Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 07:43 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times

Advertisements

Lol amusing.
In Italian generally there aren't that many spelling errors since our spelling is much logical and clearer than English (or French) one: basically you "read how you write".
This doesn't prevent Italians from making awful mistakes: no doubles, forgetting letters or misplacing them and so on.
One think I always found funny was seeing errors in spelling Italian in supposed "Italian restaurants" like "Buonjorno/Buongorno"(instead of Buongiorno) or "Ittalliano" instead of "Italiano" but I bet that using Italian-named restaurant is convenient considering the popularity of Italian cuisine, as such, it's obvious that this sector of marketing is not just restricted to Italian speaking people.
I always found appalling how native speakers can get wrong "your and you're", I mean, I am not a Native speaker but the concept is so obvious I don't see how someone can get it wrong.
I can understand a little bit when I see "then" instead of "than", they are pretty similar, nonetheless the concept behind is simplest and as such I find curious that people still get it wrong.
Nonetheless, mine are just observations, not being a native speakers and considering that my English is full of mistakes, I don't feel entitled myself to judge anyone.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:28 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
In fairness, I believe some of these errors are due to language barriers. I have a friend who is a native Spanish speaker. She speaks English well, but she mixes up tenses of words and sometimes uses the wrong word. I especially notice this in her writing because she would ask me to read something before she sent it.

I just wanted to point out that not ALL misuse and abuse of the language is due to stupidity.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
If every spelling error was brought here, just found on C_D alone, we'd have 200 pages a day in this thread.
One kind of post that I resist bringing attention to is one that is so bad that the entire post is incomprehensible and leaves you saying to yourself "What'd you say????"
Out of generosity, I decide that the poster uses English as a second language (even though I know it's not always the case

Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Quote:
Which must be related to, "What do you do when your Asian?" Your Asian....what?
Well, that's better than; "What to do with Uranus!"

Old 03-23-2014, 07:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
This doesn't prevent Italians from making awful mistakes: no doubles, forgetting letters or misplacing them and so on.
One think I always found funny was seeing errors in spelling Italian in supposed "Italian restaurants" like "Buonjorno/Buongorno"(instead of Buongiorno) or "Ittalliano" instead of "Italiano"
A possible explanation for the slaughtering of the Italian language on Italian restaurant menus is the reality that many "Italian" restaurants nowadays are actually owned and operated by Egyptians.

While that may not be the case in your neck of the woods, I can tell you that in the NYC/NJ Metro area, folks from Egypt operate a huge percentage of the pizzerias and casual Italian restaurants, and they likely have very little schooling regarding the Italian language's spelling & grammar.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Paws before you say anything you'll regret.

He past the church where they got married.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
On the radio yesterday, someone said they were waiting for the calvary to come to the rescue.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:37 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A possible explanation for the slaughtering of the Italian language on Italian restaurant menus is the reality that many "Italian" restaurants nowadays are actually owned and operated by Egyptians.

While that may not be the case in your neck of the woods, I can tell you that in the NYC/NJ Metro area, folks from Egypt operate a huge percentage of the pizzerias and casual Italian restaurants, and they likely have very little schooling regarding the Italian language's spelling & grammar.

yes I know, that's why I write "supposed".
Once in Bournemouth, in England, we went to Fanelli's pizza thinking it was Italian: it wasn't, it was run by a Turkish and he cooked awfully.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I've noticed a small presence of Albanians in Italian restaurants in southern CT(NY Metro), but no Egyptians.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've noticed a small presence of Albanians in Italian restaurants in southern CT(NY Metro), but no Egyptians.
How does one differentiate between the two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing