Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 AM

777 posts, read 3,198,553 times

Advertisements

After much research, I think the Northwest area of WY would suit my wife and I just fine....Cody, Powell, Wapti etc....now if we can just come up with a business idea, or a job to sustain ourselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Mechanical services and skills are very much in demand throughout the region.

While most rural people tend to be pretty independent ... up to a point ... and self-reliant, there comes a time when they must seek a professional.

In the bigger towns, there's a dearth of competent/qualified service people.

A service business ... HVAC, automotive, farm equipment repairs, welding, fencing, plumbing ... could be home-based with a modest shop building, and/or you could operate out of a mobile van/truck as needed.

Electrical/carpentry, building erection, landscaping ... all come to mind.

If you've got skills, good business ethics, and are willing to work for a fair price, the market is here for you.

You might also want to check with existing businesses of a type you are interested in working. There are more than a few that have been around for awhile and the owners are getting tired ... would retire or do a phased buy-in for the right person.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Mechanical services and skills are very much in demand throughout the region.

While most rural people tend to be pretty independent ... up to a point ... and self-reliant, there comes a time when they must seek a professional.

In the bigger towns, there's a dearth of competent/qualified service people.

A service business ... HVAC, automotive, farm equipment repairs, welding, fencing, plumbing ... could be home-based with a modest shop building, and/or you could operate out of a mobile van/truck as needed.

Electrical/carpentry, building erection, landscaping ... all come to mind.

If you've got skills, good business ethics, and are willing to work for a fair price, the market is here for you.

You might also want to check with existing businesses of a type you are interested in working. There are more than a few that have been around for awhile and the owners are getting tired ... would retire or do a phased buy-in for the right person.
All of those things would be right up my alley, with the exception of building erection. I thought about the mobile service truck thing also. Put a welder, and maybe one of those machines for burning out broken bolts out of holes.

My business ethics would favor the customer...maybe to much. As it is now, when I do things for folks here, I rarely charge them, and if I do, it equals about $2 an hour

Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
quite a few mobile welders in WYO, Think of something unique that you can bring, I'm sure you have something up your sleeve. (tho I highly recommend getting a 'cake' job at Vets home, and having more time to enjoy the area, rather than having to beat the bushes and compete for work) Maint, or building services / security on night shift will give you lots of free time. I used to get 10% or 15% shift premium + paid lunch breaks, and NO BOSSES. Worked for me, as I had a farm to tend to + homeschooling. Tho I have to admit ~ 50% of my funds came from buying property at right time and doing some fixing. (always buy something unique, as you don't want to be competing with the masses when you need to sell) unique = View, cute, large lot or parcel close in, good location, EZ commute, big shop, ability to improve zoning ... My best stuff has been 'distressed commercial', as once you get it rented... business owners are much more likely to pay rent and keep the place up, and you have A LOT ez'r ways to get them out. I'd find multi-use commercial (multiple tenants are a big +) and... With the current tax rules for sheltering gain from primary residence, there is really no need to work in an area with growing real estate values. DO NOT overbuy, that is a tough order in WY at the moment...For your career search, be creative (and realistic) keep capital outlay small, and bills paid. Things can go south FAST, especially in WY (Strong wind from North and West...) #1 have a good time, and take care of the wife and kids. (they can be real spendy to loose )

Old 01-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the good advice. As far as kids go, luckily they will be 18 and over by the time I get there. Been there done that on the divorce thing...me once my current wife twice neither of us wants to do that again.
My plan is to move with zero debt, and hopefully buy a house cash, so that I can live below my means.
I have been at my job for 15 years, and most of that has been on night shift I like nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming