Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

They can keep Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Target, and any kind of Mall out of the state and it wouldn't bother me a bit.

This is exactly what people have been talking about on this forum for a long time.

Wyoming's charm that attracts folks is the little mom and pop stores. the one on one service. But as the people move in, they want to drag their malls with them and then wonder why the little mom and pop stores dried up and went away.

As to water in Lander and Saratoga, I haven't heard of any water problems in those areas. We have water problems in this area because if you drill all you hit is coal. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 01:04 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Elkhunter is right. The large chains can and will only offer the same stuff nationwide. Mom and Pop stores offer variety and income for the owners. If they are forced to close - where will they go to work?? Your tourists are lured into the small shops - we want to find the unique items that the large chains aren't going to carry.

The web page that is on the information package I mentioned earlier is: Wyoming Carbon County Travel & Vacations

Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 AM

41 posts, read 143,666 times
That's what happened here in PA - Walmart moved in and the smaller stores couldn't compete and had to close and now walmart dictates what you buy and how much you pay for it. Elkhunter - WMR mentioned outside the city of Lander isn't the best as far as water goes and I received a copy of the "final " water report for Cow Creek Station subdivision in Saratoga and it stated that the water 'is massive in comparison to the proposed use' and 'will provide a long term reliable supply for the subdivision.' I haven't been to Saratoga, fell in love with Lander the first time I was there; so if I have to final word on where we move betcha you know where it'll be.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy18 View Post
That's what happened here in PA - Walmart moved in and the smaller stores couldn't compete and had to close and now walmart dictates what you buy and how much you pay for it. Elkhunter - WMR mentioned outside the city of Lander isn't the best as far as water goes and I received a copy of the "final " water report for Cow Creek Station subdivision in Saratoga and it stated that the water 'is massive in comparison to the proposed use' and 'will provide a long term reliable supply for the subdivision.' I haven't been to Saratoga, fell in love with Lander the first time I was there; so if I have to final word on where we move betcha you know where it'll be.
You received a report that said there is Lot's of water. Did it mention if it's drinkable? How much mineral is in it? How deep do you have to go to find it?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 AM

Elkhunter, I'll summarize the report - it's 6 pages long. 'Drilling depths are expected to range from 100 to 300 feet depending on location within the subdivision and landowner preferences. The water quality analysis, and taste sampling, confirm that the water quality is very good for domestic purposes. Test results indicate that total disolved solids can be expected to range around 200 milligrams per litre. This is the Plattoga Ranch (company), Carbon County - I couldn't find anything on the mineral content - will do some more research over the next few days.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Elkhunter, I'll summarize the report - it's 6 pages long. 'Drilling depths are expected to range from 100 to 300 feet depending on location within the subdivision and landowner preferences. The water quality analysis, and taste sampling, confirm that the water quality is very good for domestic purposes. Test results indicate that total disolved solids can be expected to range around 200 milligrams per litre. This is the Plattoga Ranch (company), Carbon County - I couldn't find anything on the mineral content - will do some more research over the next few days.
Sounds like the water is good and easily obtainable. If they're saying that it meets standards, then your probably ok. The only thing the mineral content is going to show you is if your going to need a water softener or not.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM

yep, doesn't seem like a water problem around the Saratoga area, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for something in Lander. So far it doesn't sound good. We have spring water plus a well (that coal co. put in just in case we lost our water when they stripped part of our property) that we use for outdoor watering only. My husband has doubts about having water delivered or us having to go get it - which we did see one of those huge tanks on a trailer so they could go get their water. I still have some time to keep digging around and these threads are helping alot. thanks for all your posts.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 144,462 times
My parents live outside Lander which is where I grew up.......they have hauled their water for 20 years now. They did use a water hauling service but the person who 'ran' it wasn't very reliable - but that was several years ago. So they bought a trailer and a cystern and haul it themselves. I think it gets kindve time consuming is the only downfall.

I noticed that all the (new)homes in that new subdivision a couple miles north of town all have cisterns, which I would wonder about. I have to say that I agree with your husband weezy that I wouldn't build a new home and not have a reliable water supply....seems kindve risky. That is probably why there isn't alot of building outside of lander - yeah there is some but not as much as you would think for such a scenic area. it just seems like it might cause problems with property value issues - but I am not the expert. My parents are planning on selling in a year or two so I guess we will find out then.

Last edited by jessame10; 03-04-2008 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks Jessame. I can't seeing us moving somewhere to retire and have to worry about how we are going to get water. My dreams of living outside Lander might end up being over 30 mi. away in Riverton. I know that a lot of the newer homes have private or shared wells which is better than having to rely on someone. By the time this is all over my husband will probably get his way. lol

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,246 times
Quote:
I received a copy of the "final " water report for Cow Creek Station subdivision in Saratoga and it stated that the water 'is massive in comparison to the proposed use' and 'will provide a long term reliable supply for the subdivision.'
Weezy, where did you find information about the Cow Creek Station subdivision and the water report? I have been looking at property online and not seen anything about this subdivision. This isn't the type of property I am looking for but am interested in the Saratoga area. This water issue makes me curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming