Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Stopping at your typical gas station/convenience today there was a sign taped to the broken ATM:

Not working, sorry for any incovience.

From there stopped at a local bar where the special was: Lasaunya

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Well, was the lasagna good at least? Sounds like a "pronunciation spelling."

Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Stopping at your typical gas station/convenience today there was a sign taped to the broken ATM:

Living in the Missouri Ozarks, I see it all day, every day. The one's I like the best are when they are COPYING something off a container, etc., onto a sign and they still misspell it! LOL

A real big one in the Branson area is misspelling Shepherd of the Hills. The most common misspelling is "Shepard of the Hills". doh

About two or three weeks ago on the marquee sign of the RFD Theater said "Marty Strurat" Instead of Marty Stuart. I mean how hard is it to get your headline entertainer's name right?

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-09-2009, 07:56 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

There is SO much stupidity these days (yeah, I know, I sound old).

What kills me is when a restaurant has misspellings on its menu. And I am the kind of person who spots them immediately without even looking for them. I mean, you own a restaurant, your MENU is the first thing your customer sees, so the first impression they get is that you are so stupid and careless that you didn't proofread your menu or demand that whomever you paid to do your menu do it right.

Ruben Sandwich--I fear I'm going to be served meat made out of a fat woman, with sauerkraut.

I give some slack to Chinese menus--they are learning an alphabet as well as a language--but I am annoyed with THEM for not hiring a person who speaks clear English to take orders on the phone....

Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Living in the Missouri Ozarks, I see it all day, every day. The one's I like the best are when they are COPYING something off a container, etc., onto a sign and they still misspell it! LOL

A real big one in the Branson area is misspelling Shepherd of the Hills. The most common misspelling is "Shepard of the Hills". doh

About two or three weeks ago on the marquee sign of the RFD Theater said "Marty Strurat" Instead of Marty Stuart. I mean how hard is it to get your headline entertainer's name right?

20yrsinBranson
On one of the corners of Washington Street in New York City, the street sign said "Washinton". How can they let that happen?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
There's a shop here in Brooklyn that proudly announces you can come in and get coffe and donnuts. (I've never walked in there, which may have something to do with the fact that I'd prefer coffee and doughnuts, but maybe that's just me!)

And while I'm thinking about it, there's a garage that boasts about its ability in the area of wheel alingment. This is probably good to know in case the wheels on your car need to be alinged.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 AM

165 posts, read 396,044 times
I have on occasion walked into such places and told them that I'd not be shopping there. Then I tell them the reason: if they are that illiterate they cannot be trusted to read their service manuals - or get my bill correct.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:09 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Agreed!!

Also far too many apostrophe faults:

"cat's" for the plural of cat
"your" for you are
"it's" for possessive

Go to the grocery and see signs for "melon's" and "potatoe's" yikes!!!

While I'm on a rant- what about the "you and I" faults?

He gave it to you and I. aaaargh....

I think it's the public schools and their "don't ruin the kid's self esteem by correcting him" policies.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
There's a shop here in Brooklyn that proudly announces you can come in and get [i]coffe.
You're lucky they didn't spell it kauphy, without getting a single letter right.

I once saw a school play sign promoting a performance of "The Merchant of Venus".

Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Your Welcome...come on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing