Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,746,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Someone left this question as a rep comment:

Did you ever confront and question in person?

Yes. At the PTA meeting, I brought it up a couple of times. I was met with blank and/or confused stares. I remember one other person spoke up and agreed with me, but most people seemed to treat it as some sort of silly issue that really didn't matter, and they just went on with whatever they were talking about.

It's funny, because I live in and I belong to a church in a different area of the state now, and the woman who does our church website holds a position as the website person for the school system of a small neighboring town. There are always spelling errors on the church website, so I imagine there must be errors on that school system's website, too. The church thing is voluntary, but the school website is her JOB.

Shouldn't a basic command of spelling be some sort of requirement for such a position?
'Twas I who asked that in the rep I gave you ; I am appalled at the situation you described, and I'm sure it's widespread. I thought your concerns were important enough to rep you but did not want to take this off topic with a post. We MUST be committed to demanding (politely but firmly) that our educators set the example, and if they don't know that their language and spelling are corrupted, it needs to be brought to their attention. Again, kindly, politely, and firmly. We are paying to have our children educated and we have the responsibility of keeping an eye on the process and correcting where necessary.

Kudos to you for your efforts. Keep it up. If they treat it as "silly" it's most likely because they are embarrassed. Know that you got your point across.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,504,020 times
They just don't stop, do they?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ir-middle.html

I'm only interested in answers from women. So if your not a women, please don't answer.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM

37,295 posts, read 41,544,323 times
It isn't as clear cut as the paper eludes.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:22 PM

88,942 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You live in a church?
ROFL, good catch. I think I was interrupted when writing the sentence.

Nothing worse than seeing your OWN errors!

Just needed a couple of commas.

I live in, and I belong to a church in, a different area of the state now

Old 02-24-2014, 02:47 PM

29,793 posts, read 34,600,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I have a young friend who teaches honors English at the high school level. Yet, she consistently uses improper grammar when she talks about herself and her husband. For example, she will say, "Attending the concert was a real thrill for Kenny and I." It's all I can do to refrain from saying, "Kenny and ME!"
This was on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/bill-fl...es-of-i-and-me

Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM

19,210 posts, read 25,500,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This was on CBS Sunday Morning this weekend:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/bill-fl...es-of-i-and-me
That appears to be a bad link...

Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,208,589 times
Two men found with drugs in their buttocks following traffic stop in Flint.

Yes, that is a real headline.

Two men found with drugs in their buttocks following traffic stop in Flint | MLive.com

Sadly, this is not unusually bad "reporting" locally. Crap like this is almost a daily occurrence. I rarely read local news any more. Several months ago two separate "reporters" covered the same purse-snatching story - yet even though all they're typically doing is rewording police reports, each "reporter" managed to give a different time of day, different location and other conflicting details. How does that even happen when simply summarizing a canned police report?

I emailed Marjorie Raymer, who has the nerve to hold the title of senior editor but received no response and both conflicting stories stayed posted on the site.

I guess that news reporting is increasingly viewed as nothing more than a vehicle for attracting consumers and selling advertising - accuracy, veracity and indeed proper grammar is largely irrelevant. As long as some hack can get a sexy word like "buttocks" into a headline to attract more views and clicks, it's all good.

/rant.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,208,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
They just don't stop, do they?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...ir-middle.html

I'm only interested in answers from women. So if your not a women, please don't answer.
Ha, I saw that one!
That particular OP has a habit of posting poorly-worded and stupid questions.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM

37,295 posts, read 41,544,323 times
Check with one of the credit burro's and ask for a copy of the background check

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,951,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Check with one of the credit burro's and ask for a copy of the background check
Hey - we are living in an Animal Farm, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing