Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,083,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I haven't seen that one, but many of the supermarkets in my area have express checkouts displaying a sign that states, "10 items or less".
Ironically, one of the few chains whose signs correctly state, "10 items or fewer", is Stop & Shop, which is owned by the Dutch corporate giant, Ahold.

I think it is ironic that a foreign-held supermarket chain has signs displaying better English usage than many US-based supermarket chains.

I admit the "10 items or less" sign doesn't bother me that much, even though I know it's incorrect. But it's definitely ironic when a foreign company uses better English than Americans.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know this is minor by comparison, but I hate seeing grocery store aisle signs that say "can goods" instead of "canned goods".
The signs in the aisles at my supermarket are labeled "Can Vegetables", "Can Fruit", etc. Drives me NUTS. I mentioned it to one of the cashiers one day, and he just sort of looked at the signs and looked back at me, and the puzzled look on his face clued me in that he had no idea what the problem was.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM

This is not something that was written, but it is related as it falls into the "Sometimes I can't believe people" category.

I was talking to this woman today. She's in her seventies. She told me that she had met some new friends of her daughter's and her daughter's husband's, and they were from Ecuador. Then she leaned in as if she had some really exciting information, and she said, "Do you know that the zero latitude line runs right through Ecuador?" I'm thinking, "Um, yeah..." and then she goes on to say, "And guess what? Ecuador MEANS Equator! That's how it got its name."

And I'm sitting there staring at her thinking "How the hell did you live for seven decades and just get to hear about this NOW?"

I am mean, yes, sometimes I feel very mean. She is a nice lady.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is not something that was written, but it is related as it falls into the "Sometimes I can't believe people" category.

I was talking to this woman today. She's in her seventies. She told me that she had met some new friends of her daughter's and her daughter's husband's, and they were from Ecuador. Then she leaned in as if she had some really exciting information, and she said, "Do you know that the zero latitude line runs right through Ecuador?" I'm thinking, "Um, yeah..." and then she goes on to say, "And guess what? Ecuador MEANS Equator! That's how it got its name."

And I'm sitting there staring at her thinking "How the hell did you live for seven decades and just get to hear about this NOW?"

I feel mean sometimes too! An extremely nice older lady I work with says, "supposably" and "flustrated" on a daily basis. She is so nice but hearing her say those two words drives me crazy.......

Old 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
"....I don't understand how that is a relavent point?...."

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but, the older lady is in the majority. Information about Ecuador is not common knowledge.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but, the older lady is in the majority. Information about Ecuador is not common knowledge.
I'm sure that it isn't common knowledge, which--of course--is a sad commentary.
After all, we live in a time when a huge percentage of the American public thinks that New Mexico is part of the nation of Mexico. If so many US citizens don't seem to know that New Mexico is one of the 50 states, I am confident that basic information about a foreign country would be...foreign... to them.

What is most disturbing to me is that so many people seem to be willfully ignorant.
Thinking back to my 3 decades as a high school counselor, I can't even begin to count the number of times that parents were under the impression that California University of Pennsylvania was a branch of the higher education system of the state of California, and that Indiana University of Pennsylvania was a branch of Indiana's state college system.

I would try--gently and tactfully--to point out that, while the names of these colleges were indeed confusing, they were simply named after the Pennsylvania communities where they are located, and that they are both a part of the higher education system of the state of PA. However, not being satisfied with the accuracy and logic of that answer (or the likelihood that I just might know a bit more about colleges than they did), many of these folks informed me that I was wrong, and that those two states were indeed operating outposts in another state.

IMHO...willful ignorance is a factor in the lack of knowledge of many people.

Last edited by Retriever; 06-03-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
No...probably not. And I'm certainly no expert about that country myself (I do know the capital is Quito!) But not knowing that "Ecuador" means "Equator"? Isn't that 4th-grade geography? Or even just common sense looking at the word itself?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I'm sure that it isn't common knowledge, which--of course--is a sad commentary.
After all, we live in a time when a huge percentage of the American public thinks that New Mexico is part of the nation of Mexico. If so many US citizens don't seem to know that New Mexico is one of the 50 states, I am confident that basic information about a foreign country would be...foreign... to them.

What is most disturbing to me is that so many people seem to be willfully ignorant.
Thinking back to my 3 decades as a high school counselor, I can't even begin to count the number of times that parents were under the impression that California University of Pennsylvania was a branch of the higher education system of the state of California, and that Indiana University of Pennsylvania was a branch of Indiana's state college system.

I would try--gently and tactfully--to point out that, while the names of these colleges were indeed confusing, they were simply named after the Pennsylvania communities where they are located, and that they are both a part of the higher education system of the state of PA. However, not being satisfied with the accuracy and logic of that answer (or the likelihood that I just might know a bit more about colleges than they did), many of these folks informed me that I was wrong, and that those two states were indeed operating outposts in another state.

IMHO...willful ignorance is a factor in the lack of knowledge of many people.

Sadly, yes. Good point.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
No...probably not. And I'm certainly no expert about that country myself (I do know the capital is Quito!) But not knowing that "Ecuador" means "Equator"? Isn't that 4th-grade geography? Or even just common sense looking at the word itself?
Yes, of course. My reason for the post is pointing out the ignorance of the majority without going to great detail. Like you, I appreciate knowing information and realized long ago many do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing