yes! That's exactly how I finished my third book. I don't write everyday--sometimes not for long stretches of time. But when I have my break that's when I'll write a novel. This year it was really difficult and I went for three out of the six weeks without really having any direction. But I think if I let myself not write on any of those days, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with it. (And when the break ended it took me an extra two weeks to finish it; but I wrote every single one of those days--a couple days under 1,000 words. It was a desperate sort of writing those two weeks--I just desperately wanted to finish the darn thing! I'd write every minute I could get and be quite exhausted at the end of the evening).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,112,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, I'm back in discipline mode, which means I'm making sure I'm writing every day, even if it's only 250 words.

Anybody else find you have to force yourself sometimes, but once you do, you pick up the momentum again?
Exactly right. One of my all-time faovirte novelists, James Lee Burke, says that he MAKES himself sitdown at the keyboard everyday for at least an hour, like going to a job; he HAS to show up, even if he stares at a blinking cursor and nothing comes.
I've also learned that it's crucial to take full advantage of the times when the muse is upon you. Write for as long as you can during those wonderful and all-too-brief periods, because you just know that it's not going to last for too long.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Exactly right. One of my all-time faovirte novelists, James Lee Burke, says that he MAKES himself sitdown at the keyboard everyday for at least an hour, like going to a job; he HAS to show up, even if he stares at a blinking cursor and nothing comes.
I've also learned that it's crucial to take full advantage of the times when the muse is upon you. Write for as long as you can during those wonderful and all-too-brief periods, because you just know that it's not going to last for too long.
Thank you. Good advice to be reminded of from time to time.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM

100 posts, read 234,897 times
I'm only writing my first novel now (at 9800 words!) but I can definitely relate mightqueen801. Writing consistently is...well...hard! hahaha Coming up with ideas, plot, and characters is fun and easy! Can't have one without the other to be a successful novelist, I suppose.

P.S.---does anyone know how many books a first-timer would have to sell in order to quit their day job? hahahaha

Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Couldn't give rep to you again, but I wanted to thank you for this post--I remembered this and MADE myself sit down one night when I didn't want to, and I set the timer for an hour. I only stared at the screen for about five minutes before I got going. It was an effective method and I will use it again.

Agree completely about the muse. When the thoughts and scenes and dialogue comes in a rush, you have to catch them because they won't come back.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM

270 posts, read 489,132 times
So glad to see others are struggling with the same things I am! I kinda up and decided to write a book (well, it's been brewing for awhile, but now I have 3 good book ideas so I finally sat down to start one) but I'm getting bogged down in writing rules. I work as a lab tech and have therefor been very technical-minded for years so it's very hard to coax out the creative side for any length of time. I've been trying to brush up on some of the writing basics, like character composition, and that's made things worse! Arghhh...I only have 2 paragraphs written! Good luck everyone, I feel your pain!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
So glad to see others are struggling with the same things I am! I kinda up and decided to write a book (well, it's been brewing for awhile, but now I have 3 good book ideas so I finally sat down to start one) but I'm getting bogged down in writing rules. I work as a lab tech and have therefor been very technical-minded for years so it's very hard to coax out the creative side for any length of time. I've been trying to brush up on some of the writing basics, like character composition, and that's made things worse! Arghhh...I only have 2 paragraphs written! Good luck everyone, I feel your pain!
Keep going, though, please.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
Dani Shapiro writes about how the pressure to be immediately successful has become more important than....

A writing career becomes harder to scale - latimes.com

Old 02-15-2010, 01:35 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,199,284 times
Great advice above about putting yourself in your reader's shoes - and if it's unncessary info for what comes later, get rid of it! (for some reason I couldn't quote it). That is so hard when you *believe* it's important to the sense of the story - but maybe, then again it's really not..Right now that's a problem I'm having with one of my chapters!

Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,295,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karuna95 View Post
I'm very private, and kept pretty quiet about my blog, because I didn't want anyone to read it! I'm someone you'd never see on reality shows

The most difficult thing for me is to trust, and let others into my mind, as I feel that people will know me, when they read my personal writing, and I didn't want that. I used to be that way about technical writing also, so submitting term papers was really a hardship for me! Even though I love writing, and do well at it.
I hear ya. And how.

And you're smart for being cautious, methinks.

Years ago, before blogging really exploded, I kept an online journal. It wasn't topic-specific, like so many blogs are now (cooking, gardening, politics, etc.). It was more the daily detritus of my life, personal essays, reflections on the news, tales of commuting, random snark, and the fairly regular political rant or satire. On the service I was using, about 200 people had "buddied" me and I used to get anywhere between 5 and 25 comments on an entry. I was nominated for the Diarist Awards twice, and pretty soon even people from other services came around and started reading regularly. All in all, it was really neat. The name of the blog was a made-up word, so that if you Google it, everything attached to it comes up me. I had a brand!

And then came the weirdos.

[Key Monty Python and the Spanish Inquisition: NOBODY EXPECTS THE WEIRDOS!]

There was the fellow who started sending inappropriate e-mails to my friends and me. There was the fellow who decided it was okay to pass judgment on certain aspects of my personal life. That fellow then took it upon himself to create a sock puppet account and start leaving graphic photos in my comments and my friends' comments, and it became enough of a problem that the site owner, who never got involved with the users, stepped in.

Enter password protection.

That was five years ago. I've tried to go back and use my brand on other sites, but then I started getting hits from searches with my ex-husband's first name, my real name, and the unique Web name. Great, now it seemed that my ex in-laws were poking around.

Or maybe it was the weirdos again. When you add that to employers or prospective clients Googling and trying to pry into the personal lives of their professional contacts, forget it.

So now most of my blogging is password protected, and what isn't password protected, no one in my "real" life knows about. When acquaintances ask me what kind of writing I do, I point them to my professional stuff only, either my website where my clips are or the magazines where some of my articles have been posted online.

A lot of people would say, "So, let your ex in-laws gawk!" But no, I don't want them or the weirdos to know what's in my brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing