Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,780,612 times

Advertisements

^^^ unbelievable!

We're losing our language.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I told a friend about this thread, and today she emailed me one she sees on craigslist a lot in the real estate section: "rod iron".

...along with "jealousy" windows.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 AM

88,701 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
...along with "jealousy" windows.
Oh noooooooooooooooo

Old 07-03-2012, 02:50 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,460,296 times
Well, it may be that "I can't take it anymore." I'm reconsidering my (volunteer) involvment in an organization whose purpose I find exciting. But they're putting together materials of such poor quality, like a weak website with rambling phrasing and misused apostrophes ("its"--not "it's"...AAAARGH!), that it's embarrassing!

Not everyone can write. It's true the nature of this work is total collaboration, but I wish they'd please please please at least recognize bad writing if it's to be publicized. They poached phrases from my draft and turned concise statements into blathering bromides. A mission statement can't be redundant. It has to be direct.

Now, I appreciate a desire to have a more conversational tone and I could work with that. I am, though, qualified to bring clarity and ultimately strong meaning to the written material. I think of other issues, professional issues like translations that take up a good 33% more text space, which means layout adjustments. Simplicity makes translations easier and cheaper too. I think of volunteers who need to represent this material clearly. Grants? Fat chance getting any "investor's."

So I admit I have some ego attached to my work, but many egos seem to be bringing objectively bad quality into it. I "may-not-be-able" to take it anymore. And that's such a shame.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Well, it may be that "I can't take it anymore." I'm reconsidering my (volunteer) involvment in an organization whose purpose I find exciting. But they're putting together materials of such poor quality, like a weak website with rambling phrasing and misused apostrophes ("its"--not "it's"...AAAARGH!), that it's embarrassing!

Not everyone can write. It's true the nature of this work is total collaboration, but I wish they'd please please please at least recognize bad writing if it's to be publicized. They poached phrases from my draft and turned concise statements into blathering bromides. A mission statement can't be redundant. It has to be direct.

Now, I appreciate a desire to have a more conversational tone and I could work with that. I am, though, qualified to bring clarity and ultimately strong meaning to the written material. I think of other issues, professional issues like translations that take up a good 33% more text space, which means layout adjustments. Simplicity makes translations easier and cheaper too. I think of volunteers who need to represent this material clearly. Grants? Fat chance getting any "investor's."

So I admit I have some ego attached to my work, but many egos seem to be bringing objectively bad quality into it. I "may-not-be-able" to take it anymore. And that's such a shame.
I think all writers have some ego attached to their work, if we are honest, but I do know how you feel about someone taking what you worked so hard to craft and destroying it completely. I've had lawyers do that to me at work when the writing is only the dull nonfiction that is contract and RFP language. They're supposed to be better at this than I am!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,460,296 times
Quote:
I think all writers have some ego attached to their work, if we are honest, but I do know how you feel about someone taking what you worked so hard to craft and destroying it completely. I've had lawyers do that to me at work when the writing is only the dull nonfiction that is contract and RFP language. They're supposed to be better at this than I am!
Oh, lawyers are the worst collaborators. Protecting interests is obviously important, but the purpose of most documents is to communicate. It's not to cover your ***. To clarify a statement you oftn just need to add one word, not a whole rambling clause. K.I.S.S. a lawyer and it'll turn into a M.E.S.S. (meandering, enigmatic sentence structure).

Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 AM

26,796 posts, read 26,927,806 times
"He's having a hey-dey with it." (What does this person think the "hey" part means when h/she writes it? And the "dey"? )

Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
Quote:
I told a friend about this thread, and today she emailed me one she sees on craigslist a lot in the real estate section: "rod iron".
Every time I see rod iron on Craig's List I am reminded of my cousin, when she was in high school, with her naughty pine bedroom. I think most of us made some mistakes when we were still in school and of course she never did it again after I corrected her.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,645,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"He's having a hey-dey with it."
Or, for that matter, a hay day. (Is that supposed to be some kind of rural celebration?)

Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Every time I see rod iron on Craig's List I am reminded of my cousin, when she was in high school, with her naughty pine bedroom. I think most of us made some mistakes when we were still in school and of course she never did it again after I corrected her.
Thank you, I needed a laugh today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing