Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,635,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I worked with a guy who was fairly intelligent but when his Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, he would say his Dad has Oldtimer's disease. He truly thought that was the correct name.
I call it "Oldtimer's" all the time. Not due to me not knowing the actual name, it's more of a nickname if anything.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm sure we all had run-ins with words like "epitome" or "segue" or "debut" when we realized that the version in our heads was not a thing.

I remember realing a book when I was a kid that had a character named "Aloysius." I had no idea how to pronounce that one at all.
I got Highlights magazine as a kid, and a recurrent character was Aloysius the wolf. Yes, I was much older when I heard it pronounced. Not to mention St. John, Persephone, Cholmondeley--okay, now I admit I've forgotten how to spell that one!

Last edited by JustJulia; 03-17-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I call it "Oldtimer's" all the time. Not due to me not knowing the actual name, it's more of a nickname if anything.
You just have to be careful if you're going to say something like that just because it amuses you. Like my friend (who really thought it WAS "Oldtimer's") who was babbling about "Oldtimers" within earshot of someone whose mother really did have Alzheimer's disease. That could be construed as making fun of someone's parent's suffering.

They aren't always "old-timers" anyway. My former SIL is 64 and in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed at 51.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I got Highlights magazine as a kid, and a recurrent character was Aloysius the wolf. Yes, I was much older when I heard it pronounced. Not to mention St. John, Persephone, Cholmondeley--okay, now I admit I've forgotten how to spell that one!
I remember "Persa-fone", too.

And the name ""Antigone" used to bug me. Being anti-gone didn't make sense.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Here's one I just spotted in the Relationships forum. "My now-girlfriend and I's first date was supposed to be . . .." (Italics added.)

How would you say it? Without re-convoluting the entire sentence. How do you form the possessive of the subject of that sentence?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:08 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How would you say it? Without re-convoluting the entire sentence. How do you form the possessive of the subject of that sentence?
Rewrite. "My first date with my girlfriend was supposed to ..."

Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM

I saw "As burgers" today.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Without rewriting it, I'd say, "my now-girlfriend's and my first date..."

Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,635,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NO! Tell me that's not true...and bringing on the banging-head smiley.

But wait a minute. Are you telling me the NEWSPAPER printed it that way????
Take a look at the Courier Press online edition. FULL of them. I catch them all the time, and hubby refuses to even read the paper now because of the mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
On my travels around this and other message forums, I've come across:

People wishing their significant other good riddens;

People who go site-seeing on vacation;

People who know someone with Oldtimer's disease;

I see these errors time and time again!
Some of those are regional dialect errors, and perfect common " 'round dees parts".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Not long ago, I had some difficulty with my friendly local cable TV company. So I called them up and explained the problem (someone in my building had been fooling around with the wiring, and I was being billed for the "adult movies" he was ordering). The woman from the cable company listened patiently, then informed me that the movies had been ordered on my second cable box. I have only had one cable box since the day I began subscribing to their so-called service, and I told her so. She replied--and I quote--"Our computer says you've got two cable boxes."
It wasn't Insight was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I have a question-when you write "quotes" shouldn't your punctuation be inside the "quote?" I see it this way "." and this "way". I also see this (.) shouldn't it be ()?
Depends on if you are using American or British rules. My fav Eng Proff is well versed in both, and teaches both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I remember in maybe ninth grade, I had to do a presentation in my science class on oranisms. It included a poster with pictures to be put up in the main hallway of the school. I finished mine at the last possible second, and taped it up next to all the others thinking " thank god that's finally done". The next day the poster was sitting back on my desk face down. Apparently I had forgotten two very important letters in the title to my poster. Instead of Organisms? Orgasms...now remember back to your early high school years, how mortified would you have been??? lol. To this day if I have to write that word I sound it out after I've written it.....just to be sure
Reminds me of my FIL. He makes those jokes all the time.

Last one he said: " I nearly had an organism when I watched those two Lebanese women on TV kissing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
You reminded me of me favorite joke!

Three poodles meet on a street corner. The little white poodle sidles up to the other two, "My name's Fifi: F-I-F-I." The brown poodle replies, "My name is Mimi: M-i-m-i." The black poodles gives them each the onceover and says, "My name is Fido: P-h-y-d-e-a-u-x!"
That is cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
A Matrix fanfiction:
Most all fan-fiction is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I've seen the non-word, "prolly," half a dozen times in threads just in the past couple of days. What's up with that? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I suppose it's the posters' shorthand for "probably," but it makes them look stupid!
Regional I am guessing.

Quote:
They sell, so for writers who can work in that genre, there's some money to be made.
After hubby's first work was published, he was told that he would sell quicker and easier of he wrote a few fluff smut books, while he worked on other stuff in his spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And I just saw a couple of my own typos.

Yes, I know better - but my fingers don't, I guess.

Not being perfect is one good reason to cut others some slack
I am very good good at "wobbly spelling", so I don't fault people too often for that.

~My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
A. A. Milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I know this thread is mostly for printed errors, but one of the funniest moments I've ever heard on the radio was when a female caller, talking about politicians, said, "And the hippopocrisy..." The host, without missing a beat, said, "And the rhinocery!" That went completely over her head, and she just kept talking!
We use that one at home all the time in jest. DD was about 5 yrs old, when she tried to call someone a hypocrite for the first time, but she ended up saying "hippo tit"; so now it's a household thing.

Quote:
I also saw "midas well".
I thought Midas had the golden touch, wait now he has a WATER SUPPLY too?! No wonder he's king!

Quote:
Yes, and in the spirit of "three strikes and out", we do have to give some leeway for human error. Sometimes typos just happen. However, serial misspellers have to be flagged and dealt with severely if they continue to commit egregious errors.

Three misspellings on a document meant for other than personal use, and you get time in the stocks in the public square.
Again, wobbly spelling.

Quote:
You just have to be careful if you're going to say something like that just because it amuses you. Like my friend (who really thought it WAS "Oldtimer's") who was babbling about "Oldtimers" within earshot of someone whose mother really did have Alzheimer's disease. That could be construed as making fun of someone's parent's suffering.
Yeah, it could; but it usually isn't in the context we use it in.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Without rewriting it, I'd say, "my now-girlfriend's and my first date..."
Is it correct to use the possessive in both of them? Would you say "Mary's and Bob's first date . . " , or "Mary and Bob's first date . . ."? The subject of the sentence is "Mary and Bob" and the possessive is "Mary and Bob's".

I think the defining factor there would be whether there was joint ownership or not. "Mary and Bob's bank accounts are both joint". But Mary's and Bob's bank accounts are separate". If Mary and Bob jointly own the date, it is Mary and Bob's first date. If Mary and I jointly own the date, it is, by logical extension, "Mary and my first date."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing