Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 03:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,479,052 times

Advertisements

While reading a novel written by a man who writes using excellent grammar, I've just encountered a passage where he stumbles on using the possessive apostrophe. He's a 30 year law professor at Yale.

"Surely Arthur Bremer's apartment once looked as the attic now does. And John Hinckley's. And Squeaky Fromme's."

Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 PM

4,804 posts, read 2,821,808 times
Default A doctor of many things

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
From todays Daily Mail online - I kid you not - argggggghhhhhh

Dessert was his demise! Chippy Scott couldn't catch a break in the latest elimination on MasterChef Australia
By PENELOPE KILBY
PUBLISHED: 20:50 AEST, 26 May 2014 | UPDATED: 23:56 AEST, 26 May 2014
0View
comments

Monday's elimination episode opened with, 'It's as devious as it is dazzling,' but should of gone along the lines of ,'It's as difficult as it is detrimental.'

Read more: Chippy Scott couldn't catch a break in the latest elimination on MasterChef Australia | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Ok now I'm assuming this Penelope Kilby person has gone to school, ditto her Editor...?

Or they might both be depending on the spellchecker on their word processing app to catch this kind of stuff. The problem is, a spellchecker will pass should of, not knowing that it's not interchangeable with should have. If they're going to go all automated, they should both also have run a syntax checker. Most syntax checkers would have caught the problem, I think.

Dr. Who - Tom Baker, I think it was - noted this problem ages ago. He was fighting off the Cybermen & noted in passing: "That's the problem with Cybermen - you also get Cyber-English."

Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,285,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
While reading a novel written by a man who writes using excellent grammar, I've just encountered a passage where he stumbles on using the possessive apostrophe. He's a 30 year law professor at Yale.

"Surely Arthur Bremer's apartment once looked as the attic now does. And John Hinckley's. And Squeaky Fromme's."
It may be too early in the morning for me to be thinking clearly so maybe I shouldn't post this yet but I don't see the problem with that.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:09 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It may be too early in the morning for me to be thinking clearly so maybe I shouldn't post this yet but I don't see the problem with that.
That makes two of us.
Perhaps I need a second cup of coffee before I am capable of seeing the mistake(s) to which Rubi alludes.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,279,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The conversion is v. simple, and hardly takes any effort on your part. Just give each targeted closet its walking papers!
Is that anything like V. Stiviano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
My Mom was good in English,she would always correct us when we abused it. I remember once when she was reading my report card and my brother said " Mine is more better than his,ain't it mom? " She closed her eyes and went " Oooooooh "
Since this is a writing forum I'll mention that there should be a space after a comma. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
From a trucking forum:

It pains me to read those forums...the education level is so low. They even have it in their TOS that there is to be no pointing out or correction of poor writing.
All those corrective posts, and the "yu new what I ment" responses, would probably junk up the forum.

I've forgotten when I learned how to write and speak properly. Am I correct in saying that most people read and write at no more than an 8th grade level, which is apparently sufficient in most of our society?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,165 times
From the POC forum:

LOL I barley made it out of HS.

It shows!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

LOL I barley made it out of HS.
If that person was enrolled in an agriculture program, his/her situation might not have been a bad thing...

Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM

From an automotive forum:

"You would definately want to contact you're dealer. I think that is a dealer only serviced part of the car?"

At least this person is slightly more literate than the people posting in that truckers' forum.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,679,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If that person was enrolled in an agriculture program, his/her situation might not have been a bad thing...

Maybe she failed at 'oats, peas, beans'!

(that's a line from an old song, probably unknown to most people)

Old 05-27-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Am I correct in saying that most people read and write at no more than an 8th grade level?
The Owner's Manuals for cars are purposely written on an 8th grade reading level so that most people will be able to comprehend the information.

The only problem is that most folks can't seem to figure out how to open the glove compartment in order to access the manual, thus leading to questions in automotive forums such as...When do I need to replace the timing belt on my 2001 Super X-mobile?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing