Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 PM

37,143 posts, read 41,343,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never heard of the Hobbit person.
Here you go:

Aragorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you read The Constant Princess by Phillippa Gregory? She's not the best author out there for English historical fiction (Sharon Kay Penman has her beat by a mile) but she tells a good story and she brought Catherine to life.

I noticed the misspelled first name, (Catherine's real name was Catalina, anyway!) but I think we had that conversation already on another thread. Never heard of the Hobbit person.
I haven't read that book, but thanks for the heads' up! And I haven't read anything by Penman so I will look into her stuff as well. I love English historical fiction. I think my favorite author for that genre is Norah Lofts. Gregory is pretty good but you're right - sometimes she falls a bit short. Too much fluffiness to some of her stuff.

We may have had this conversation before about the spelling of my screen name - I always get a kick out of it when people know who it "represents." Yes, I knew her name was actually Catalina, which I think is a beautiful name. I also love Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn/Cathryn and any other spelling out there of that beautiful name as well. I'm so glad my daughter named one of her girls Katherine!

Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,776,422 times
Default "I am mailing you my aunt and uncle and 3 of their children."

Some of these individual requests are funny, but I'm pretty sure the "I'm mailing you my aunt..." phrase and concept is just shorthand language particular to genealogy and those who pursue their sometimes elusive ancestors.

Here's another example of this use of language. If one is a birder and has personally seen the Laysan Albatross, having positively identified it correctly, he then can correctly say "I have the Laysan Albatross" (my bolding for emphasis). However, I don't 'have it', because I didn't personally see it in the wild; my viewing is on a web cam where I know I'm going to be seeing a Laysan Albatross.

In regular English this is nonsensical, but birders understand it perfectly. I don't see this as being incorrect, but rather colloquial and specific to the topic and educational pursuit.

And even the phrase I used above, 'elusive ancestors' can sound odd in normal conversation, but it's totally correct and understandable within the genealogical context.

~~~
PS and I know it's off topic, but if anyone wants to see the Laysan Albatrosses, here's the url:
Laysan Albatross

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
A cousin with whom I share an interest in genealogy emailed me these today:

... excerpts from actual letters sent to the Family History Department, Salt Lake City, Utah.

I have a hard time finding myself in London. If I were there I was very small and cannot be found.

This family had 7 nephews that I am unable to find. If you know who they are, please add them to the list.

Will you please send me the name of my first wife? I have forgotten her name.

Our 2nd great-grandfather was found dead crossing the plains in the library.

He and his daughter are listed as not being born.

I would like to find out if I have any living relatives or dead relatives or ancestors in my family.

Will you send me a list of all the Dripps in your library?

My Grandfather died at the age of 3.

We are sending you 5 children in a separate envelope.

Documentation: Family Bible in possession of Aunt Merle until the tornado hit Topeka, Kansas. Now only the Good Lord knows where it is.

I am mailing you my aunt and uncle and 3 of their children

The wife of #22 could not be found. Somebody suggested that she might have been stillborn--what do you think?

Enclosed please find my Grandmother. I have worked on her for 30 years without success. Now see what you can do!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM

This one just in from the forums:

Quote:
...everyone's got a cross to bare.
I have several crosses in my house. A couple of them have Jesus on them, and one or two of them have a piece of cloth draped over them. I guess those crosses aren't bare.

Maybe only Protestants have bare crosses...I don't know...

Old 02-03-2014, 04:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,456,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This one just in from the forums:

I have several crosses in my house. A couple of them have Jesus on them, and one or two of them have a piece of cloth draped over them. I guess those crosses aren't bare.

Maybe only Protestants have bare crosses...I don't know...
The terra cotta crosses I've made have all been bare.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM

37,143 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Some of these individual requests are funny, but I'm pretty sure the "I'm mailing you my aunt..." phrase and concept is just shorthand language particular to genealogy and those who pursue their sometimes elusive ancestors.

Here's another example of this use of language. If one is a birder and has personally seen the Laysan Albatross, having positively identified it correctly, he then can correctly say "I have the Laysan Albatross" (my bolding for emphasis). However, I don't 'have it', because I didn't personally see it in the wild; my viewing is on a web cam where I know I'm going to be seeing a Laysan Albatross.

In regular English this is nonsensical, but birders understand it perfectly. I don't see this as being incorrect, but rather colloquial and specific to the topic and educational pursuit.

And even the phrase I used above, 'elusive ancestors' can sound odd in normal conversation, but it's totally correct and understandable within the genealogical context.
Yeah, I'm sure no aunts or cousins or grannies got mailed, just their vital data.

Typos in genealogy software can result in children being born before their parents or after their mothers died, too, among other funny errors.

The list I posted is eccentric even for genealogy, though.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,919,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The terra cotta crosses I've made have all been bare.
Sorta reminds me of the hymn about Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear...

Seriously, the bare or empty crosses usually seen in and on Protestant churches represent the resurrection: the risen Christ, triumphant over death and sin. Catholic churches generally have crucifixes, which focus on Christ's sacrifice for the sins of the world. Both concepts are highly significant to Christians of all kinds.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Sorta reminds me of the hymn about Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear...

Seriously, the bare or empty crosses usually seen in and on Protestant churches represent the resurrection: the risen Christ, triumphant over death and sin. Catholic churches generally have crucifixes, which focus on Christ's sacrifice for the sins of the world. Both concepts are highly significant to Christians of all kinds.
Yes, but do we ALL have to bare our crosses? I like mine the way they are.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,456,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, but do we ALL have to bare our crosses? I like mine the way they are.
You could wear one around your neck and keep it hidden.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:07 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
With the death of the actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, I've become aware of how many people mix up "heroin" and "heroine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.