Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:54 AM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times

Advertisements

Oh my, found this one on a genealogy thread:

My mothers maden name was a type o

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,332,450 times
I've just read a post containing the word "nutrious" instead of "nutritious".

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,025,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Yes, 'data' is plural.

'Media' is also plural - the singular is 'medium'.

And the rarely-seen plural of 'forum' is 'fora', although I think it's too late for that one. 'Forums' has become the accepted plural, just as 'indexes' has replaced 'indices'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Not in Mineralogy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I still use 'indices'. And 'appendices'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
And vortices and vertices.
Quote:
A Google search for 'indexes' gets 103 million hits. A search for 'indices' gets 22.4 million. Y'all are part of a dwindling minority.
Yeah, I use "indices" etc. and indexes doesn't sound quite right to me. I think that it's more common for those who encounter the word in their work.

I'd imagine that could be more for the financial, technical or scientific realm etc.. and that people that use indices on a daily basis, since that's the kind of people I hear say "indices" (though I could be wrong, maybe indexes is has become more common there too).

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,639,520 times
With each passing day (and the corresponding ream of new postings here on C-D), I find that I'm getting angrier and angrier at people who use "to" when they ought to be using "too."

Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM

2,515 posts, read 5,031,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Yeah, I use "indices" etc. and indexes doesn't sound quite right to me. I think that it's more common for those who encounter the word in their work.

I'd imagine that could be more for the financial, technical or scientific realm etc.. and that people that use indices on a daily basis, since that's the kind of people I hear say "indices" (though I could be wrong, maybe indexes is has become more common there too).
I work in electronic document archiving, where we keep index information about each document. We use "indexes" on a daily basis. When I started here, I asked about using "indices", and was told that they had decided to standardize on "indexes" because it was easier to understand.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,025,088 times
Quote:
I work in electronic document archiving, where we keep index information about each document. We use "indexes" on a daily basis. When I started here, I asked about using "indices", and was told that they had decided to standardize on "indexes" because it was easier to understand.
That's interesting. So it's not the same for every field/occupation perhaps.

For some reason, I get the feeling that "indices" retains the original most strongly in the sciences (perhaps in the more human-oriented fields, usage would be brought in line with what is more popular/common because there is more dealing with the public, but that's just a guess). I think I see indices being used a lot in measures for environmental studies such as water quality. Someone on this thread mentioned mineralogy, and while I don't know anything about mineralogy, that also seems to fit the idea that its more for physical objects/materials.

Anyone else. I wonder what form people in other such fields as finance (stock market indexes or stock market indices?) or the social/health/policy fields (eg. indexes/indices of say, well-being or development etc.) use or prefer as most common?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,836,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
That's interesting. So it's not the same for every field/occupation perhaps.

For some reason, I get the feeling that "indices" retains the original most strongly in the sciences (perhaps in the more human-oriented fields, usage would be brought in line with what is more popular/common because there is more dealing with the public, but that's just a guess). I think I see indices being used a lot in measures for environmental studies such as water quality. Someone on this thread mentioned mineralogy, and while I don't know anything about mineralogy, that also seems to fit the idea that its more for physical objects/materials.

Anyone else. I wonder what form people in other such fields as finance (stock market indexes or stock market indices?) or the social/health/policy fields (eg. indexes/indices of say, well-being or development etc.) use or prefer as most common?

In mineralolgy, a unique optical characteristic for each mineral is how light transmits through it, referred to as its RI or Refractive Index, plural being refractive indicies.

http://www.minerals.net/mineral_glos...e_indices.aspx

http://www.mineralatlas.com/Optical%...ve%20index.htm

However, in finding these websites, I did notice several others that seemed to go out of their way just to avoid using a plural form at all.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
I just saw this interesting construction in another forum, which is grammatically correct, but a logical conundrum:

St. Louis I have noticed is usually pronounced correctly less than half of the time.

Which I guess means that less than half the time, it is pronounced correctly less than half the time. Or, usually it is not usually pronounced correctly.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,570,560 times
Just saw these gems:

...the fans arrived in mass...

...the closing of the shop was the death nail for the center...

You can't make this stuff up!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,718,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I've just read a post containing the word "nutrious" instead of "nutritious".
typos are forgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post

...the closing of the shop was the death nail for the center...
As in, "the last nail in the coffin"?

I'll be even those who are irked by others' errors have made some of their own at some time or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.