Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,861,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I have a young friend who teaches honors English at the high school level. Yet, she consistently uses improper grammar when she talks about herself and her husband. For example, she will say, "Attending the concert was a real thrill for Kenny and I." It's all I can do to refrain from saying, "Kenny and ME!"

Another friend who is a teacher uses poor grammar as well. How the heck are children supposed to learn proper use of English if their teachers don't know it well? It's sad.

That's awful. I would have a hard time not saying ME!!!!!!!!!!! They somehow think it sounds better to say "I". Maybe you should tell her? She's responsible for teaching ENGLISH to KIDS.

I saw something in today's paper that might make your hair stand on end. The article, admittedly, did come from someone in a very low income city with a lot of problems, but the writer is a former school committee member.

to paraphrase: ..."like ponds on a chestboard...."

I don't see how anyone could write that.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM

44,420 posts, read 20,179,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I have a young friend who teaches honors English at the high school level. Yet, she consistently uses improper grammar when she talks about herself and her husband. For example, she will say, "Attending the concert was a real thrill for Kenny and I." It's all I can do to refrain from saying, "Kenny and ME!"

She probably thinks that you want her husband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! PJSinger, is there something you'd like to share?
No way! These are very good friends of mine, and Kenny is the youth and choir director at my church! Plus, I'm old enough to be their mother.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:27 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,822,292 times
Quote:
In the Work and Employment forum, a new thread: Finding Employement is literally F'in Impossible
Oh my. I don't want to imagine what that would literally look like.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:44 AM

19,210 posts, read 25,500,591 times
Quote:
In the Work and Employment forum, a new thread: Finding Employement is literally F'in Impossible

Hmmm...I wonder if the person who created that thread is a former sign painter.
At the long-gone Ford assembly plant in Edison, NJ, there was a fairly prominent sign that read, Employe Entrance.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,042,282 times
I had teachers back in NJ who said "yous" (or is it "youse"?) as the plural of "you".

And one who always said "vice versal". Not sure why she added an L to it. To be fair, she taught math, not English.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,377,836 times
Here's a post on CD by a kid in his second year of community college:

"Also some history of this divorce settlement is that when my mom and dad were together, my Dad was doing quite well....but he used up me and my sisters college savings on a mistress for 10,000 a month."

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM

37,295 posts, read 41,544,323 times
Default Investment firms

The major players with some brick-and-mortar presence are Infidelity, TD Outhouse, Scotttrade and Squab.

I cannot tell from the rest of the post if the author meant this tongue in cheek or not.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,951,912 times
"The major players with some brick-and-mortar presence are Infidelity, TD Outhouse, Scotttrade and Squab."

It's a simple play on names. I recognize them because I've seen them before.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM

88,943 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

Another friend who is a teacher uses poor grammar as well. How the heck are children supposed to learn proper use of English if their teachers don't know it well? It's sad.

I have TWO women in my writing group who are retired schoolteachers. One is writing children's books, and the other writes short plays. Both of them demonstrate frequent misspellings and poor grammar in the work they give out for critique. The idea that they each taught school for 30 years or so and can't spell themselves is disturbing.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 AM

19,210 posts, read 25,500,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have TWO women in my writing group who are retired schoolteachers. One is writing children's books, and the other writes short plays. Both of them demonstrate frequent misspellings and poor grammar in the work they give out for critique. The idea that they each taught school for 30 years or so and can't spell themselves is disturbing.
One of my brother's classmates in elementary school & high school was an absolutely brilliant guy who eventually wound up on the faculty at Harvard. I can recall my brother being dumbfounded at this guy's inability to spell even some very short & simple words when he was in high school, and--more than likely--this trait continued past high school days.

Somehow, problems with spelling did not impede this guy's progress, but I have always been fascinated by the phenomenon of extremely intelligent, well-educated people who simply can't seem to spell correctly.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing