Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,471,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw that one, too. I wonder if the poster meant the bird? That would be bizarre!
Bizarre, but much easier!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,590,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It seems "marinate" and "marinade" are often misused. Marinate is a verb and marinade is a noun. I marinate my chicken in a citrus marinade. I'm not lecturing, I'm just reinforcing my own understanding.

The problem there is Americans who pronounce a t in the middle of a word as a d. There's plenty of 'em. No wonder confusion abounds.

Pardy instead of party, udder instead of utter, etc.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,590,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From the NJ Forum:

"There's abit of an upswing going in Newark and its surrounding neighborhoods.... at least 15 projects with another 40 in the pipeline for the not to distance future. The Ironbound is also seeing numerous abet smaller projects going up."

In an era when so many people believe that "a lot" is now one non-word, I guess it was inevitable that "a bit" would also morph into one non-word. The confusion about "not too distant" is a mistake that I have never seen previously, and I am assuming that "abet" is supposed to be "albeit".

Yikes!

just alittle time before alittle becomes a word.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM

19,173 posts, read 25,439,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
just alittle time before alittle becomes a word.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, at my last job, a few of the younger employees asked me to help them with their writing--which I had to review on a fairly constant basis in order to do my job. One bright-eyed young woman was almost incredulous when I diplomatically pointed out that "alot" is not a word. In order to reinforce the concept, I said, "Try to remember that 'a little' consists of two words, and that should help you to remember that 'a lot' is also two words.

A few weeks later, as I was paging through her most recent report, she barged into my office and chirped, "Did you notice that I remembered what you said?" I asked her for clarification, and she turned to the last page of her report, where she proudly pointed to her use of "alittle" in a key sentence.

That ended my attempts at education in that office.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:01 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,436,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
"Swallow foot after 2 months sprained ankle"

Seems extreme...
I think the poster meant swollen. The phrasing of the post itself makes me think the poster is not in the US and English may not be the first language.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 PM

19,173 posts, read 25,439,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think the poster meant swollen.
That was also my first thought.
However, we could both be wrong...

Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,674,061 times
From a CNN article about a moon of Jupiter:

There is only a handful of places in the solar system thought to have subsurface oceans.

This was not a blogger, but an actual writer for CNN.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,818,295 times
Default A horse of a different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
From a CNN article about a moon of Jupiter:

There is only a handful of places in the solar system thought to have subsurface oceans.

This was not a blogger, but an actual writer for CNN.

The problem is that CNN fired their entire science dept. years ago. That's why they do so many round-robin interviews when it comes to technical issues - the loss of the Malaysia Boeing 777, the difficulties of tracking/interpreting the various signals, the problems with working out rough locations for a first look-see, the problems with mapping the ocean depths, and on and on.

Yes, subsurface ocean isn't a bad phrase - they just need to explain that probably the surface is ice (likely not water ice, but one thing at a time), floating atop the liquid. Subterranean sounds wrong, as we're not talking about Earth. Ocean might be a misnomer too, if we're talking about moons - ocean implies planetary-size bodies of water, like Earth's oceans. See A 'club sandwich' may support life on Jupiter's moon Ganymede - an article at CNN Tech (sorry, couldn't copy the URL).

Old 05-02-2014, 03:28 PM

37,216 posts, read 41,436,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The problem is that CNN fired their entire science dept. years ago. That's why they do so many round-robin interviews when it comes to technical issues - the loss of the Malaysia Boeing 777, the difficulties of tracking/interpreting the various signals, the problems with working out rough locations for a first look-see, the problems with mapping the ocean depths, and on and on.

Yes, subsurface ocean isn't a bad phrase - they just need to explain that probably the surface is ice (likely not water ice, but one thing at a time), floating atop the liquid. Subterranean sounds wrong, as we're not talking about Earth. Ocean might be a misnomer too, if we're talking about moons - ocean implies planetary-size bodies of water, like Earth's oceans. See A 'club sandwich' may support life on Jupiter's moon Ganymede - an article at CNN Tech (sorry, couldn't copy the URL).
Er, I thought the issue was There is only a handful of places vs There are only a handful of places ..."

But which is used appears to depend on context, whether the emphasis is on handful: A handful is ...
or on places:

A handful of places are ...

Subsurface oceans appear to be a recognized phenomenon.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM

88,796 posts, read 85,207,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The problem there is Americans who pronounce a t in the middle of a word as a d. There's plenty of 'em. No wonder confusion abounds.

Pardy instead of party, udder instead of utter, etc.
Almost all Americans pronounce the words that way. We also use "are" instead of "is" for plurals. ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing