Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
Today I read a sign: "We Sale Packing Boxes". ohhhh please stop.
Get your sharpie out. Quick!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,498,710 times
Okay...this one from FB made me cringe;

I don't vent much about people I don't know. But when there is a funeral precession passing down the road, there is a hurst, and many cars with headlights and emergency blinkers on! Pull over!

OTOH, I downshifted my HURST to slow down for the HEARSE!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I don't vent much about people I don't know. But when there is a funeral precession passing down the road, there is a hurst, and many cars with headlights and emergency blinkers on! Pull over!
For reasons that I have never been able to fathom, many people seem to feel that it is necessary to add an extra letter (sound) to certain words.

For example, the last name of a friend of mine is "Costanza", yet it seems that many (perhaps most) people pronounce his name as "CoNstanza".
Similarly, when many people order Eggplant Rollatini in a restaurant, they ask for Eggplant RollaNtini.
In my high school days, I can recall a lot of guys giving advice such as, "You better use 'protection' if you don't want to get 'the syphT' (translation=syphilis)".
I have heard some women say that they like "RevAlon" cosmetics/hair care products.

So, to people like that, I suppose that it makes perfect sense to pronounce "hearse" as "hurst".

Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
OK this really chaps my hide:

My last name is Poland. Seems easy enough, right? I mean, it IS the name of a huge country in Europe. I'd think people would have at least heard the word before...even though it's not a common last name. (By the way, it's Irish, not Polish, in origin, of all oddities! It means "small pond" - "polin" or "polan" is the original Irish word.)

Anyway, I digress. Here's where things start to bug the heck out of me. ALMOST INVARIABLY, receptionists and people who take my orders, whatever, seem to feel compelled to write my last name out as "Polland." OK - I've never EVER heard the name (or word) "Polland." Not only that, if I write out my name "Poland" on, say, a sign in sheet, the person calling it out nearly ALWAYS calls out "Polland!" (Rhymes with "Holland.") I have even had people ARGUE with me over my OWN LAST NAME!

"It says Polland." Or, "There are two L's in your name." Or whatever. I have even had to say, "Excuse me - is this MY last name or your last name? Which of us do you think knows how to pronounce it?"

Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Which of us do you think knows how to pronounce it?"

Something else that I have never been able to fathom is the phenomenon of people arguing with me over issues that I would certainly have more awareness/knowledge of than they do.

The best example that comes to mind is from my days as a high school counselor. I have always had a very good memory for both faces and names, and as a result, when former students would come to the office for academic transcripts, it was not unusual for me to be able to recall their names--even if they had not been among my counselees.

Here is a typical scenario:

Former Student: Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, and I would like a transcript.
Me: Oh sure, I recall that you were a counselee of Ms. XXXXX, and that you graduated somewhere around 1995 or 1996. Am I correct?
FS: Yes, she was my counselor, and I graduated in 1996, but...How would you know that? You weren't in this school when I was a student.
Me: Well, actually, I was here. I have been here since 1974.
FS: (adamantly now) No, you weren't here!
Me: I think what you mean is that, even though I can remember you, you don't remember me, and that may be understandable because I wasn't your counselor.
FS: (even more adamantly now) NO! You weren't here!

This exact scenario took place on more occasions than I would care to remember, but I am still at a loss to figure out why people are so insistent that they are correct when arguing with somebody who would certainly know the information.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Something else that I have never been able to fathom is the phenomenon of people arguing with me over issues that I would certainly have more awareness/knowledge of than they do.

<snipped>

This exact scenario took place on more occasions than I would care to remember, but I am still at a loss to figure out why people are so insistent that they are correct when arguing with somebody who would certainly know the information.

Dumb, dumber and dumbest covers a very large contingent.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Dumb, dumber and dumbest covers a very large contingent.
Overall, I agree, but in many of these situations, those former students were at least average in their intelligence, and some of them had been very good students.
In many of these situations, while they were ridiculously and needlessly argumentative, they were also not "dumb". Hence, my confusion regarding why some people have seen fit to argue with me over issues about which I would certainly be more aware/knowledgeable than they were.

'tis a mystery...

Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,914,536 times
"Quite my job because of job offer overseer which didn't work out"

Ugh.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

The best example that comes to mind is from my days as a high school counselor. I have always had a very good memory for both faces and names, and as a result, when former students would come to the office for academic transcripts, it was not unusual for me to be able to recall their names--even if they had not been among my counselees.

Here is a typical scenario:

Former Student: Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXXXXX, and I would like a transcript.
Me: Oh sure, I recall that you were a counselee of Ms. XXXXX, and that you graduated somewhere around 1995 or 1996. Am I correct?
FS: Yes, she was my counselor, and I graduated in 1996, but...How would you know that? You weren't in this school when I was a student.
Me: Well, actually, I was here. I have been here since 1974.
FS: (adamantly now) No, you weren't here!
Me: I think what you mean is that, even though I can remember you, you don't remember me, and that may be understandable because I wasn't your counselor.
FS: (even more adamantly now) NO! You weren't here!

I had a conversation once with a man who insisted my father was a plumber, that I lived on a certain street, and that I had a sister who had "the rickets".

The man was a long-time resident of my small town and an alcoholic. He thought I was my mother. My GRANDFATHER was a plumber, my mother grew up on the street the man insisted I lived on, and my aunt had cerebral palsy. He had many of the details right...but he was thirty years in the past and a generation off! I guess I looked enough like my mother at the same age that he "recognized" me.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a conversation once with a man who insisted my father was a plumber, that I lived on a certain street, and that I had a sister who had "the rickets".

The man was a long-time resident of my small town and an alcoholic. He thought I was my mother. My GRANDFATHER was a plumber, my mother grew up on the street the man insisted I lived on, and my aunt had cerebral palsy. He had many of the details right...but he was thirty years in the past and a generation off! I guess I looked enough like my mother at the same age that he "recognized" me.
Well, at least there was a semi-plausible explanation for that old alky's confusion.
How would you explain young people (in their 20s, usually) who assumed that they knew more about my work history/place of employment than I did?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing