Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Went missing is discussed back upthread a bit. It's a British idiom that has caught on in the US.
OK. I still don't like it, and I'm a BBC fan.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK. I still don't like it, and I'm a BBC fan.
It seems you've gone negative about that usage.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM

21,617 posts, read 8,783,659 times
I saw a flyer today from a house cleaner that proclaimed, "Are services can be tailored to your needs."

A Facebook friend of mine praised someone's "inciteful" comments. He is a college graduate and the author of four books.

Another blunder that's become much too common these days is to apostrophize every plural: I took the book's to the library, Is this your's, The cat licked it's fur, etc.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
This just in from the Decorating forum:

Quote:
I certainly haven't seen anything that stricken my fancy
I am stricken with hatred for that sentence - that's for sure.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times

Another blunder that's become much too common these days is to apostrophize every plural: I took the book's to the library, Is this your's, The cat licked it's fur, etc.

WHY do people do that? Why can't they simply add the letter "S"?

Every time I see this sort of thing I have to go back and read it again to make sense out of it. Don't they know how annoying they are? There is one moderator on CD who has a list of grammatical rules as a part of her signature but I wonder if the apostrophe people even read it.

"I took the book is to the library." "Is this yours is?" "The cat licked it is fur." That is not English and they shouldn't graduate from elementary school if they don't know that. /vent.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:55 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,351 times
I've noticed many starting to put the apostrophe in the word Dos, as in "Do's and Don'ts". I'll admit, Dos doesn't look right, but with that apostrophe, (Do's), should it then be read as Do is?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

WHY do people do that? Why can't they simply add the letter "S"?

Every time I see this sort of thing I have to go back and read it again to make sense out of it. Don't they know how annoying they are? There is one moderator on CD who has a list of grammatical rules as a part of her signature but I wonder if the apostrophe people even read it.

"I took the book is to the library." "Is this yours is?" "The cat licked it is fur." That is not English and they shouldn't graduate from elementary school if they don't know that. /vent.
Often, when I write a plural, my spellchecker marks it misspelled unless I add an apostrophe. I have no problem overriding the spelling program.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,735,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I think too many people are confused about plurals and possessives. They may be remembering that if it's an issue of belonging (possessive), they must use an apostrophe. "It's fur" certainly means the cat's fur, which the animal possesses (the cat's fur, and the cat is "it"). Therefore, they use the apostrophe: It's

Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think too many people are confused about plurals and possessives. They may be remembering that if it's an issue of belonging (possessive), they must use an apostrophe. "It's fur" certainly means the cat's fur, which the animal possesses (the cat's fur, and the cat is "it"). Therefore, they use the apostrophe: It's
So, apparently, the same people can't comprehend contractions?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:25 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
'Hydronic' ran in the floor is much more comfortable heat, and uses less heat; then baseboards.

Okay, there is no rhyme or reason to this one.

It kills my brain because it looks as though Hydronic is a person, maybe an animal, and they ran. OOOOOPS, now I see that hydronic is some kind of heat. Back to the beginning to read it again.

A comma where no self respecting comma should be and then...why not? A SEMI COLON. (but we can't let it end there) Finally we confuse the reader by starting to talk about baseboards. "then baseboards."

OOOOOPS, back up again. That didn't make sense. Did they mean, "THAN baseboards"?

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler just to write, "Hydronic, run in the floor, is much more comfortable heat and uses less heat than baseboards."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing