Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM

26 posts, read 49,561 times

Advertisements

Hi all, retired couple from Mn, now living St. Augustine Florida looking for summer rental in or around Jackson Hole. Is it possible to rent for several weeks without having real deep pockets? We'd like to see the area and might be open to a house swap. Can you reply even if you don't have a property as to whether or not this is even done. I have read that the land is all mostly park property so the land and real estate is very expensive. Thanks, Jim jwrichter10@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrichter View Post
Hi all, retired couple from Mn, now living St. Augustine Florida looking for summer rental in or around Jackson Hole. Is it possible to rent for several weeks without having real deep pockets? We'd like to see the area and might be open to a house swap. Can you reply even if you don't have a property as to whether or not this is even done. I have read that the land is all mostly park property so the land and real estate is very expensive. Thanks, Jim jwrichter10@yahoo.com
Think in terms of Naples, FL as a measure of comparison ...

How easy is it to find places there that don't require "real deep pockets"?

My recollection of St Augustine is that it's a mite uncomfortable for those of us acclimated to lower humidity and temps than are to be found in a most pleasant Jackson WY during the summer months ....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:29 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Unless you have business or social obligations that require you to be in Jackson, you might consider other parts of the state. In my area (Sheridan), summer rentals are at a premium but not impossible to find and slightly less than what I hear out of the Jackson area.

Idaho is a great place to summer in or near mountains and is often overlooked, as are some of the ski areas of Colorado. I have friends that rent summer places there (CO) for family and business gatherings at relative bargains. Great off-season rates. They choose CO because it is easier for people from other areas to travel to and from, compared to many places in WY.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Think in terms of Naples, FL as a measure of comparison ...

How easy is it to find places there that don't require "real deep pockets"?

My recollection of St Augustine is that it's a mite uncomfortable for those of us acclimated to lower humidity and temps than are to be found in a most pleasant Jackson WY during the summer months ....

That may have been true years ago but not anymore. Naples Florida is one area where the real estate has dropped more than 50% and rentals and resales are plentyful. Deep pockets don't apply there anymore.

Can't dispute the temperature issue, actually it's not the humidty but the dew point that makes one uncomfortable. NE Florida is much better than the southern areas of the state but still a factor.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM

58 posts, read 193,825 times
i cant remember what site i saw it on , i think i just type vacation home rentals in google .... but last year i seen one house for weekly rental in the WAPITI valley between cody and yellowstone for i think 700 a week , had a kitchen and 2 bedrooms .

one thing you may also want to try is finding a good real estate agent in the area you want to vacation in , they often know where rentals are ..... only bad thing would be going up in the summer when its tourist season , i would start now

Old 12-27-2011, 09:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
there is one other possibility and that is a nice 5th wheel trailer. You don't have to have anything to pull it with as there are plenty of places that will move it for you. But call ahead and have it set up on a lot and summer in it. In the fall, have it moved into storage (most storage runs less then $75 a month for outside storage, more costly if you want inside storage). That would guarentee you a home at minimul cost, probably running $500 a month hooked up to power water and sewer. The added plus is after you summer a couple years you might find someplace you like better and it's simple to move your summer home. You don't have to live with the neighbors, scenery, business' that are near you, simply move down the road a ways and tie it down again.

You can have an RV dealer come out and winterize your trailer for about $300. They drain all holding tanks, blow out the lines, put chemicals in all tanks and lines that prevent moisture buildup and freezing. They seal up windows and vents, and make sure the rig is parked on wood instead of dirt.

I lived in an RV for about 10 years, but I wintered in it too. But I was traveling back and forth across country to do my job.

Something to think about.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 AM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
Have you looked on VRBO.com?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrichter View Post
That may have been true years ago but not anymore. Naples Florida is one area where the real estate has dropped more than 50% and rentals and resales are plentyful. Deep pockets don't apply there anymore.

Can't dispute the temperature issue, actually it's not the humidty but the dew point that makes one uncomfortable. NE Florida is much better than the southern areas of the state but still a factor.
As I have some friends who are developers in the area, I'm aware that the prices in Naples have dropped ... from stratospheric to merely expensive ... which has put some of their projects on hold for the moment.

Similarly, we have seen prices soften in the Wyoming area for second home recreational properties in Jackson, and resort developments like Cordillera or Bachelor Gulch in Colorado have almost dropped off the map ... with 70-80% declines in property asked prices. But that's for resales and the marketplace for rentals remains relatively into "deep pockets" territory because for most distress property owners, given the choice between renting out at a minimal price point with attendant loss of use/value/repairs to keep it in marketable condition vs. keeping it vacant and sustaining the losses ... they'll generally keep it vacant unless the rental price point cash flows to relieve a distress financial situation.

Overall, I'd say that there are very few properties available for rent at distress or even "affordable" rates in Jackson ... where tourism is a prime income stream producer and the summer months are still a high season. It's only in the months between ski season and summer that will present a number of real "deals" even today.

RE: Humidity vs dew point for comfort perception ... measure it any way you want, but I've spent enough time in Northern FL coastal areas as well as far inland (Greenville) to know that 95% humidity even in temps as low as the mid 60's-70's is downright uncomfortable after spending most of my life in a region where mid 20% humidity presents at almost all temps (-dd below zero to mid 90'sF) unless there's active precip in progress. The bottom line is that one's perspiration doesn't evaporate and cool effectively in the high humidity ... hence the perception of a much hotter temperature and attendant discomfort. The extensive use of refrigerated air conditioning aggravates my discomfort with the continual cycling between outdoor ambient conditions, A/C in the car, and A/C in buildings/homes/commercial buildings ....

Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
there is one other possibility and that is a nice 5th wheel trailer. You don't have to have anything to pull it with as there are plenty of places that will move it for you. But call ahead and have it set up on a lot and summer in it. In the fall, have it moved into storage (most storage runs less then $75 a month for outside storage, more costly if you want inside storage). That would guarentee you a home at minimul cost, probably running $500 a month hooked up to power water and sewer. The added plus is after you summer a couple years you might find someplace you like better and it's simple to move your summer home. You don't have to live with the neighbors, scenery, business' that are near you, simply move down the road a ways and tie it down again.

You can have an RV dealer come out and winterize your trailer for about $300. They drain all holding tanks, blow out the lines, put chemicals in all tanks and lines that prevent moisture buildup and freezing. They seal up windows and vents, and make sure the rig is parked on wood instead of dirt.

I lived in an RV for about 10 years, but I wintered in it too. But I was traveling back and forth across country to do my job.

Something to think about.
That's a agreat idea, thanks for the input!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Not sure where ElkHunter is getting his numbers from for Jackson area RV parking rates ... in Jackson itself, there are two RV campgrounds that I've been in touch with (re my 19' Class B RV that only requires an electrical hook-up) and their summer time rates for up to a 25' RV were between $65 to $79 per night with no discount for a monthly rate.

They both apparently are booked up through the summer on transients at their full rates and don't need to discount for summer nights except for qualified RV discount programs ... Good Sam, AAA, etc.

These parking site price points are a lot more expensive than $500/month .... and don't include the cost of the RV, either.

There are parks in the area with RV camping available at nominal price points, but there are number of days stay limits and these would require moving your RV about every two weeks to another area. In some cases, after 14 days you may have used up your entire seasonal allocation of time in a given forest property; ie, you can't just move to another campground in that property, you've got to leave.

While I'm now traveling in an RV by necessity for a job, I'd be very reluctant to want to spend a vacation summer in an RV park with minimal elbow room to the next RV campsite. Some folk do and it's OK for them, but my perspective may be a bit different ... especially with owning properties in Vail, CO to satisfy my need for a mountain home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming