Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,193,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Living in the Missouri Ozarks, I see it all day, every day. The one's I like the best...
That would be "ones," not "one's." :P

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Well, Allan Sherman sings it "faddah" in Hello Mudduh, Hello Faddah (but then, he was trying to rhyme with Camp Grenada)

Yup -- I'm a "wooder" person. I've also heard it "wotter" from other regions.
That's funny because we had NO connection to Philly whatsoever and were just about as far on the other end of the state as you can get. I've heard "wotter", too.

I w

Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Well, Allan Sherman sings it "faddah" in Hello Mudduh, Hello Faddah (but then, he was trying to rhyme with Camp Grenada)

Yup -- I'm a "wooder" person. I've also heard it "wotter" from other regions.
That's funny because we had NO connection to Philly whatsoever and were just about as far on the other end of the state as you can get. I've heard "wotter", too.

I once worked with a young lady from Kenya who lived in Jersey City, and when she went home her grandfather would become annoyed with her for her bad pronounciations of English, and I remember "water" was one of the words he'd correct her on. English is one of Kenya's official languages, and it's proper British English. Grandpa wasn't happy with what she was picking up in JC.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,596,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not EVERYONE!

Hey, quit jaggin me off n'at.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,156,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, to make it a bit more interesting, I was born in Brooklyn, and moved to Hudson County at the age of seven...yet, nobody in my family (including me) has ever pronounced, "water", as, "wauta". My mother demanded good enunciation, and she got it.

Good for your mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I once worked with a young lady from Kenya who lived in Jersey City, and when she went home her grandfather would become annoyed with her for her bad pronounciations of English, and I remember "water" was one of the words he'd correct her on. English is one of Kenya's official languages, and it's proper British English. Grandpa wasn't happy with what she was picking up in JC.

The rest of Hudson County folks always made fun of those from Joisey City - they sounded like they came from Brooklyn!

In my area of town, water was pronounced with a "t" and an "r" or it was believed you came from the south side of the tracks. It's funny because no one can tell what area of the country I'm from:

When I moved to RI, no one guessed me as being from the NY area; when I moved to Staten Island (not pronounced Oyland by me), people thought I came from somewhere else, not RI or the NY/NJ area; and now that I am in TN, people think I'm from the midwest! My diction is accentless. I did a lot of public speaking in my younger days and I believe that is why.

One of my cousins from NJ is a major network news reporter. He has way more accent than I ever did - but that's because he now lives on Lawn Guylan.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
It's funny because no one can tell what area of the country I'm from.

Similarly, whenever I reveal to someone that I lived in Brooklyn for the first 7 years of my life, and then add that I lived in Hudson County for the next 17 years, the usual response is...But, you don't sound like somebody from Brooklyn or somebody from Hudson County. I won't go so far as to claim that I am, "accentless", but it does appear that my mother's demands for correct pronunciation did have a positive effect on my brother and me.

Just to give you some background on my mother, she graduated from Hunter College (part of CUNY), circa late '20s, and as part of the requirements for her certification to teach in NY schools, she had to undergo a spoken English assessment. In order to prepare for this assessment, the students were told to obtain a particular dictionary which was published in England. Why a dictionary from England? Because--believe it or not--the folks doing the testing wanted to hear British pronunciations for many common words.

For instance, "laboratory", had to be pronounced, "la-bor-a-tory" (or was it, "la-bor-a-tree"?), in order to be considered correct.
Yes, this was in NYC! And, no, my mother did not actually continue that type of pronunciation after passing the assessment, but it must have left an impression on her, as she was forever adamant about good enunciation.

She even recalled the case of a classmate of hers, who was a brilliant student but was denied teacher certification because she had a nasal "NY accent", which was considered to be unacceptable for a teacher in NY at that time!

Last edited by Retriever; 04-09-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,156,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
She even recalled the case of a classmate of hers, who was a brilliant student but was denied teacher certification because she had a nasal "NY accent", which was considered to be unacceptable for a teacher in NY at that time!

This is sad - denying credentials on the basis of speech to someone who might have made a good teacher. And yet.... Speaking is such a critical area of communication that a part of me wants to lament how far the school systems have fallen.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 AM

1,100 posts, read 739,532 times
"Watch out for that jet ski!
That's what the buies are for."

Not even close.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,289,893 times
"...movie musicals where Hollywood opted for a big name over singing talent. I find it to be an abdominal practice..."

Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,594,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
"...movie musicals where Hollywood opted for a big name over singing talent. I find it to be an abdominal practice..."
Maybe it makes them sick to their stomach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing