Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 11:03 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is no mention of "cowboy" in WY state motto and song. Only one of the many state symbols shows the recently trademarked BH&R (added to LP in 1935)

Just imagine how different "colorful Colorado" is interpreted in today's culture, vs when coined. Rainbows, being gay (happy).

Times have changed.
Get over it. Sometimes even cowboys have droopy drawers.. And piercings and tattoos, and wear a variety of clothing and hats. Some even wear helmets. And I'm sure some vape (or worse) and listen to rap.

It's of no concern to me, or you.

You be you, and happy with yourself

If other people and outside influences define your happiness or acceptance, you will always be gravely disappointed.

You've changed, and been shaped by 70+ yrs of experience and history. Don't let a single event or chapter define you, or you'll be an incomplete story. A "Has been", not a "will or can be". Relax and let your life be formed naturally, not to an image or mold defined by a mere human mind and a brief era of yesteryear.

Great to have had the experience and memories. Greater yet to still be excelling in service and benefit to your community . Bloom where you're planted. Move on when you've completed your unique service and contribution to your current circle of friends and community. Wyoming will certainly be different when you arrive, and will continue to change, as will each of us.

Enjoy the journey, it's a one-way trip.
Well, StealthRabbit, if we weren't concerned, we could live anywhere..........even in the middle of Chicago, NYC or Los Angeles.

As far as looks go in rodeo, that look is now being discussed pretty heavily online concerning a certain Bareback rider. And, I don't mean good/nice discussions either. There are young folks that don't like his looks of pierced ears and long hair. His dad had the same look and was teased quite a bit in the early 2000's. Many are hoping, of which didn't happen with his dad, that PRCA will take a stand against the look. Certain jobs, and other things, will take a stand against the look, but seriously doubt PRCA will.

Then again, there are young and old rodeo fans that simply don't like the look and voice that. "It's not country or rodeo and shouldn't be allowed", I've read.

IOW, there are those that are very open-minded about these things, and those that definitely aren't. And, just like how many seniors think about the changes that have happened to the Front Range, there are those in Wyoming that don't like the changes either. Nothing they can do about it, except voice an opinion, but they don't like it.

There were many, in northeastern Florida, that didn't like all of the crime that was there, but again, basically nothing could be done about it.

People and places change, but not always for the good. Many, many people will say that!

It would be extremely hard for me to imagine a farm tractor company salesman showing me a new John Deer and his arms are full of tattoos, both ears pierced and hair down to his waist. There would be customers that would say, "sorry, I'm not buying instruments for a Heavy Metal band, I'm buying a darn tractor!"

Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
Gosh.
You're funny, actually very, very funny! And, you took three replies to write that. Absolutely hilarious!!

Old 07-27-2022, 11:14 AM

So, my biggest question would be, just how many people, as in young and seniors, like the changes that have been/are happening to Wyoming?

Old 07-27-2022, 11:35 AM

565 posts, read 472,761 times
Stay tough Wyoming. I hope you will always be what America was.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 AM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
I was going to say that someone should run over to the Montana forum and warn them, but I see it's too late.....

Old 07-27-2022, 02:28 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,112,100 times
BB2, just because Wyoming put a bucking bronco and cowboy on it's flag and license plates (among other items), doesn't mean Wyoming is a cowboy state. That is simply State sponsored advertising. Just like Oklahoma is OK, Utah is the Beehive State, Oregon is the Beaver State, Washington is the Evergreen State (not many evergreens around the Tri-Cities), etc. There are certainly still cowboys working ranches in Wyoming and Montana, and there are rodeos in all western states, and probably in all fifty states.

I don't think there are a lot of seniors hanging out in diners or McDs talking rodeo and ranching. Just my observation, and from what you've posted, you don't seem to be able to find those seniors either. I think they talk current events, about how things were years ago, complain about young people, and all the changes going on around them (that they aren't really part of anymore). Ah hate this president, loved the last one... or vice versa. Great ribs at Joe's Shack last night... yeah that Joe sure knows his way around a BBQ. Can you believe they are building xxxx up at the end of Maple Street? I used to hunt on that hill when I was a kid. Yeah, I can't believe it. I bagged my biggest buck there about 20 years ago. can't believe it's all houses and stores now. Damn kids almost ran me over on the sidewalk outside Joe's the other night. I hate those electric scooters they all ride these days!!

BB2, i think you better get that new engine for your Durango. You have a lot of driving to do to find that one community that has an active senior community that talks ranching and rodeo on a regular basis, not just the week of the county fair/rodeo. Good Luck and safe travels.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:26 PM

400 posts, read 455,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
BB2, just because Wyoming put a bucking bronco and cowboy on it's flag and license plates (among other items), doesn't mean Wyoming is a cowboy state.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:44 PM

Well, Wyoming sure isn't like So California or NYC, is it? I'd relate Wyoming to ranching and rodeo much faster than I would relate to those two.

We've been thru Wyoming, as we headed up to Cody to go to Yellowstone. Seen a whole lot of grazing land.

We simply don't understand why anyone, whether living in Wyoming or not, wouldn't consider Wyoming "cowboy". Actually, I'd consider the same for Montana.

Not all of Wyoming has changed and I've got a reply from one forum member that hopes it doesn't totally change. I mean, who would want to go to Wyoming and see the same thing/things they'd see in Denver or Los Angeles???

Old 07-27-2022, 03:57 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,112,100 times
Sorry, I was wrong. It's the license plate, not flag. I knew that, just got caught up in the Cowboy State talk. My bad

Old 07-27-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
BB2, just because Wyoming put a bucking bronco and cowboy on it's flag and license plates (among other items), doesn't mean Wyoming is a cowboy state. That is simply State sponsored advertising. Just like Oklahoma is OK, Utah is the Beehive State, Oregon is the Beaver State, Washington is the Evergreen State (not many evergreens around the Tri-Cities), etc. There are certainly still cowboys working ranches in Wyoming and Montana, and there are rodeos in all western states, and probably in all fifty states.

I don't think there are a lot of seniors hanging out in diners or McDs talking rodeo and ranching. Just my observation, and from what you've posted, you don't seem to be able to find those seniors either. I think they talk current events, about how things were years ago, complain about young people, and all the changes going on around them (that they aren't really part of anymore). Ah hate this president, loved the last one... or vice versa. Great ribs at Joe's Shack last night... yeah that Joe sure knows his way around a BBQ. Can you believe they are building xxxx up at the end of Maple Street? I used to hunt on that hill when I was a kid. Yeah, I can't believe it. I bagged my biggest buck there about 20 years ago. can't believe it's all houses and stores now. Damn kids almost ran me over on the sidewalk outside Joe's the other night. I hate those electric scooters they all ride these days!!

BB2, i think you better get that new engine for your Durango. You have a lot of driving to do to find that one community that has an active senior community that talks ranching and rodeo on a regular basis, not just the week of the county fair/rodeo. Good Luck and safe travels.
Actually, a few weeks after we moved here to Loveland, we stopped at the local McDonalds (down the street) and talked to one older Senior, who was wearing a black felt cowboy hat and Wrangler jeans. He had noticed my baseball cap that had the CLA (Centennial Livestock Auction) logo on it, in Ft Collins and told us that he'd been there before with his nephew. Come to find out, he goes out to his nephew's place, in the eastern plains, sometimes to help him out. Him, my wife and myself had a nice conversation with him.

But, true, here in Loveland, where ranching, cowboys and rodeo are basically never talked about, the Seniors talk mostly about problems they have with young newcomers to the city. They remember when Loveland was much more "down to earth" than it is now and blame it all on the young folks. One older Senior lady even told us "We didn't invite these tattoo/body piercing parlors into our city. Next thing will be Strip Clubs and we darn sure don't need that stuff." Wife and I totally agreed with her.

And, as far as some middle-aged and older talking about ranching/cattle/livestock, just go into the small cafe at the livestock auction and they are in there discussing those three things. So, there are places to go, a person just has to find them.

IOW, cowboy/ranch and rodeo life isn't completely gone for any of the mountain states, as in Idaho, Montana, Wyoming or even in Colorado. And, I sure hope that doesn't change. As the old saying goes for Wrangler jeans, "long live cowboys" and Resistol's saying, "we live it every day". Advertising, yes, but true advertising!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming