Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Guilty
It's weird. My niece was saying that, too. She's a well-educated woman in her mid thirties. The misspoken phrase only seems to have appeared a few years ago, yet it's caught on enough that it's used fairly frequently.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:50 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Watch for me on CNN. They'll have my name misspelled in the headlines.
With CNN, that is a given!
In the event that they do spell your name correctly, one of their news readers will slaughter the pronunciation of it.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

10,060 posts, read 18,153,820 times
Quote:
Great thanks for all the input! Defiantly what I was looking for.
Definitely too.

(I see this mistake a lot -- is it one of those auto-correct mistakes (e.g. when typing on a phone)? )

Old 03-21-2014, 03:12 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,810,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In the event that they do spell your name correctly, one of their news readers will slaughter the pronunciation of it.

I was considering adding a silent "q" and a silent "j" to my name: Nicqcij. I think it makes me appear more mysterious, no?

Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Definitely too.

(I see this mistake a lot -- is it one of those auto-correct mistakes (e.g. when typing on a phone)? )
Folks mistaking "defiantly" for "definitely" does seem to be a growing trend, unfortunately.
I don't know whether this is the result of auto-correct on a cell phone, but do know that some smartphones (Apple and possibly other brands) decide what you want to type, and this can lead to some very embarrassing messages.

I am VERY glad that my smartphone is not smart enough to choose my words for me. It does give me several suggested word options (in a separate window) from which I can select, but I can also ignore those suggestions if I choose to, and I wish that all smartphones were like this.

Edited to add:
If you want to read some really hilarious auto-correct mistakes, here is a link, but if you are offended by sexual references and/or obscenities, I urge you NOT to click on it:

The 25 Funniest Autocorrects Of January 2013! » Damn You Auto Correct!

Last edited by Retriever; 03-21-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Of course they will.

This was just on my mind, and even though it's not exactly "writing", you opened the door for me to go slightly off-topic here.

I was just driving home and was listening to the radio station 1010 WINS, an all-news station in the NYC metro area. I keep hearing two things on that station that bug me (probably because I hear these same announcers at the same time of day when I drive!)

One is the guy who keeps talking about what the mare did. You know, the mare of New York. It used to be Mare Bloomberg, but now it's Mare DiBlasio.

The other is the woman who talks about the weather and what the middierologists said.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Folks mistaking "defiantly" for "definitely" does seem to be a growing trend, unfortunately.
I don't know whether this is the result of auto-correct on a cell phone, but do know that some smartphones (Apple and possibly other brands) decide what you want to type, and this can lead to some very embarrassing messages.

I am VERY glad that my smartphone is not smart enough to choose my words for me. It does give me several suggested word options (in a separate window) from which I can select, but I can also ignore those suggestions if I choose to, and I wish that all smartphones were like this.

Edited to add:
If you want to read some really hilarious auto-correct mistakes, here is a link, but if you are offended by sexual references and/or obscenities, I urge you NOT to click on it:

The 25 Funniest Autocorrects Of January 2013! » Damn You Auto Correct!

I love that site.

I have a friend who works for the DOJ in DC. The offices closed a lot this winter because of the number of snowstorms they had. Last month when we were both getting hit with one of the storms she texted me to say that the goat was closed. Apparently her auto-correct saw "gov't" and decided it should be "goat".

So now she calls it the goat on purpose.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM

I detest autocorrect. I was trying to write, "Volkswagen Corrado" in a text message and it kept changing to, "Version Corridor." I would change it and it would change back. I take it so personally. I know what I want to write, you dang artificial intelligence sumnabitz!

Just a few minutes ago, I saw a post on facebook. It stated that the person posting was sick of all the "dribble" on facebook. I dramatically trilled, "Irooooooooonyyyyyyyyy!" very loudly to my empty house.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I detest autocorrect. I was trying to write, "Volkswagen Corrado" in a text message and it kept changing to, "Version Corridor." I would change it and it would change back. I take it so personally. I know what I want to write, you dang artificial intelligence sumnabitz!

Just a few minutes ago, I saw a post on facebook. It stated that the person posting was sick of all the "dribble" on facebook. I dramatically trilled, "Irooooooooonyyyyyyyyy!" very loudly to my empty house.
I have a bad habit of saying a nasty word when I am annoyed. It starts with a C and ends with an R and has three syllables and includes some good strong "k" sounds in the middle that I somehow find satisfying to say. When I am on the commuter train and the auto-correct on my phone keeps correcting to something I don't want it to be, I sometimes blurt out that word. I tell myself that no one near me heard it. They pretend they didn't hear it, anyway.

I decided that I will claim that I have Tourette's Syndrome if I'm ever confronted.

Or "turrets", as someone once posted on City-Data.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a bad habit of saying a nasty word when I am annoyed. It starts with a C and ends with an R and has three syllables and includes some good strong "k" sounds in the middle that I somehow find satisfying to say. When I am on the commuter train and the auto-correct on my phone keeps correcting to something I don't want it to be, I sometimes blurt out that word. I tell myself that no one near me heard it. They pretend they didn't hear it, anyway.

I decided that I will claim that I have Tourette's Syndrome if I'm ever confronted.

Or "turrets", as someone once posted on City-Data.

Sometimes swearing is the only release that keeps a brain from complete meltdown. Having grown up in Wisconsin, I tend to swear a little like Ned Flanders from The Simpsons sometimes. It's embarrassing when I mean to sound all badass and, "Goldarn it, gosh diddly doo, anyhoo, fer cornsakes!" comes out.

You have "Turrets" and you live way up high, in the little tower of a castle, and you can swear loudly down into the valley. It echoes for all the townspeople to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing