Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,894,486 times

Advertisements

Thread title: "What altitude do you live at?"

Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Join an organization. Hysterical Society, Garden Club, book, club, etc."
Would someone please give me a recommendation for the Hysterical Society?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:52 PM

88,930 posts, read 85,461,719 times
There's one on the P&C forum today about racial connotations of the word "uppity". Someone posted that the word is racist when it's used with a racial epitaph. I thought that was a weird thing to say and responded that I've never in my life seen "uppity" used on an epitaph...about five minutes later I realized they'd meant "epithet".

Old 06-28-2013, 06:28 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,265,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Thread title: "What altitude do you live at?"
Not sure why you object to this, except for ending the sentence with a preposition, which even the most erudite often do for conversational clarity and succinctness. The corrected thread title would be "At what altitude do you live", which is perfectly correct, repairing only the preposition placement.

I see nothing wrong with "What town do you live in" or "What street do you live on", or "What college do you live near" or "What airport do you fly to" or "What altitude do you live at", each one using the appropriate preposition that would be fitting in the corresponding declarative sentence. In some cases, we so customarily drop the interrogative preposition that it sounds hillbilly to leave lit in, but that does not make it wrong. As in "What time do you get up (at)?", with the answer, "I get up at 6 oclock".

Last edited by jtur88; 06-28-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,745,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not sure why you object to this, except for ending the sentence with a preposition, which even the most erudite often do for conversational clarity and succinctness. The corrected thread title would be "At what altitude do you live", which is perfectly correct, repairing only the preposition placement.

I see nothing wrong with "What town do you live in" or "What street do you live on", or "What college do you live near" or "What airport do you fly to" or "What altitude do you live at", each one using the appropriate preposition that would be fitting in the corresponding declarative sentence. In some cases, we so customarily drop the interrogative preposition that it sounds hillbilly to leave lit in, but that does not make it wrong. As in "What time do you get up (at)?", with the answer, "I get up at 6 oclock".
Up with this I will not put.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,902,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Thread title: "Why do ppl prefer to sit in booths......"

Why do people prefer to type "ppl" instead of typing three extra letters? Does it really take that much longer to type three vowels?

I've always been a stickler for correct usage, but I couldn't care less aboutwhat's appearing on a message board. It's not a term paper, after all.

Lighten up.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,488,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Do you usually omit the apostrophe in oclock? And, how often do you say where are you at? Imo, you never say it.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,265,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Do you usually omit the apostrophe in oclock? And, how often do you say where are you at? Imo, you never say it.
Yes, the apostrophe is too goddam hard for a touch-typist to find on a standard computer keyboard, so I often omit it, unless there is an ambiguity, like to distinguish a possessive from a plural. It's my own special war.

"Where are you at" is redundant, because "Where" naturally implies the preposition in usage. But if the question is worded "What place", then a preposition is called for.

"Where" mean at or in what place. "When" means at what time or on what day, "How" means in what way, expressed without the preposition. But if you don't use the interrogative (where, what, why, when), the preposition is called for.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,178,679 times
I find it irritating when the word "claim" is used in place of "declare" in the contexts of filing tax statements or crossing a border with goods. I'm always hearing people say they're claiming child support income and investment income when they're actually declaring it, or claiming those two bottles of vodka when crossing the border. Maybe it's just pedantic of me but it causes high blood pressure

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I've always been a stickler for correct usage, but I couldn't care less aboutwhat's appearing on a message board. It's not a term paper, after all.

Lighten up.
thnx for ur input ill tke it undr advsmnt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing