Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM

16,907 posts, read 16,150,008 times

Advertisements

One of the stupidest things that I recall in my life is: Art Class.

I remember being graded on my artwork. I recall how I was supposed to follow certain rules and guidelines to do art correctly.

No thanks. I'll do my art the way that I see it and I will write in my own artistic manner - screw all those who perform like lemmings.

Good job, Mark Twain. I like it.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
One of the stupidest things that I recall in my life is: Art Class.

I remember being graded on my artwork. I recall how I was supposed to follow certain rules and guidelines to do art correctly.
I know exactly what you're talking about! I had an English teacher in high school who criticized a poem I'd written because it was in (hold onto your hat, if you've got one) free verse, as opposed to good old, traditional iambic pentameter. After that day, my opinion of that teacher--as well as teachers in general, come to think of it--went down a couple of degrees.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,833,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about! I had an English teacher in high school who criticized a poem I'd written because it was in (hold onto your hat, if you've got one) free verse, as opposed to good old, traditional iambic pentameter. After that day, my opinion of that teacher--as well as teachers in general, come to think of it--went down a couple of degrees.
Was the assignment to write in iambic pentameter?

Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think this is so sad. Teachers who criticize free writing (of any kind) harm more often than not.

I was lucky. I actually had a teacher in college (English 101) who praised free writing. For our final term paper he gave us a list of quotes and we had to pick one and write what it meant to us. As soon as I saw the quote I wanted to use I KNEW I had to write this as a free verse poem. I did so and received an A. The teacher also asked me if he could keep that copy because he wanted to use it for future classes. I was young and let him keep it. (Ah, I still have my own copy!) I feel honored that he wanted to use it.
This is what teachers should encourage.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic, but it does fit in because negative teachers can hurt a student's progress. We witness that negative progress every single day on these forums.
I've always been a writer and am a nerd who loved English classes. Somehow I managed to get a ton of teachers who helped me develop my skills.
I wish this was the way ALL teachers were/are. Sadly, they too are only human.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:46 PM

70 posts, read 236,001 times
I've had it with people using the apostrophe incorrectly.

Examples: 20's, 80's, 1980's.

I see it very often. It drives me nuts.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Art teachers are not supposed to teach creativity. The are supposed to teach the mechanics of the various mediums that can be used for free artistic expression. You can't paint if you don't know how to clean a brush or prepare a canvas. An artist must be two things: A creative person, but also a craftsman who understands the physical properties of the materials he is using as an artistic medium. The latter, craft, must be learned. Don't expect the artist to reinvent the wheel. A sculptor can't sculpt until he knows what rock does when you hit it with a hammer.

Similarly, if a literary artist is to effectively create works, he needs first to be well-grounded in the properties of the building blocks (words, phrases, punctuation marks, orthography, paragraphination, font, etc.). He must lean the craft of using the tools.

(Yes, I said "mediums" to distinguish it from "media", which is likely to be interpreted wrongly by some readers. "Mediums" are oil, charcoal, pastels. "Media" is (yes, I said "is") a singular phenomenon in our culture comprised of magazines, TV, film, ways that artistic works can be disseminated.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,633,918 times
Quote:
...a 14 year old boy - into a comma.
Found this one today, and couldn't help but post it here.

Sounds painful!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM

62 posts, read 241,515 times
My husband and I are particularly annoyed by an advertisement that has been on television for some months now. It is an advertisement for a college. The young man, who is proud and happy with his results from attending the college says, "me and my brother". I wouldn't be interested in that college.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Found this one today, and couldn't help but post it here.

Sounds painful!
Going into a Comma doesn't sound nearly as painful as going into a Colon, which would be exposing your Asterisk, and could result in a Full Stop, which is worse than Dieresis.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-10-2012 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Going into a Comma doesn't sound nearly as painful as going into a Colon, which would be exposing your Asterisk, and could result in a Full Stop, which is worse than Dieresis.
Indeed--the prospect of getting punctuated doesn't sound like fun, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing