Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,020 times

Advertisements

Actually ? we're pretty well-versed (out here) on 'the facts' (as they pertain to the 'cultural/economic/socio-political-centers-of-the-universe' also known as: New York City, D.C., Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and San Fran Sicko) because that's ALL we get rammed down our throats by the network-news reporters, broadcasting from said-centers-of-the-universe.

Not saying that Wyomingites (as a whole) would prefer to have more 'attention' paid to us (from the outside world) because they would eventually lead to a growing population; something most of us likely would not appreciate, even if more tax-dollars WOULD increase the amount/quality of goods and services.

No...most of us like the population-levels right where they are (for the time-being) and hopefully the flailing-economy will
keep those incoming-hordes from viewing Wyoming as a 'welfare-state' , for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Actually ? we're pretty well-versed (out here) on 'the facts' (as they pertain to the 'cultural/economic/socio-political-centers-of-the-universe' also known as: New York City, D.C., Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles and San Fran Sicko) because that's ALL we get rammed down our throats by the network-news reporters, broadcasting from said-centers-of-the-universe.

Not saying that Wyomingites (as a whole) would prefer to have more 'attention' paid to us (from the outside world) because they would eventually lead to a growing population; something most of us likely would not appreciate, even if more tax-dollars WOULD increase the amount/quality of goods and services.

No...most of us like the population-levels right where they are (for the time-being) and hopefully the flailing-economy will
keep those incoming-hordes from viewing Wyoming as a 'welfare-state' , for quite some time.
Well, that's a good thing. I can understand and respect your desire to keep Wyoming as is.

But, come on, the part about 3-6" of snow was just ridiculous and simply not true.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 AM

...having orig come from the tri-state area, I have VIVID memories of how much trouble just ONE inch of snow/slush on the roads, caused the people back there during the winter months.

Of course, back then (before the early 90's) 'all-wheel-drive' was'nt nearly as reliable, nor could many afford that addition to the few vehicles who could come installed with it; and of course tires were (to some degree) of lesser-quality as well.

One thing I have noticed however, in the 19 yrs since I've been out here, is that people are REALLY pushing the limits, behind the wheel; and if the pace of life in (Chicago ?) is nearly as 'fast' as I imagine it to be, I would'nt be surprised if 3 to 6" would cause 'issues' in very short-order; at least in the early-stages of winter, when people have'nt gotten thier 'snow-legs' (tires ?) back yet...

...it does take a little time to re-learn to 'read' the road-conditions, and adjust speed and control appropriately. I've only had one slight mishap, in all the years I've driven on snow/ice...actually make that two; there's a big 'ding' in the lower guard-rail heading south towards Jackson (just up the hill, after passing Triangle-X Guest Ranch) on hwy 191 that my old 82 half-ton made, as I was heading back to Togwotee late one night on icy-roads, in 95'....yup...that was me...

It happens to almost everyone I guess, eventually...but nowadays I hardly even bother putting my 92 Silverado in 4-wheel-drive, unless I'm heading off the ranch-road to town for groceries...

...driving in 4x4-mode reduces gas-mileage dramatically...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM

159 posts, read 442,810 times
The cons are the wind and herds of cattle in the road.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 AM

Can't help ya about the wind; it's there, it'll always be there...but cattle in the road means I MIGHT have the prospects of a ranch-job; which is essentially the only thing I live and breathe for.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:13 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
Cattle on the road are the best speed zone sign ever made. People look at the speed zone sign along the highway and they smirk and keep right on speeding. People look at the 1200 lb cow critter standing on the road, and they slow down.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestick View Post
Wind is what keep you from falling over. After 3 days of wind, I stepped outside today, leaned into the (non-existent) wind and almost fell!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:01 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Hmmmm..........what's it like to live in Wyoming:

1. I eat more buffalo burgers and elk steak than I do beef

2. It feels like it hasn't rained in forever and may never rain again

3. The mountains are all around me and the sunsets are gorgeous

4. Five minutes outside of any town in the state and you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere

5. There are horses everywhere - lots of people ride but lots of people also have them as pets

6. When you walk out on BLM land in the summer you will see rattlesnakes, when you walk out on BLM land any time of year you will inevitably see the remnants (bones, skull, carcass) of some dead animal

7. In this town deer walk through the streets of town all the time, graze on people's front lawns, sit in the shade beside the library or a store. A couple of bears have been seen in town this summer, and there have been a couple of cougar sightings just on the outskirts of town

8. Instead of checking the local listings to see what movie is playing, we drive out early in the evening to watch the wild mustangs

9. The people are all very conservative and greatly distrust the feds. All the talk now is about how we're going to get Obama out of office.

10.. Most everyone carries a gun.

12. The only guys wearing sagging pants are the tourists and they're now mostly gone.

13. You can't run away from drugs altogether but it's much less here than it is on the right and left coasts

14. Housing is more expensive than I would have thought it would be and salaries don't seem to be in line with the home prices

15. Cowboys. The real thing. The boots, shirts, jeans, spurs, hats and the dust.

16. The dust. It's everywhere.

17. So is the wind.

18. You can travel 50 miles and move from city/town to desert-like BLM to a mountain alpine environment. It is constantly, always changing.

19. Thank goodness I don't like to shop because there are few stores worthy of shopping in. Thank goodness we don't go out to eat very often because there are few restaurants worth eating in.

20. It can snow at any time of the year. I've heard stories about the 4th July parade being held in the snow. I've traveled across the Beartooth Hwy in the middle of June with 20 foot snow banks on either side of the truck and seen people snow mobiling, downhill skiing, tobogganing. The East Gate of Yellowstone didn't open until the second week in June last year because of avalanches and mud slides.

21. Animals come down out of the mountains in the winter and it is common to see abundant bison, big horn sheep and elk. You will see mule deer and antelope during every drive out of town.

22. I have seen some of the biggest and fanciest ranches in Wyoming, that I have ever seen in my life. Lots and lots of money in this state. Some of their owners stay here all year 'round and some of them simply visits their fancy places for a couple of weeks each year (and they have full-time live-in caretakers to watch their places).

There's probably more but I've run down my list for now.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 17,887 times
The sweet praire smell after a rain (when it does rain). My favourite smell in the world!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintrockfencing View Post
The sweet praire smell after a rain (when it does rain). My favourite smell in the world!
Right up there with the smell of gumbo dust, for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming