Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

You might be interested in this: Clark Resource Council: Homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM

99 posts, read 245,299 times
Thank you to CptnRon for PMing me and providing a link to this thread.

My husband and I have lived in Clark for a year now and cannot imagine ever living anywhere else. That being said, we recognize it isn't for everyone. No, there are no gas stations, convenience stores or restaurants. Other than the folks who have ranched in Clark for a long time, most of us landed here precisely because we prefer the relative isolation to the traffic congestion, outrageous property taxes and growing crime in the areas we came from. My son and his wife want to move here; my daughter in Texas says she's glad we're happy but could never live "way out" like this. To each his own, of course. I like the Pronghorn and Mule Deer as neighbors.

You need to bring your work with you or be comfortably retired since the closest two cities are Powell and Cody and either one is a solid 30 miles from Clark. My husband works via the Internet and I am an artist, so Clark is perfect for us. For shopping other than the WalMart in Cody, most of us trek the 70 miles up to Billings, Montana occasionally where you can find just about anything

Good water up in the Line Creek area can be touchy because of the previously mentioned gas well blowout, yet we have good friends there who have some of the best water around. Our property is east of Line Creek on road 8VE and our well taps directly into an aquifer that provides good, plentiful water. If you plan to purchase land here you might want to have a test done to determine water quality before you buy.

The winters here are more temperate than in the Southern portions of the state, but the wind does blow! We had one roar thru the canyon earlier this year clocked at 135 MPH and there was considerable damage to some homes.

I am only vaguely aware of the Western Heartlands issue but know lots of folks here who will be knowledgeable on it. I'll check with them and post my findings in a few days.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
I just moved to Cody a couple of months ago and have visited Clark a couple of times. It is smack in the middle between Cody and Powell, is a small community of ranches and nice country people. Both times I have been out that way the wind was calm but have heard lots of stories about raging winds at certain times of year.

We loved the fact that it was isolated, that the people were so warm and friendly. People don't move to Clark for great shopping or an abundance of culture and entertainment options. They move there because they want space and quiet.

The first thing we noticed about the place was the rock. It is everywhere. More than I have ever seen in one place. But there are ranches that have cleared portions of their land and the land looks good and productive.

We drove through the community and then further into the canyons behind it, and the land is absolutely gorgeous back there. I took some pictures:
Wyoming Wind Songs: Undiscovered Treasure

Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 AM

58 posts, read 193,849 times
Ann , thank you for posting , if you could post anything about the heartlands please do ! i bought 2 lots there last year and if there is anything to know it would be great , i think i have heard mostly everything but there is always something to learn. i have not heard anything other than the well explosion in clark , and a few weeks ago the realtor said a well has been drilled real close to my lots and it was excellent water quality at 12 gpms .

im actually coming out this wednesday ... so excited to get out of PA for a few days . and plain on taking a drive up that canyon road juneaubound posted .

Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM

30 posts, read 98,194 times
225 -

I took the same drive last June up and around Clark - definitely some spectacular scenery. I had a good laugh with the wife when we were driving around "looking" for the town and realized, when we pulled over to check the map, that we were parked right in the middle of it...

Let me know how you make out with your well water investigations (depths, GPM etc) as that would be my biggest concern before building. Have a fun & safe trip.

Josh

Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 PM

5 posts, read 10,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You might be interested in this: Clark Resource Council: Homepage
Great link, CptnRn. I think I will "jine up."

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM

99 posts, read 245,299 times
I've asked asked several people about the Western Heartlands issue. It is all connected to the blowout that happened ten years ago. The area affected is known as Line Creek and yes, there are still water issues there. There is actually a meeting coming up tomorrow evening between those landowners who are affected and the powers-that-be. If I hear anything new I'll report back here with it.

To the best of my knowledge no other areas of Clark (192 square miles of it) have been affected. My husband and I bought land several miles to the East of Line Creek and have had no problems with our water. As a matter of fact our well taps directly into an aquifer; we only had to drill 70 feet and have a well capable of producing 70 gpm. It was the second well we had to drill, but not because of the water being bad - our driller did the second one free just because of the way the first one was drilled and it had come in at 49 gpm. It is good, clean wonderful tasting water.

We are staying with some friends for a few days, pretty far out on Line Creek which is considered the back country. Their water is unaffected, so I think many places are O.K. That being said, if I owned or was considering buying land in this (Line Creek) area, I'd have the water tested.

Josh, that's too funny about you and your wife driving around looking for the "town" of Clark. When Bill and I moved here friends back in Texas wanted to see photos of Clark. We showed them all kinds of beautiful shots and they would say, "That's nice, but what about the town?" We tried to explain that there IS no actual town. They kept asking things like, "But surely there's a gas station .... a convenience store ..... Nope. Lots of wildlife though!

225digger, I am so sorry to just be seeing your post. So did you come out earlier this month and take that drive up the Canyon Road? We always take visitors to the Canyon and over the Beartooth Highway. The scenery is just breathtaking.

Those of you who are moving here, can't wait to meet you. This is a wonderful place to live if you like isolation and spectacular views.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 AM

58 posts, read 193,849 times
Ann ,, i actually did not make it out , had a flight booked and ready to go then a family issue and business took me for a ride , ill still be coming out just not exactly sure when possibly before end of june , i need to see how things pan out for me and my business {good stuff not going under thank god!}

Old 05-25-2011, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 28,595 times
Don't see that happening where someone leases out! Why? The developer wouldn't sell another parcel period. I own parcels 15 & 16.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 28,595 times
Default keeping up with latest news.

Anyone concerned about this or any other issue about Clark can go online to Cody Enterprise. Its local newspaper keeps me informed. Fyi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming