Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 01:40 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Perhaps, you should start by learning what countries are actually in South America... People, who do not properly plan for the future can easily get priced out of their hometowns or even their homes. It happens everywhere. The cure for rising rents is a longterm, downward economic trend, and as you can see here, some would prefer that over job growth and the prospect of more expensive housing. Ironic how the California bashers would welcome subsidized housing, low income housing, rent control and a laundry list of other Big Brother offerings. The reports from Tucson are that it is conservative, mitary types from Cali moving there. I doubt it is much different in WY. Try going without products from California for a few weeks, you'll wish you simply boycotted Home Depot or Coke.
Re: the bolded. Couldn't be further from the truth.

We were in WY before, immediately loved Cody, were renting and really wanted to buy a house. It took five minutes of research online to realize that we couldn't afford to buy. We ended up buying a fixer upper in Idaho.

When we came back to WY after selling that house a few years later we were a little better situated financially but buying in Cody still looked dubious for us. After looking non-stop all over Big Horn and Park County for a home to buy we finally came to the realization that Cody was where we wanted to live and if we had to rent for years until something opened up that we could afford, that's what we would do. A few months later we got our home.

My point? When people are working hard and paying their own way, they live where they can afford to live. We lucked into our house, but many others commute daily to Cody from Clark, Meeteetse, Powell. I even know someone who commutes from Bridger Mt to work in Cody. I know folks who have left Cody and purchased "more home for less money" in places like Missouri and Tennessee and NC. You live where you can afford to live, and buy what you can afford to buy.

I hear complaints all the time around here (from those looking for cheap rentals) that we need MORE apartments, more Section 8, more low income housing. No. We don't. You get what you get when you bring in large numbers of people who cannot or will not pay their own way. There is a reason why locals are beginning to commiserate about having to lock their house doors and their vehicle doors now, when they didn't have to only a few short years ago. There is a reason that petty crimes, property crimes, drug crimes are beginning to increase. There are few apartments in Cody that are NOT low income now. I know someone who desperately was looking for a place to live. His income was too high for an available apartment. Do we need more? No. We don't. I've seen first hand what making those kinds of deals with the devil bring (your "subsidized, low income, rent control, laundry list of government funded ie. taxpayer funded - offerings'). You bring 'em in and it decimates the quality of life of a town. They have few skills and few (if any) ties to the community - no homes to own, no kids in schools, no volunteer callings, no church affiliations etc etc. So why care about the community?

So my friend, you are mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 02:04 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,404,630 times
I scraped and scrimped for seven years, and accumulated what I thought was enough money to make a bid on a home in Park County - boy was I wrong~

I ended up renting a dump in Meeteetse, just off the highway - where the jake brakes would wake me up every morning, as the downhill trucks have a penchance to do. It wasn't the best to live, because I had a long drive every day back to Riverton to work. But I was finally able to buy a piece of it on the lower Southfork. That house I loved, because it overlooked the Shoshone river and I could see the reservoir from my deck. Besides raising my animals, I spent a lot of time fishing and hunting there. The 2/2 on 6.5ac was $110,000. Taxes were less than $1,000

When I sold it eight years later to move to Guyana, it went for $196,000 BUT with all the improvements we made to it - barely broke even. Some told me it was pocket listed for $440,000.

The home I bought in Guyana was by comparison a MEGA mansion - for less than $150,000 US - we got a 5/4 home on the ocean, a gardener, a cooks and two maids and indoor plumbing (rare there). I stayed and worked there for 30 years and just recently left for Canada (my birthplace).

Old 04-26-2021, 02:21 PM

256 posts, read 263,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Why on earth would any old-school/conservative types leave here, when everything is hitting the fan elsewhere ?
Said this before and apologize for being a broken record. We had thought seriously about spending our winters/early springs in a better climate. We are those old-school conservatives and are finding it harder and harder to even travel out of Wy. Watching/hearing what is becoming normal in other states, I absolutely refuse to put up with that kind of behavior. I hope the rest of Wy thinks the same way and refuses to allow that behavior in our state!

Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Re: the bolded. Couldn't be further from the truth.

We were in WY before, immediately loved Cody, were renting and really wanted to buy a house. It took five minutes of research online to realize that we couldn't afford to buy. We ended up buying a fixer upper in Idaho.

When we came back to WY after selling that house a few years later we were a little better situated financially but buying in Cody still looked dubious for us. After looking non-stop all over Big Horn and Park County for a home to buy we finally came to the realization that Cody was where we wanted to live and if we had to rent for years until something opened up that we could afford, that's what we would do. A few months later we got our home.

My point? When people are working hard and paying their own way, they live where they can afford to live. We lucked into our house, but many others commute daily to Cody from Clark, Meeteetse, Powell. I even know someone who commutes from Bridger Mt to work in Cody. I know folks who have left Cody and purchased "more home for less money" in places like Missouri and Tennessee and NC. You live where you can afford to live, and buy what you can afford to buy.

I hear complaints all the time around here (from those looking for cheap rentals) that we need MORE apartments, more Section 8, more low income housing. No. We don't. You get what you get when you bring in large numbers of people who cannot or will not pay their own way. There is a reason why locals are beginning to commiserate about having to lock their house doors and their vehicle doors now, when they didn't have to only a few short years ago. There is a reason that petty crimes, property crimes, drug crimes are beginning to increase. There are few apartments in Cody that are NOT low income now. I know someone who desperately was looking for a place to live. His income was too high for an available apartment. Do we need more? No. We don't. I've seen first hand what making those kinds of deals with the devil bring (your "subsidized, low income, rent control, laundry list of government funded ie. taxpayer funded - offerings'). You bring 'em in and it decimates the quality of life of a town. They have few skills and few (if any) ties to the community - no homes to own, no kids in schools, no volunteer callings, no church affiliations etc etc. So why care about the community?

Got a fixer upper in Idaho? Aren't the property taxes alot higher in Idaho compared to Wyoming?

Old 04-26-2021, 02:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Got a fixer upper in Idaho? Aren't the property taxes alot higher in Idaho compared to Wyoming?
We got lucky, lived in an extremely isolated area, and the taxes were less than here (can't remember but my husband either got a senior or a military discount on property taxes - a few hundred less than what we're paying now). Mortgage payment was low, but we heated with baseboard electric and woodstove both, and it was STILL very expensive to heat the house. And having to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest gas station and grocery store got expensive as well. Thankfully we're simple people with simple needs, and a love of being left alone. Liked it there just fine but Wyoming was in our blood by that time, and we just knew that this is where we would end up for good.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
We got lucky, lived in an extremely isolated area, and the taxes were less than here (can't remember but my husband either got a senior or a military discount on property taxes - a few hundred less than what we're paying now). Mortgage payment was low, but we heated with baseboard electric and woodstove both, and it was STILL very expensive to heat the house. And having to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest gas station and grocery store got expensive as well. Thankfully we're simple people with simple needs, and a love of being left alone. Liked it there just fine but Wyoming was in our blood by that time, and we just knew that this is where we would end up for good.
A military discount helps. You had to drive 60 miles round trip to the nearest gas station and grocery store? Where in Idaho was this at?
Was it expensive to heat house because it was a big house? or because of electricity rates?
Where in Wyoming did you finally end up?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:43 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Housing costs are up everywhere. Depending on location how much. I live in rural SD and houses here are selling for close to 50% more than one to two years ago. I am looking at places on the Oregon coast and they are two to three times the price from one to two years ago.

Same here in Florida, I am in a suburb of Jacksonville. I sold my house in June 2019 for $275,000. We sold because we needed a bigger house. I looked two weeks ago and see that the person who I sold my house too is selling.. she lists it for $350,000

I look about 3-4 days after the listing and it says it is under contract and at $375,000. I have to wait for the closing to see what price she got but let’s assume it’s $375,000

That means she made $100,000 on a house in 2 years.

It seems to be a sellers market everywhere where there is freedom and in a place to get away from urban areas. (Wyoming, Florida, , even upstate NY in Hudson valley we’re we lived previously , New Jersey and Connecticut since all the commies in NYC are fleeing that cesspool too )

Old 04-26-2021, 09:55 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Housing costs are up everywhere. Depending on location how much. I live in rural SD and houses here are selling for close to 50% more than one to two years ago. I am looking at places on the Oregon coast and they are two to three times the price from one to two years ago.
Ditto NW Washington. On a hyper local Social Media platform, people who have lived here for some time are are trying to buy their first home or a larger one if they added a kid or two are being priced out by buyers with ready cash who outbid by $100,000-$200,000 or more. See this recently sold home for example that was listed for $549,000 and sold for $752,000: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15821194

Old 04-26-2021, 11:10 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:

I cannot +rep this reply enough and I cannot yell this any louder. These things, especially in bold, are what KILLS great places to live. Period. It is a fact of life. If you want to prevent the riffraff from ruining great areas you must push back against this crap wholeheartedly.

I'm sure all of us have examples of this, and one of my first hand experiences is a sad one. In 2011 my wife and I built a ~3,000 sq.ft. house in Little Elm Texas for ~$172k (same house floor plan was selling for $300k in the neighboring Frisco Texas). It was a steal of a deal and a great well-built house in a great small neighborhood surrounded on three sides by a lake and on the other by a sparsely populated at that time US380 highway. No strip malls, no apartments, no run-down trailer parks and only 2 neighborhoods for 5~7 miles in either direction. Fast forward to 2016 or so and the rentals, strip malls, apartments and section 8 started to move in. The low cost of entry meant more people could afford to get in to a neighborhood that maybe didn't have the business to by either section 8 or by the multi-family route. In my opinion if you cannot afford to live in a neighborhood with your own means without the help of another family's income then you do not deserve to live there--and yes that's harsh but a fact of life. More and more houses were sold by their original owners in our old neighborhood who built them to companies and rental investors which then went the section 8 route. From 2016 to 2020 when we moved out the crime really took an uptick to the point where since we left there have been murders and and shootings in that neighborhood. Right before we left vehicle theft and armed home invasions were more common than should of been. Heck there were two instances were someone jiggled our door knob late at night. At least we were prepared with our 2A tools but those that weren't and left a door unlocked were home invasion / murder victims waiting to happen. The crime was the last straw for me personally and not the exorbitantly high property tax (~$7,500/yr).

When we sold our house right before the covid nonsense shut it all down the couple buying it who we thought was a nice successful couple from Pakistan to raise their kids decided to turn it in to a section 8 house instead as they likely saw the short-term income potential. My wife drove by a little while ago while in the area recently and said our house looked sad, all of our landscaping is dead and the house just looks unkempt. What a waste of a beautiful well-built house. Now that whole area and town are nothing but the equivalent to an inner city with the crime, low income housing and section 8 everywhere. I loathe what's happened to the area I grew up in and around. So, no, absolutely do not want any of that nonsense in WY, ID, MY or UT or anywhere else frankly. It's a plague that needs to be prevented and I want to be as far away from that as humanly possible.

Last edited by Mister Torgue; 04-26-2021 at 11:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I cannot +rep this reply enough and I cannot yell this any louder. These things, especially in bold, are what KILLS great places to live. Period. It is a fact of life. If you want to prevent the riffraff from ruining great areas you must push back against this crap wholeheartedly.

I'm sure all of us have examples of this, and one of my first hand experiences is a sad one. In 2011 my wife and I built a ~3,000 sq.ft. house in Little Elm Texas for ~$172k (same house floor plan was selling for $300k in the neighboring Frisco Texas). It was a steal of a deal and a great well-built house in a great small neighborhood surrounded on three sides by a lake and on the other by a sparsely populated at that time US380 highway. No strip malls, no apartments, no run-down trailer parks and only 2 neighborhoods for 5~7 miles in either direction. Fast forward to 2016 or so and the rentals, strip malls, apartments and section 8 started to move in. The low cost of entry meant more people could afford to get in to a neighborhood that maybe didn't have the business to by either section 8 or by the multi-family route. In my opinion if you cannot afford to live in a neighborhood with your own means without the help of another family's income then you do not deserve to live there--and yes that's harsh but a fact of life. More and more houses were sold by their original owners in our old neighborhood who built them to companies and rental investors which then went the section 8 route. From 2016 to 2020 when we moved out the crime really took an uptick to the point where since we left there have been murders and and shootings in that neighborhood. Right before we left vehicle theft and armed home invasions were more common than should of been. Hell there were two instances were someone jiggled our door knob late at night. At least we were prepared with our 2A tools but those that weren't and left a door unlocked were home invasion / murder victims waiting to happen. The crime was the last straw for me personally and not the exorbitantly high property tax (~$7,500/yr).

When we sold our house right before the covid nonsense shut it all down the couple buying it who we thought was a nice successful couple from Pakistan to raise their kids decided to turn it in to a section 8 house instead as they likely saw the short-term income potential. My wife drove by a little while ago while in the area recently and said our house looked sad, all of our landscaping is dead and the house just looks unkempt. What a waste of a beautiful well-built house. Now that whole area and town are nothing but the equivalent to an inner city with the crime, low income housing and section 8 everywhere. I loathe what's happened to the area I grew up in and around. So, no, absolutely do not want any of that nonsense in WY, ID, MY or UT or anywhere else frankly. It's a plague that needs to be prevented and I want to be as far away from that as humanly possible.
Very correct on Section 8's and the slumlords to do that stuff. We have dealt with them many times before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming