Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 01:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,295,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Very doubtful in Wyoming. Basically the only land left that is even remotely affordable is the prairie. With Wy storms it's quite miserable to live on the prairie. The ranches are also worth more than if it were subdivided so that nice land won't be broken up into subdivisions.
Developer once told me" you don't develop land at development prices , you develop dirt cheap land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 06:17 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,426,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Developer once told me" you don't develop land at development prices , you develop dirt cheap land.
Cheap land is first to go down, in a downturn. Do you want to invest in real estate or used building materials, and risk having to compete with new builds at a lower price?

Old 04-29-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Cheap land is first to go down, in a downturn. Do you want to invest in real estate or used building materials, and risk having to compete with new builds at a lower price?
the big developments in Star Valley were bought cheap. Star Valley ranch , the ranch it was developed on was rocky poor farm land scrub timber pastures . the School Section next to it was more productive. Most other developments there were bought cheap, usually hilly dry farm with a few fur trees and quakes on the steep unfarmable portions and the forest across the property line. Some bought cheap and sat on for years after being platted for roads and power, and when things heated up they graded the roads and had the power plowed in, some was a long waiting game with only getting back from a share cropper , or selling grass for cows or horses.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:17 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Quote:
the big developments in Star Valley were bought cheap. Star Valley ranch , the ranch it was developed on was rocky poor farm land scrub timber pastures . the School Section next to it was more productive.
Boy you are not joking about the rocky part. I can barely make a hole big enough to stick my spade into before I hit rocks and lots of them. To plant our trees when we moved here we had to pay for a skid steer and drill into the ground and even then it had a tough time of it with all of the rocks We planted our aspens and Spruces and said that's it ,trees are done and haven't planted a tree since.

There's some nice farms down perkins and muddy string, but our portion of SVR is all rocks and sagebrush. Although prices here for land are going up, up, up. The plot next to ours used to be 15k for 1/2 an acre is now going for 50k. We should have grabbed it when it was cheap, but too late now. Land is being sold like crazy and houses are popping up everywhere. Property tax keeps increasing every year by a lot! Could be in another five years or so we end up having to move just because we can't afford to live here any longer. Such a shame.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:53 PM

233 posts, read 277,283 times
Quote:
the big developments in Star Valley were bought cheap. Star Valley ranch , the ranch it was developed on was rocky poor farm land scrub timber pastures . the School Section next to it was more productive. Most other developments there were bought cheap, usually hilly dry farm with a few fur trees and quakes on the steep unfarmable portions and the forest across the property line. Some bought cheap and sat on for years after being platted for roads and power, and when things heated up they graded the roads and had the power plowed in, some was a long waiting game with only getting back from a share cropper , or selling grass for cows or horses.

Sounds like land in Clark, Rawlins and over at WyTex ranch. Extremely poor if any soil at all.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwyocowboy View Post
Sounds like land in Clark, Rawlins and over at WyTex ranch. Extremely poor if any soil at all.
but in Star Valley a 1/2 mile down hill can make a difference for a plow .

Old 04-30-2021, 03:22 PM

561 posts, read 438,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Property tax keeps increasing every year by a lot! Could be in another five years or so we end up having to move just because we can't afford to live here any longer. Such a shame.
There's no way you'll end up with Texas levels of property tax in our lifetime. Our yearly tax bill for our house for 2020 would of been just under $7,600 in our county in Texas. I'm glad we sold right before the scamdemic happened because the house now is worth a ton more than when we sold and I shudder to think what that tax bill is now. While we make really good money and weren't going to be "priced out" of our home, it still was blasphemy to have it that high and what it may be now about a year later. Texas really isn't cheap to live like it was ~30 years ago so just because we don't have state income tax doesn't mean we aren't taxed all to hades and back. The gov't will get their money one way or another is what I tell people.

My point to the rambling is, I HOPE WY doesn't have property tax in the 2%'s like we do in Texas in some counties because that could be a deal breaker for those who earn a modest income with properties $400-500k or more.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:03 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
There's no way you'll end up with Texas levels of property tax in our lifetime. Our yearly tax bill for our house for 2020 would of been just under $7,600 in our county in Texas. I'm glad we sold right before the scamdemic happened because the house now is worth a ton more than when we sold and I shudder to think what that tax bill is now. While we make really good money and weren't going to be "priced out" of our home, it still was blasphemy to have it that high and what it may be now about a year later. Texas really isn't cheap to live like it was ~30 years ago so just because we don't have state income tax doesn't mean we aren't taxed all to hades and back. The gov't will get their money one way or another is what I tell people.

My point to the rambling is, I HOPE WY doesn't have property tax in the 2%'s like we do in Texas in some counties because that could be a deal breaker for those who earn a modest income with properties $400-500k or more.
$7,600 in property tax

How about no more than $2,500 MAX for property taxes?

Old 04-30-2021, 07:23 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,426,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
$7,600 in property tax

How about no more than $2,500 MAX for property taxes?
My new assessment on my house in Gillette was perfectly reasonable. The levy was fine, too, last year.. I hope it stays the same. I bought last November. They called me with a few questions about the purchase. Taxes are about like they are here in Central Virginia...somewhat below one percent of fair market. Similar to Nevada, but they got the sales taxes cranked way up. Virginia has State income tax, though, but is generous to retirees. Wyoming situation with revenues from the mines is not as precarious as Nevada's situation with gaming.

Last edited by DAXhound; 04-30-2021 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 07:28 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,476,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post

It won't be that high but it won't be cheap either. I am only familiar with Fremont County tax rates and it is about 72 cents (or 0.72%) per hundred of 'market value'. (Not WY 'taxable value' which is around 9% of market value in Fremont County). That tax rate is not unusual in other parts of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming