Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 10:46 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times

Advertisements

Nazis and a "swats sticker"

I am.............speechless.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:07 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,213,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Nazis and a "swats sticker"
Just....but...wow. That's special.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,735,536 times
Drop the "Nazis" and this question occurs to me:

Could "swats sticker" be, like, flypaper?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM

30,402 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Agreed!!

Also far too many apostrophe faults:

"cat's" for the plural of cat
"your" for you are
"it's" for possessive

Go to the grocery and see signs for "melon's" and "potatoe's" yikes!!!

While I'm on a rant- what about the "you and I" faults?

He gave it to you and I. aaaargh....

I think it's the public schools and their "don't ruin the kid's self esteem by correcting him" policies.
I am with you on this one. I am so OVER it with the over use of apostrophes. Plural does not mean apostrophe! "Look at the two dog's playing." ARRGGH!!!!! Or when people are talking about a certain decade, for example, "the 80's" NO! NO! STOP IT, RIGHT NOW, ALL OF YOU! It's 80s, NO apostrophe.

For the "you and I" faults, how I was taught, in GRADE school, was that you take out the other person. Instead of, "He gave it to you and (I) me", if you are confused about which one to use, you take out the other person and say, "He gave it to....me". You would not say, "He gave it to I", now would ya.

And yes, no one wants to hurt the poor little kid's self esteem. Heck, you can see that by going to any forum or chat room. You offer free education and you get called "grammar police!!!" "No one cares, it's a forum/chat room/Facebook status." "It's text speech!" No, it's not. It's called, "you don't know how to spell". So, fine, continue to look like an idiot, instead. Or should I say, "continue to look like idiot's" LOL

Bleh!

In Miami, where I just moved from, there is a little coffee shop in one part of town. The name I don't remember exactly because I could never get past the first part of their name..."Expresso" on a big, yellow sign with giant, black letters. Not only did they spell it incorrectly, they made it very noticeable to everyone passing by.

I don't drink coffee or eSpresso, (nor will I ever drink eXpresso), however, I would never give them my business if I did nor did I ever give my time to see what else they may have had on the menu. I refuse to give idiots my business.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:59 PM

30,402 posts, read 23,870,295 times
Oh, I would like to add this one...found on a website when looking for natural remedies. The person is talking about a cold sore and how they are trying to get rid of it. I swear to you, I PROMISE, I am not making this up. It's there, I'll give you the link if you want to see for yourself:

"whats poppin? i get cold sores on average about once every year, but when i do get them dey come at the worst times. i felt tingilling on my top lip dis morning so i nummed it out with like 3 ice cubes den i dabbed it with rubbing alcohol den right after i put i tea bag on it for about 15 mins den repeat. so far you cant even tell i have one, i cant even see it in the mirror. i read here on the site that ear wax helps so im a do dat wen im goin to sleep tonight"

Pray for our future.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,351 times
GatorMama, we must be soul sisters! Your post made me howl, right down to the "Bleh!". I'll never forget the cover letter from an applicant that not only spelled the acronym HIPAA as HIPPA, she even made up the words to coincide with it. I think she used, Health Insurance Patient Protection Act.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,213,784 times
The following is a direct copy from a post in the Huntsville-Madison-Decatur (AL) forum of this very same website...it came bombing in a little more than a year ago and I still remember it for its....uniqueness. Is that a good way to say it?

"i be dictatin this to my secretary n’ realize most wont be hip nuff to undastand what i be sayins, but foe the ones that do… here goes. wah gwan los negros my nillas! CLUB 222 is gonna be an up-scale off da hook pallay n’ all that cavi! yanna talk bout! yadadamean! word from tha huntsvegas hoods sayins a bruddah tycoon smebber dropped lots a scrilla on this joint foe us fastlane boss-bawlas to be havin a place to be postin n’ davin when we be mashin tha way-way from b’ham n' nashvegas foe a knock wit da hubba. us titan d-boyz need a place foe function near da embassy sweets telly to be stakin on some krypt and get our beat on some twirks bap while we be thizzing. out in da 222 we’ll be choppin it up crackin n’ bangin boppers n’ flossin our stunna sweet swishers while we be giggin tha floor. we always be rollin in cabagge n’ flush wit handfuls of c-notes so tha only atm anyone be seein in our public vip will be from bobbles n’ mini-boppas n’ skibas wit scullys givin a flights to boston n’ puttin the mount on them shorties. grillin wit our gold ones n’ barkin wit my fo sheddo folkies in my private vip n’ drankin cuddie bang n’ heeny n’ *** n’ poofin chewy-chong backwood-bomb dank n’ sharing cake n’ getting fadded wit tha munchies n’ our fav undala beezys. we be hearing 222 gonna have ova the top valet parkin foe my posse n’ my p-ride g-ride candy lexi whip that be rollin on doobie gold shoe thins. also be hearing 222 gonna have ova tha top security so nobody can be pullin licks on our team. best thang bout 222 is if we be hearin tha elroys n’ popos outside blurpin woopers, my homies can ghost through tha vip back exit cause they be packin thumpers n’ ninas n’ needin ta chill from 5-0. jay chrizzel be all gravy n' all raw foe xmas wit ya… wun peace."

Now, THAT'S some mighty fine writin'. I'm sure he's a Pulitzer Prize winner in the making.

Where's Barbara Billingsley when you need her?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
Someone wrote "tenyear" for "tenure" on the Education forum. Fortunately, h/she was corrected by another poster.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:32 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,852,426 times
Watching the news last night, a reporter said, "when aircraft is properly maintenanced, it's seviceable life can be greatly extended."

Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM

600 posts, read 1,611,538 times
This thread reminded me of a scene from "The office", in which Michael Scott says "We need to euthanize this place!", talking about bringing more young people to the office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing