Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 22,663 times

Advertisements

My friend and I will be heading out to Bozeman and Yellowstone from New Jersey by car in a few weeks. I've been out in the area before and loved every second of the beautiful scenery. Heading back east, we'll be passing through the Bighorns. Two years ago, we took US 14, the more southerly through them and it was amazing. I can't decide if I want to change it up a bit and take 14A or just stick to what I know to be beautiful and hang onto 14?

I'd like some input on whether 14a worth the change or if I should just take 14 again?
What's everyone else's personal suggestion?

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
14A is a beautiful route. However, it isn't open yet. I'm not sure exactly when it opens. I'm sure Elkhunter has a better insight on that.

14A is an absolutely beautiful route though - if the road's open!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM

would you suggest it over 14?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 PM

774 posts, read 2,581,759 times
I like it better than 14. In general, though, I try to go new routes whenever possible so I can see the differences.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Hi Joe, I'm orig from your part of the world (Ocean/Monmouth Counties) and I would suggest taking 14 instead of 14a.

If you're coming from the west, I'd fill up in Greybull...

14 is more of a 'gradual' climb (compared to 14a) and offers more oppurtunity (along the way) to stop and take pictures; there's actually a pull-over rest-stop where you can take some great shots of an awsome high-mountain waterfall.

Once up top, there's a great mountain-lodge with an awsome restaurant where you can let your vehicle cool-off after your ascent into the mountains...

I envy you your road-trip; as you head towards Burgess-Junction, you might see a dirt/gravel road 'Hunt Mountain Road'...In 95, 96 and 98 I lived out of a cabin and tended cows for a grazing-association up there. I miss it alot.

God Bless

Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Hi Joe, I'm orig from your part of the world (Ocean/Monmouth Counties) and I would suggest taking 14 instead of 14a.

If you're coming from the west, I'd fill up in Greybull...

14 is more of a 'gradual' climb (compared to 14a) and offers more oppurtunity (along the way) to stop and take pictures; there's actually a pull-over rest-stop where you can take some great shots of an awsome high-mountain waterfall.

Once up top, there's a great mountain-lodge with an awsome restaurant where you can let your vehicle cool-off after your ascent into the mountains...

I envy you your road-trip; as you head towards Burgess-Junction, you might see a dirt/gravel road 'Hunt Mountain Road'...In 95, 96 and 98 I lived out of a cabin and tended cows for a grazing-association up there. I miss it alot.

God Bless
That's funny I'm actually from Middletown. I appreciate your input. I've taken 14 before and loved it so much. I was going to change it up a bit and try 14A but I think I'm just going to revisit 14. It was too great to pass up. Thats awesome that you used to live out in a cabin. I'd love to tend to cattle out west for a few years. Maybe I'll wind up doing that when I grow older.
Thanks again for the input.
Take care

Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Highway 14A is still closed, however I've heard through the grapevien that they are plowing no and looking at an early opening. They are not giving a date but should be soon.

Between 14 and 14A I would take 14A if it's open. I think the scenery is a lot better and has better photo ops. The road will just be open so you will have areas that the snow is 12 ft straight up along the highway but it would still offer great beauty.

As I type this, it is snowing on top so that's not helping matter.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Highway 14A is still closed, however I've heard through the grapevien that they are plowing no and looking at an early opening. They are not giving a date but should be soon.

Between 14 and 14A I would take 14A if it's open. I think the scenery is a lot better and has better photo ops. The road will just be open so you will have areas that the snow is 12 ft straight up along the highway but it would still offer great beauty.

As I type this, it is snowing on top so that's not helping matter.
We're planning on being in that area during the second week in June so hopefully the weather will work out well enough to plow through it. I appreciate the help. I'm still so indecisive just because I'd love to relive the past trips I've done and revisit 14. I'm honestly thinking of just taking the extra few hours and heading east on 14A, wrapping around back west on 14, and leaving the area east again on 16 to our campground at Devil's Tower.

Does anyone think that would be a bit excessive as far as time management goes?

Thanks!
-Joseph

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephcapella View Post
We're planning on being in that area during the second week in June so hopefully the weather will work out well enough to plow through it. I appreciate the help. I'm still so indecisive just because I'd love to relive the past trips I've done and revisit 14. I'm honestly thinking of just taking the extra few hours and heading east on 14A, wrapping around back west on 14, and leaving the area east again on 16 to our campground at Devil's Tower.

Does anyone think that would be a bit excessive as far as time management goes?

Thanks!
-Joseph
That is an excellent idea! 14 and 14A will be open by then and that would be such a beautiful trip. There are lots of things to see on both and the drive between Worland and Buffalo also has such beautiful scenery. I might warn you that there is construction on 16 that starts about 10 miles out of Shell and runs about 2 miles.. They have a pilot car running back and forth so expect a delay of about 10-15 minutes. (I haven't been over the 16 route for a couple years, but my neighbor is the person driving the pilot car and I talked with her yesterday. )

One of the lodges on the 16 trip is closed. They closed about 2 years ago for a complete rentovation and they are scrambling to get that completed but don't think they'll be up by the beginning of tourist season.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I was going to suggest the Buffalo to Worland route, but someone beat me to it! When we drove over the mountain a lot (lived in Gillette for 3 years) we took both mountain passes just to change it up. Both have their own beauty. I love the red hills and rocks as you come out of Tensleep. That would be a nice change if 14A isn't open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: