Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
"Rule of Thumb." It refers to an old law in England back in the 17th century when it was OK to beat your wife with a stick or a cane, as long as it was no thicker than your thumb.
Do ya think the ACLU would object if we tried to get a petition goin' to bring it back?
I think that one's an urban legend.

From Wikipedia:
[b]elief in the existence of a "rule of thumb" law to excuse spousal abuse can be traced as far back as 1782, the year that James Gillray published his satirical cartoon Judge Thumb. The cartoon lambastes Sir Francis Buller, a British judge, for allegedly ruling that a man may legally beat his wife, provided that he used a stick no thicker than his thumb, although it is questionable whether Buller ever made such a pronouncement (poor record-keeping for trial transcripts in that era make it difficult to determine whether such a ruling may have existed). In the United States, legal decisions in Mississippi (1824) and North Carolina (1868 and 1874) make reference to—and reject—an unnamed "old doctrine" or "ancient law" by which a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no wider than his thumb.
Rule of thumb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
Baseball has probably contributed more idioms to American English than any other source. There are literally hundreds of them. In addition to the more obvious ones:
Southpaw, left handed, arises from the fact that the pitcher faced west on a baseball diamond, so the batter would not face into the sun in afternoon games.
Rain check, originally the stub of a baseball ticket that entitled the holder to a replacement ticket if the game was rained out. Before baseball, most games were played right through rain.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,461,466 times
This isn't so much a phrase or word but I thought something really interesting. I was doing some research on typefaces when I stumbled on an essay about something so simple and so taken for granted that it's impossible to reverse our perception of it: word spacing.

Paul Saenger has been writing in depth on the subject for years. Word spacing was never conventionally employed in times earlier than the 1100s, actually predating the printing press itself. Literacy and familiarity with the text was presupposed, therefore written traditions, used only to aid in oration, were conventionally without spacing, punctuation or cases. All the words ran together. It was only when Latin speaking clergy encountered the utterly linguistically foreign Celts that word spacing was employed to ease translation. This also led to more efficient transcription, as monks had til then been forced to limit lines of text to shorter, more easily memorized character series.

Remember, literature was an entirely oral tradition. If you can believe it, there was no such inclination as silent reading, sitting down and reading--to oneself--a work of epic poetry, a story, or a declaration. Because words set to the tangible page weren't structured to that purpose, only for recitation. It's word spacing that was a watershed innovation in our perception of language itself, and communication. Seems impossible to think without it.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,304,468 times
Many phrases are taken from Shakespeare's plays.

I recently heard "leading them down the primrose path" and found out it is from Hamlet in one instance meaning that someone is leading you down a path of destruction knowingly or a flagrant libertine (my paraphrasing with the second definition is not to hot).

"There's the rub"

Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM

34 posts, read 36,351 times
"Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out" started being used after the Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy movie Pat & Mike came out, which means to get out quickly. There's a scene in the kitchen where they're both trying to trying to enter and exit, and the door keeps hitting them both on the butt.

Last edited by CJFinnegan; 03-29-2010 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Used the word "movie" twice

Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times
"Pulling out all the stops" comes from the use of pipe organs, on which stops are used to control the air in the pipes. Pulling them out further increases the volume.

"Drat it" was a contraction of "God rot it".

Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,654,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Drat it" was a contraction of "God rot it".
And since you remind me, "zounds" is a contraction of "God's wounds."

At rather the other end of the religious spectrum as regards phrases, "amen" is actually an acronym for the Hebrew--or more accurately, the Aramaic--el melech ne'eman (God is a faithful King).

Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And since you remind me, "zounds" is a contraction of "God's wounds."

At rather the other end of the religious spectrum as regards phrases, "amen" is actually an acronym for the Hebrew--or more accurately, the Aramaic--el melech ne'eman (God is a faithful King).
I knew about zounds! There was a music studio in New Jersey with that name that I used to see from my train. I thought it was a clever name.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,091,425 times
Awesome thread!!!

"In A Pickle"-This came from the Middle Ages and trade across the North Sea. Pekel was a solution used for brine (pickeling), for flavoring and preserving foods. "To sit in the pickle"=a troublesome situation.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:00 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,461,466 times
"Cockamamie" is a fun one. It and "decal" are apparently related: Back in the 19th century there was a huge trend of using decorative image transfer that swept through Britain and France. The French term was décalcomanie, from décalquer (the transfer process) and manie (mania, craze). Decalcomania continued for decades, perhaps no longer a mania but still a viable though progressively less impressive kind of craftwork. The very end of taste came later when kids started using transfers from candy wrappers for decorative effect, so the Brooklyn-ized "cockamamie" assumed the cast of cheapness and artificiality.

How trends come and go. But so much quicker nowadays that I don't think fads have such staying power as to germinate many resilient words. Words that are basically fun, that is. Sadly, I think "babydaddy" is here for the long haul. Ironically, "LOL".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing