Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is a deli I know of that sells sandwitches and purposely spells it that way. It is located on Waterwitch Avenue in Highlands, NJ, but I think it is closed right now because of the storm damage. Just about everything on Waterwitch Avenue was flooded.

The Sand Witch Shop, Highlands, NJ 07732

Edit: Just clicked on one of the links on the page, and they say "We Are Open". Glad to see that. Highlands was whacked hard by Sandy.
I'm so glad to hear about some of the devastated places coming back. That was ONE storm, one rotten storm.

This may have been mentioned before but I hate it when I see, "I have an astigmatism in one eye."

I have astigmatism and, as I always understood it, it's a condition, not an actual thing that you might be able to take out.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,886,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm so glad to hear about some of the devastated places coming back. That was ONE storm, one rotten storm.

This may have been mentioned before but I hate it when I see, "I have an astigmatism in one eye."

I have astigmatism and, as I always understood it, it's a condition, not an actual thing that you might be able to take out.
One of my former coworkers used to ask patients, "Do you have any stigmatisms?" when she took health history. She also said, "heighth and weight."

She always spoke in a loud, clear voice so everyone in the clinic could hear.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM

19,199 posts, read 25,465,562 times
About 15 years ago, I accompanied a friend of mine when he went to purchase a new car.
In an apparent attempt to bond with my Chinese friend, the salesman informed us that his son was about to depart on a business trip to China.

When we asked which cities his son was scheduled to visit, the salesman told us that, "First he is going to Beijing, and after that, he is going to Peking".

We just smiled & nodded.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:23 AM

26,132 posts, read 19,087,034 times
Quote:

I wish someone could take my astigmatism out.

-- Yesterday I had an astigmadectomy... and I can see clearly now!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

42,032 posts, read 75,463,531 times
Quote:
For all intensive purposes
How did this one ever come about? It doesn't sound anything like the actual phrase.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM

289 posts, read 569,698 times
What is absolutely **killing** me is, over the past several years, the widespread use of long a instead of short a in regular everyday use, rather than when used for stress. Listening to newscasts (and people in general) is like an experience in Dick and Jane. "I walked down *a* street with *a* dog and *a* cat carrying *a* book and *a* bag." It has also resulted in a number of new words, among them *a* nuther, instead of *uhnuther* and an increasing failure to use "an" in front of words that begin with a vowel.

I'm not good at letting things go. I need to meditate more.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

"For all intensive purposes"
How did this one ever come about? It doesn't sound anything like the actual phrase.
Well, this is just a theory, but a lot of people do mumble when they speak, so the folks who use this, "creative", form of the real expression may have heard it uttered by people who spoke indistinctly.

However, I also have to theorize that this type of gaffe is a reflection of people who don't read at all, or who don't read anything other than...perhaps...gossip magazines.
I believe that it is also a reflection of the reality that many people simply parrot words, expressions, and phrases without having the slightest clue regarding what their words actually mean.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,480,168 times
On the subject of people not knowing what a phrase actually means reminds me of the phrase 'on the down low.' It originated with African-American men who live as heterosexuals, but, meet men for sex in a secret life. Several years ago there was a program telling about this on "Oprah," and shortly afterward newscasters and others quickly latched onto it to mean anything secret.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
On the subject of people not knowing what a phrase actually means reminds me of the phrase 'on the down low.' It originated with African-American men who live as heterosexuals, but, meet men for sex in a secret life. Several years ago there was a program telling about this on "Oprah," and shortly afterward newscasters and others quickly latched onto it to mean anything secret.
Similarly, "in the closet", which was originally a gay-speak term for hiding one's sexuality from the rest of the world, has taken on new, unintended meanings.
For example, every time we have an election, I can depend on some candidate to accuse another candidate of being, "a closet liberal", or, "a closet Muslim", or, "a closet Tea-bagger", or...

Related to both of our observations, many years ago, I can recall hearing a linguist who stated that all modern slang originates in either the African-American community or in the gay community. Perhaps he was correct.

Last edited by Retriever; 02-17-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM

88,873 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:

That's just as bad as people who say "I have a stigmatism in one eye." I've heard that before.

A similar weird thing people have started to say is "He is OCD." You can't BE OCD, you might HAVE OCD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing