Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,562,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Retriever, that would actually be a relief! I remember when moving over here (to North America from England) being quite shocked to see that "z" popping up and my father groaning "so THAT's how they spell it over here..." lol. I was mildy chastised when I used my "s" spelling at work once, when dealing with an ad agency, no less!

I agree with you that it's painful when useage evolves into correctness. Irregardless, alot of words your seeing 2day are coruptions of good words and I really, in this case, could care less!

Hmm. I wonder if "inflammable" was one of those words, as it means the same as flammable. "Irregardless" is in the dictionary although it does list it as incorrect. It needs to stay that way.
Best I got.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:15 PM

19,145 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Retriever, that would actually be a relief!

I'm confused.
What would actually be a relief?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,169,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I'm confused.
What would actually be a relief?
I wasn't clear. It would be a relief if "advertized" turned out to not be a valid word.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Both "advertizing" and "advertising" are bona fide spellings...

Quote:
It would be a relief if "advertized" turned out to not be a valid word.

I'm still confused.
Are you now saying that you may have erred when you stated that, "advertizing", is a bona fide spelling?
Or, are you just expressing your hope that, "advertizing", is not a bona fide spelling?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'm still confused.
Are you now saying that you may have erred when you stated that, "advertizing", is a bona fide spelling?
Or, are you just expressing your hope that, "advertizing", is not a bona fide spelling?

I'm saying that as unpalatable as it is, the word "advertizing" is recognized. I mean, recognised.

I acknowledge that it's not in your preferred dictionaries, but is IS listed at freedictionary.org, whereas "alot" is not listed.

I don't like the word. I'm happy that it's not in my two favourite dictionaries. That's all.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,721 times
Originally Posted by Vectoris
Retriever, that would actually be a relief! I remember when moving over here (to North America from England) being quite shocked to see that "z" popping up and my father groaning "so THAT's how they spell it over here..." lol. I was mildy chastised when I used my "s" spelling at work once, when dealing with an ad agency, no less!

I agree with you that it's painful when useage evolves into correctness. Irregardless, alot of words your seeing 2day are coruptions of good words and I really, in this case, could care less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Best I got.
And I underlined the one you forgot.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,562,923 times
Don't get me started on "alot". That one drives me up the wall, alot, not alittle.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
It seems that everyone so far has ignored the words, "could care less", and I am fairly sure that Vectoris slipped those words into his/her sentence as an intentional example of poor English usage.

For those who may be puzzled by my reference, the original expression was, "couldn't care less", and somehow this phrase has been modified by most people to, "could care less". If you are trying to communicate that you don't care at all about something, "could care less", is incorrect, as it means that you care a lot.

Last edited by Retriever; 04-15-2013 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,727,992 times
Shirley you jest! (just saw this in another forum) and the person's name is not Shirley.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It seems that everyone so far has ignored the words, "could care less", and I am fairly sure that Vectoris slipped those words into his/her sentence as an intentional example of poor English usage.

For those who may be puzzled by my reference, the original expression was, "couldn't care less", and somehow this phrase has been modified by most people to, "could care less". If you are trying to communicate that you don't care at all about something, "could care less", is incorrect, as it means that you care a lot.

Yes, this statement when used incorrectly is a bee in my bonnet. I slipped them in, because I really do care, very much. So in this case the meaning is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.