Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM

26,890 posts, read 27,080,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
... it was referred to as "one for the road." If he declined, that prisoner was "on the wagon."
Ooops...I've just been informed by the friend who e-mailed this that both are FALSE. I also looked it up on Snopes; apparently this is another urban legend. Sorry! (Snopes writers assume that "on the wagon" is most likely a variant of "on the bandwagon," to identify oneself with a political movement or social cause.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,700,513 times
"Remember the Alamo"

Maybe this will make some Texans uncomfortable, but it's all perfectly true:

Gail Borden, a journalist living in Brooklyn, was covering the Texas-Mexico War, and wanted to come up with a memorable phrase for one of his articles. It appears that he succeeded admirably.

Incidentally, Borden later abandoned journalism. He devised a method for homogenizing milk, and founded a little company that went on to have some success. It was called Borden's.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,729,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I thought of one more.
Tweekers is a nickname used for methamphetamine users. It was explained to me that this comes from combining the words "two weekers" because apparently meth heads get so hyped up on the drug that they go very long periods without sleeping, even up to 2 weeks.
Cool. A modern, suburban cliche / saying. Way to go...yo!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Default Get your / my goat...

"That really gets my goat!" I heard this originated from a time when landowners / farmers used to race horses for sport. Often they would put a goat in the stall of their horse to keep it calm the night before a race. A wily opponent, looking to gain an edge, might steal the goat during the night hoping to increase his or her chance of winning. Thus "get my goat" as in "inconvenience / bother me" was born.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Mind you "P's" and "Q's"

I've heard two explanations...

One is that with original printing presses, the type characters for p and q were the same. So printers had to be careful not to reverse the characters, thus making a q where a p belonged and vice versa.

The other relates to drinking beer. As in "mind your pints and quarts"...As in "don't drink too much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing