Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times

Advertisements

Just for fun:

Sheridan Itinerary - One Week As A Cowboy:

https://www.sheridanwyoming.org/itin...k-as-a-cowboy/

Old 07-28-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Sheridan likes to put on a good show of being western especially during Sheridan Wyo week but mainly we are not. We do have lots of ranchers but we also have coalminer, railroaders and two of our largest employers are the VA and Sheridan Memorial. We also have a population of polo players that convene here every summer and a good sized golf community. Housing prizes are ridiculous. We do have a large elderly population and there are several options for that. I love Sheridan but it is definitely going thru some growing pains
I'm curious about the Polo -- how did Sheridan get polo grounds, and why?

Old 07-29-2022, 12:28 AM

215 posts, read 668,129 times
Sheridan is home of the Wallop family who are related to the royal family in England. They have had polo fields here for a very long time. Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth have both visited at different times. Other families have continued the games and they have matches every weekend thru the summer. They have going since 1893.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:56 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Just to let those know how we feel about polo: It's an equestrian sport, so, to a point, we like it.

I've said this before and will say it again, we AREN'T looking for a full cowboy/western town-area. We are simply looking for a town-area that is more cowboy/western than where we live now. Where we live now, the only cowboy/western things around is the chutes/corrals and such that are sold at Jax Outdoors here.

In fact, while at the Centennial Livestock Auction one time, a Brand Inspector talked to us. He told us that within a couple of months he is retiring and moving either further east (Plains) or somewhere else. He said "the area (Ft Collins) isn't what it use to be, so I'll be leaving. In fact, there are businesses around this Auction that would like to see the Auction either move or shut down."

Certain parts of Colorado is still cowboy related, whether ranch or rodeo, but Wyoming outdoes Colorado in both of those areas. At least that what we think and have seen.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Sheridan is home of the Wallop family who are related to the royal family in England. They have had polo fields here for a very long time. Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth have both visited at different times. Other families have continued the games and they have matches every weekend thru the summer. They have going since 1893.
That's fascinating. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
It's just so funny to both of us that there are so many cowboy hats at CFD during each performance, but, as I've been told, those hats simply go away after CFD ends. So, does that mean "into the closet" until next year?

Unlike during the years (10 1/2) we lived in northeastern Florida and our hats were in the closet 99% of the time, either our straw (summer) or felts (winter) are on our hat rack in living room. That's just the way we are.

And, as far as our miniature ranch/farm display on our counter, we are very proud of it. Some may take it as "childish", but we sure don't. It's a display to us and we love it.
Well, nobody has replied to my question I highlighted in red above.

I've heard of, and seen, people going to a western clothing store to buy either new Cinch or Wrangler jeans, new boots and a new hat to wear to a rodeo. My SIL (wife's sister) done just that with her Resistol straw hat. She told us that she bought it before meeting us in Las Vegas last December during the NFR. She didn't wear it for two days, until we all went to Cowboy Christmas. Then, in the parking lot, she put it on backwards and I had to tell her that she needed to turn it around. During 99% of the time we were in Vegas, wife and I had our black felts on. Thing is, my SIL isn't into rodeo at all, she basically came to Vegas because we were flying in for the NFR and wanted to see us.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:50 AM

400 posts, read 455,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, nobody has replied to my question I highlighted in red above.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:53 AM

256 posts, read 263,239 times
A bit surprised you haven't looked more towards Elizabeth, Co or such. Fyi, you'll be sorry you looked at Sheridan, unless your just killing time.

We ride 1-2 times a week. Usually more but we have to get our cabin finished. We ride two miles one way to get our mail. Not a cowboy/girl. Helped move cattle on several large ranches for the fun of it Just like to ride and I've yet to take one straight up in the bridal which is a goal before I die. A truck w plow won't touch our road in the winter. I plowed two miles of road over 25 times last yr. We're always outside. Don't need ac where we're at. No electricity. Solar and gens. Closest neighbor a mile away currently. Elk, dear, bear, turkeys, etc are our preferred neighbors. That's the Wyoming I like.

Rhinos are killing Wyoming just as liberals have destroyed the rest of the US!

Last edited by Wytempest; 07-29-2022 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-29-2022, 12:10 PM

Awe, come on, reply not cartoon! If I wanted a cartoon, I'd turn the tv on on Saturday AM.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
A bit surprised you haven't looked more towards Elizabeth, Co or such. Fyi, you'll be sorry you looked at Sheridan, unless your just killing time.

We ride 1-2 times a week. Usually more but we have to get our cabin finished. We ride two miles one way to get our mail. Not a cowboy/girl. Helped move cattle on several large ranches for the fun of it Just like to ride and I've yet to take one straight up in the bridal which is a goal before I die. A truck w plow won't touch our road in the winter. I plowed two miles of road over 25 times last yr. We're always outside. Don't need ac where we're at. No electricity. Solar and gens. Closest neighbor a mile away currently. Elk, dear, bear, turkeys, etc are our preferred neighbors. That's the Wyoming I like.

Rhinos are killing Wyoming just as liberals have destroyed the rest of the US!
Apartment rents are $1,900 and more and no mountains. We've been to Elizabeth before, for their rodeo, and, basically, would live in Cheyenne, WY before Elizabeth. Now, that's talking!

Anyway, we want OUT of Colorado.........period! Can't say it any clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming