Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Here's another thing that's been bugging me. People are leaving off the "s" when when using words ending in "ist" that should be plural.

"Are you afraid of terrorist attacking your city?"

"Do the Baptist hate the Catholics?"

"Where are good places in your city for tourist to visit?"
Or they go to the other extreme: Baptisses, tourisses. Or the classic David Allen Grier leitmotif from "In Living Color"---"Does she have big bressisses?"

Last edited by jtur88; 05-27-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Ah, memories! ..... (He pronounced Henry as Enery so shouldn't line 5 be "an Henry?")
I'm Henry the 8th I am,
Henry the 8th I am, I am,
I got married to the widow next door,
She's been married 7 times before,
And every one was a Henry (Henry),
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
I'm her 8th old man I Henry,
Henry the 8th I am

I just noticed that you are in Richardson, TX. I was in Dallas 30+ years, moved back to Florida last year. I'm kinda missing Dallas, especially my friends.
We miss you too. You are missing some incredible weather right now.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
[quote=jtur88;19334379]Or they go to the other extreme: Baptisses, tourisses. Or the classic David Allen Grier leitmotif from "In Living Color"---"Does she have big bressisses?"[/quote]

Laughing here, I forgot about that one.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just saw this in another forum:

". . . finally be allowed into the clicks of pampas white people . . ."
Sounds like some odd mix of African language and South American geography...

Old 05-28-2011, 12:16 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
I'm reading this thread for the first time and cannot stop laughing. Had to take a break for water after reading yours. If I saw that sign, I would be tempted to ask the market manager if the special included the chicken's thing or some other thing.

I intended reading more of RUNNER by Thomas Perry after watching The Mentalist. But I checked email and somehow I started reading these posts. My laughter is disturbing the cats and I'm only on page 15 of the thread. Nothing better than a good laugh!
I spent hours reading this thread when I first found it. My husband kept asking what was so funny, but really, grammar isn't his thing.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 AM

218 posts, read 563,048 times
A Matrix fanfiction:

Quote:
Neo was wake from sleeping and he shout at Trinity "Help you I think your dead"
"No I am not" she said and she gotted some water drink.
Morpheus walking into the bedroom "Good morning Neo we must kung fu"
So they trained the jiu jitsu and martia larts.
Neo kick him "Good job"

"Morpheus we got a distress signal it is from Niobe"
So they ran into the ship and they found Nioba and she was okay but there was a sentinal.
Neo punched it. His hand was hurting very badly.
"Neo you must be careful" Morphus said and shot the robot.
"Wait" Neo said and he downloaded how to kill the sentinels. But it was too late and cause the machines created a new matrix.
"No, we cannot our powers in the new matrix"
Then Neo disconnected but he was looked dead, and they all told Niobe the sad news.
"What happen in the first matrix" "They are all dead"

"tihs is too much" Morphus shotted quietly "help me fight to save this"
"i illh elp you" Trinity say with the cry she was sad cause thoughts neo was dead but it was matrix trick!
Neo try to say help but his body wads frozedn
"sOh no!" Merpheus say at teh radar screen "more matrix is attack us"
"we will have to jug in" Trinity hooked her up
Wehn they entared teh place was filled with Smiths because the matrix was curroopted with the matrix virus.
"I'll fight this 500" Morpus said and he sworded out his katana at great attack.
Trinity watch in amazing! "You are so good"
"What's this" Morpeud read a data becauz he was fight agents and make them run, but the data said some information!
"It say Neo is alife! We shuld wait go back to seak to him" and they tooks off by using phone interface.

Neo was okay they finds because of mediskel equipmont.
"The matrix is virused wso they cans not control the people any morR,. We arm not win yet but shall continue of the fight!"
They aggreed and formed for strewngth so they could fight the matrix one other day
"gentalmen the fight goes on" Neo said with fist and the crews cheered with new hope.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Question:

I've always said "He is soft spoken."

Yesterday I heard on the BBC, "He is softly spoken."

HALP!!??

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,566,999 times
I just came from a flea market, where I witnessed a new take on the misuse of the apostrophe. At one booth, they were selling "WATCHE'S".

Old 05-30-2011, 07:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Question:

I've always said "He is soft spoken."

Yesterday I heard on the BBC, "He is softly spoken."

HALP!!??
Soft-spoken is a single, hyphenated, English word:

soft-spo·ken

–adjective
(of persons) speaking with a soft or gentle voice; mild.
(of words) softly or mildly spoken; persuasive.

To say "He is softly spoken" would be incorrect, since he is not "spoken", softly nor in any other way. His words can be softly spoken, but he cannot be.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Soft-spoken is a single, hyphenated, English word:

soft-spo·ken

–adjective
(of persons) speaking with a soft or gentle voice; mild.
(of words) softly or mildly spoken; persuasive.

To say "He is softly spoken" would be incorrect, since he is not "spoken", softly nor in any other way. His words can be softly spoken, but he cannot be.
Thank you very much for the explanation. Gone are the days when we could trust the announcers on radio and tv to be role models for good speech. Sheesh, now you can't even trust the BBC. The beeeb. Of all things. Hyper-correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing