Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 38,753 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Wyoming. We are wondering about the resort jobs and housing for a couple with no children. Can anyone give us information? We will be relocating in early 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:48 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
What kind of work experience do you and your husband have?

What education do you have?

What work are you willing to do?

Are you looking for jobs with one employer, or do you want individual jobs?

What kind of housing/living situation do you want? Employer provided?

Keep in mind that the winter resort season starts in the late fall. Coming out in mid season (early 2008) will make finding housing and jobs much more difficult. If you're seeking a ranching type situation, that most likely won't start hiring until late spring.

What income level do you require/want?

There's so many variables here that your question(s) need to be a little more focused to be able to provide realistic answers.

Perhaps you might begin your employment search at Search Results for "wyoatwork.com", or similar statewide job listings online.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 38,753 times
Thanks for responding Sunsprit. I have 20 years of Banking and 17 years Payroll Manager/Accts Payable/Receivable. My husband has Accounting/Finance background. He has some College and I business school. We basically are looking for jobs with Medical Insurance and enough pay just to cover housing expensive - rent and utilities. Housing would be apartment or any living arrangement they have for a married couple with no kids/pets. We want to experience the snow season before making the major decision of buying a home. We have heard that housing is hard to find - and of course - our concern is getting to and from work. Neither of us have lived in snow area before and look forward to the experience. Again, Thank You for your response and hope to hear more from you.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
While I believe that opportunities exist for you in many resort areas of Wyoming with your professional skills, I have reservations about what might appear to be a huge paradigm shift for the two of you.

I urge you to go back through a lot of the threads posted here about the realities of living in Wyoming. There's a lot of material here about the climate and the harsh life that this place can be for many people. Having not lived in a cold climate before, this may be more than a very extreme leap for you.

Planning to move here in the middle of the cold season would aggravate one's ability to plan appropriately and get settled in for the winter life. I'd urge you to delay moving here until summer, familiarize yourself with the area (services, shopping, medical, recreation, neighbors, pace of life, etc.) and learn in advance on site what preparations local people do for the winter season in your area.

If after having read the posts on this site about Wyoming winter life you're still on for a grand adventure, then check out the Wyoming jobs websites and see if there's jobs available for both of you. Be prepared for much lower wages than you may have earned in prior positions ... although a possibility exists now and then that you'll see comparable good salaries in places where your talents and experience are in short supply and high demand. Having found job possibilities, then you need to search for housing in the reasonable access area to the jobs. Distances here may be a lot greater than you're used to ... and may be a big factor in whether or not a particular job is viable or not for you to consider. Wintertime commuting can be problematic in some areas of the state ....

Should you find a specific location of interest, please post back here and we'll see if there's any further advice about such a move. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,426 times
I have lived in Wyoming on and off for six years, and never before have I seen anything like winter in Wyoming. I love snow and I really enjoy even the big snows, but this place get's the wind and the snow. If you open the front door to your house it is ripped out of your hands and there it is, THE WIND. It is in your face and you can't breath, you can't run and you can't hide. I moved here from a state that if we got one inch of snow the schools shut down and life as we knew it came to a stand still. Not in Wyoming! They work no matter what. The kids maybe out of school if the snow is big enough, but the work will go on. You will haft to drive in it. I have been on I-25 in the middle of the day when a snow storm hit and in a very short time we could not see anything. A big school bus came up beside us and after it left our side we never seen it again. Bright Yellow, and we could not see it. I have been on the phone with family back home and they could hear the wind and me in the house. I have learned alot about me since I moved out here. You haft to really be strong. The pay sucks! And the people are very different. If you have never been here in the winter, don't sell your house till you check it out. Wyoming is not for softies. When you see these signs that say Cowboy up, that is what they mean. Think long and hard before you make a move like this.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On our way to Mo View Post
I have lived in Wyoming on and off for six years, and never before have I seen anything like winter in Wyoming. I love snow and I really enjoy even the big snows, but this place get's the wind and the snow. If you open the front door to your house it is ripped out of your hands and there it is, THE WIND. It is in your face and you can't breath, you can't run and you can't hide. I moved here from a state that if we got one inch of snow the schools shut down and life as we knew it came to a stand still. Not in Wyoming! They work no matter what. The kids maybe out of school if the snow is big enough, but the work will go on. You will haft to drive in it. I have been on I-25 in the middle of the day when a snow storm hit and in a very short time we could not see anything. A big school bus came up beside us and after it left our side we never seen it again. Bright Yellow, and we could not see it. I have been on the phone with family back home and they could hear the wind and me in the house. I have learned alot about me since I moved out here. You haft to really be strong. The pay sucks! And the people are very different. If you have never been here in the winter, don't sell your house till you check it out. Wyoming is not for softies. When you see these signs that say Cowboy up, that is what they mean. Think long and hard before you make a move like this.
hahaha Great description. For the novice that have never experienced Wyoming, here's two bits of advice.

1) It does not snow in Wyoming. It snows in Montana and blows across to Colorado.

2) Snow does not melt in Wyoming. The wind blows it around until it wears it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming