Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM

455 posts, read 901,114 times

Advertisements

My boss says, "supposably" and "simular".
She's "supposably" well-educated, which is why our salaries aren't "simular"...

I'm doubtful.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,802,315 times
For years I lived next to Virgina street. They finally replaced all the street signs but I still laugh when I see it.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:03 PM

455 posts, read 901,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
For years I lived next to Virgina street. They finally replaced all the street signs but I still laugh when I see it.
All the neighborhood needed was a Penith street.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,894,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
My boss says, "supposably" and "simular".
She's "supposably" well-educated, which is why our salaries aren't "simular"...

I'm doubtful.

One of the supervisors where I work says "pacifically" often. "I told you pacifically that I was going to be late today." When scheduling she asks patients, "Was there a pacific time you need?"

She says it loudly, like she is proud of using this big word that she learned.

We say that we wish we could have a drinking game where we would do shots every time she says "pacifically."

Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM

88,946 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
One of the supervisors where I work says "pacifically" often. "I told you pacifically that I was going to be late today." When scheduling she asks patients, "Was there a pacific time you need?"

We say that we wish we could have a drinking game where we would do shots every time she says "pacifically."
I heard someone say that the other night at a party. He asked if there was a pacific something or other. I was nice and didn't come up with a sarcastic response.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
All the neighborhood needed was a Penith street.
You made me choke on my Jolly Rancher!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM

19,210 posts, read 25,500,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

I wonder if she is related to one of my former co-workers who used to quote, "tatistics", fairly frequently.

She was a very nice person, albeit one who was clearly unqualified for her job. The other counselors and I hesitated to correct her frequent language gaffes, but I did once respond to her statement about, "a former graduate", by asking, "When did we repossess his diploma?"
As you might have guessed, the comment went right over her head.

Although her position required both a B.A. and an M.A., most of us questioned how she had ever graduated from high school. However, because of her unusually pleasant nature, none of the administrators had the heart to terminate her.

A situation regarding her...compromised...intellectual capacity actually led her to needlessly resign from her counseling position.
In addition to being a school counselor, she was the pastor of a tiny storefront Pentecostal church in a rural area. One Monday, she came to school, and excitedly told us that her prayers had been answered, as a wealthy person in the community had sent her a letter pledging $5,000,000 to expand her church. Her grandiose plans included the hiring of an architect (actually, she said, "architech", but I suppose that she meant, "architect") to design a new building for her flock.

Most of us scratched our heads in wonderment regarding a pledge of that amount of money to a church that had...at most...25 people in attendance each Sunday.
Shortly thereafter, she resigned her job at our school, in order to be able to focus exclusively on the expansion of her church with that huge monetary grant.

She resigned her counseling position needlessly because...are you ready for this revelation?...the grant was actually in the amount of $50,000, not $5,000,000.

Those darn zeros will get you every time.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-12-2013 at 06:56 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,488,734 times
Saw this moments ago:
"I avoid all 8 major allergens like the plaque."

Wondering if it hangs on the wall or is on her teeth....

Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 PM

I went to the Bahamas with a friend who was somewhat challenged. I actually think that she was smarter than she appeared to be, but she was very small and blonde and the youngest in her family, and I think that "playing dumb" had become such a way of life to her and a means of getting the attention that she craved that it had become second nature to her.

Anyway, when we first got there, I had an atrocious headache and had to lie down for an hour before I could go anywhere. She decided to go check out the neighborhood. When she came back in, she told me she had found this place that had a giant frog that you had to pass to get to the door. When she tried to go in, it squirted water at her, and then she saw a sign saying something about seniors, and she figured she was being sprayed because the place was for senior citizens only and they could see that she was too young to go in. She was around 40 at the time.

You guessed it--this was Senor Frog's, a chain bar/restaurant found throughout the Caribbean.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,894,486 times
It's that time of again! Valentime's Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing