Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,058,471 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I made a reservation online for the Uhaul and it didn't have any option to rent chains.. but I will call the local dealer and see what they have..

Well I have heard of block heaters.. If I remember right I think my dad said it went on a water jacket?? I could be totally off, a little tiny part that keeps the engine warm..

Thanks for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 12:15 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times
It's a heating element that goes in place of one of the freeze plugs, on the engine block, and you just plug it into a wall outlet. Yes it keeps the antifreeze/water mix from freezing up.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:27 PM

oh ok.. thank you..

Where can I buy one of those? Online I suppose?

Does everyone have those in their engines in Wy?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:59 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default engine block heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
oh ok.. thank you..

Where can I buy one of those? Online I suppose?

Does everyone have those in their engines in Wy?
If your antifreeze is rated for the cold you will be o.k. About the only vehicles "plugged in" in WY are diesel pickups when it's very, very cold. I have a Chevy duramax 3/4 ton crewcab pickup - it has an engine block heater in it but I've never used it. We did have one -35 morning when it wasn't crazy about starting but it did. If you do feel that you need one then have a mechanic put it in. I know of people who did it themselves but weren't really sure they were doing it right - big mistake.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Default Heater

A block heater is a must. It's simple to install. Don't go to a mechanic, it's not needed.

You simply cut a heater hose (directions are in the box) and line up the heater. What it does is when you plug it in to an electric outlet, it heats your water and circulates it. It keeps your engin at operating temp. So when you go out to start your car, it's already at temp. It turns over easily, starts easily, and when you hit the temp, it blows warm air. But you really don't need it until it hits zero degrees or colder. Until then, your car should start just fine. But once it hits zero, it's invaluable.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
A block heater is a must. It's simple to install. Don't go to a mechanic, it's not needed.

You simply cut a heater hose (directions are in the box) and line up the heater. What it does is when you plug it in to an electric outlet, it heats your water and circulates it. It keeps your engin at operating temp. So when you go out to start your car, it's already at temp. It turns over easily, starts easily, and when you hit the temp, it blows warm air. But you really don't need it until it hits zero degrees or colder. Until then, your car should start just fine. But once it hits zero, it's invaluable.
Oh see, I didn't know they had those type of setups. I learnt sumtin new everydaze. LOL.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default Block heater

Quote:

I don't know that they're a must or invaluable. I grew up in north central MT and the only thing we ever plugged in were the tractors. We didn't need the truck to blow warm air already when we got in. Of course you have to be pretty tough to even live there. -40 for days is not unheard of. I don't think we ever had a year where our calves didn't have frozen ears.

If you are reasonable mechanical and can read directions then yes, you can install it yourself but know your abilities. Not everyone can install them.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:

You're actually descriping a "tank heater." A "block heater" operates on the same principle, but it actually mounts in the engine block; as john65vette stated, it goes in the engine block in place of one of the "freeze plugs."

Either will do the job; block heaters are a little better because they heat the coolant in the engine block itself, which in turn heats the block and makes the engine easier to start and helps get it to operating temperature quicker. Heaters mounted in the radiator hose mainly just heat up the coolant outside the block which circulates through the heater core and makes your heater blow warm air as soon as it's turned on. The downside to block heaters is that they are more costly to install as it's a job few DIY'ers want to take on. Tank heaters are an easy DIY install; the downside is that if the part in the hose becomes corroded it can restrict coolant flow and cause overheating (easily avoidable by using ony distilled water in your cooling system) and in my experience (20 years selling the darn things) they are more prone to leak.

Final note, engine heaters aren't really intended to keep your coolant from freezing (if that were the case you would have to have seldom-used vehicles plugged in 24/7 during the winter months). The way to ensure that that doesn't happen is to use the corrent mixture of antifreeze for you climate.
Heaters are used to keep coolant at or near operating temerature to ensure easier starting and quicker warmup in extreme cold conditions. Plugging it in to a timer set to turn on a couple of hours before you expect to start your vehicle will save a ton of energy.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM

Well my husband ordered a block heater for me and will be putting it in this weekend.. With the cold Arctic Blast coming in, I heard it can get down into the negative teens in Sheridan this week..

So we have decided to go ahead and install them..

Thanks for all your advice

Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
block heaters are a good thing when it comes to convenience and minimal wear on start up for your vehicle. use an appropriately rated timer to control it if you know you'll be heading out at a given time in the AM to turn it on for a few hours.

if it's nasty enough road conditions that you'd need chains on the U-Haul, then it's way past time for you to be off the road. Find a place to stop immediately, a town, a motel, even a rest stop. but get off the road; and be sure to have a "travel kit" with you. Food, beverages, a good flashlight, sleeping bag/blankets, are essential little stand-by items. You may be off the road for a couple of hours, or maybe overnight, or maybe a day or so. Be prepared ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming