Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 06:27 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
..........But that works out to around 0.8 violent crimes per day on average.

But that illustrates the fallacy of crime rates when comparing big cities versus small towns, that I have pointed out before on these forums. The actual daily rate of violent crime in Detroit is 38 per day... The calculation of a 'rate' by simply dividing by population is misleading.
1. Comparing the violent crime rate of Detroit (with a population of 635,000) to the violent crime rate of Riverton (with a population of 10,500) is comparing apples and oranges

2. Statistically almost 1 VIOLENT crime per day on average in a town of 10,500 would be a deal breaker for me when choosing a place to live. Maybe it wouldn't be a deal breaker for others. But it would be for me.

But even if the violent crime rate was lower than almost one incident on average every single day or every single week of every single year, there are additional truisms that need to be considered:

* There is a theory in law enforcement known as Broken Windows. Basically the theory states that crime, disorder, anti-social behavior that is permitted in a town leads to additional crime (including violent crime), disorder, and anti-social behavior (ie. fix the first "broken window" because if you don't it will lead to more and more broken windows).

Homelessness in LA started with one person setting up a tent on a city street or in a city park. Which led to another and another. And another.

One unfortunately elected DA decides he will redefine what is and what is not criminal behavior (and what he will and not prosecute), and eventually the bad guys become empowered and emboldened - and law enforcement (and hard working, tax paying, law abiding citizens) become disempowered and vicimized.

One drug addicted and/or mentally challenged individual urinates and defecates out front of a business and then terrorizes both the business owner and customers without repercussion, why would anyone be surprised when others do the same thing? It truly, absolutely, completely is not rocket science.

* Those hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizens I mentioned? They deserve better than to live in the kind of filth, petty crime, violent crime, and increasing disorder that makes up their town. I have wondered for a long time when it comes to large urban environments in this country (but the same applies to small Wyoming towns such as Riverton) how much do city leaders have to despise their own people to allow such things to not only exist but to also statistically flourish?

City leaders have an OBLIGATION to care for those who elected them, and who pay their salaries and pay for their benefit packages. In fact, allowing citizens to live in safety and order is a city leaders highest obligation. And for city leaders to impose increasing disorder (both through their actions AND inactions) on their community would demand that these same "public servants" be removed from office at the first electable opportunity. Work the problem or go find another job.

Last edited by juneaubound; 08-13-2023 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
And BTW, most of this is going on in Riverton along the main drag (Federal Blvd) and some of the low-rent areas to the east. Other parts of Riverton are not seeing this type of stuff.
1. Places that are safe to go into - and places that are unsafe to go into - is typically a big city consideration. People don't move to towns the size of Riverton to live in the same way they lived in Chicago or Baltimore or San Francisco.

2. Criminal behavior stays within boundaries for just so long. And then it expands its borders. There are examples all over the country where low life scumbags have invaded rich areas of town.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:29 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,472,508 times
The point to compare the large city rates to the small town rates is to show that the rates don't tell the full story. If you just look at crime rates alone, then even the 'safest' towns in WY are more crime ridden than Detroit, Baltimore, and St Louis. So that is why you have to look at the actual number of crimes per day or per week to get a true appreciation of the situation.

Total nonsense on the good vs bad parts of town being just a big city thing. But I don't blame anyone to not want to have anything to do with it.

I ain't telling you that you are wrong on all your points. But it is just a fact that things being as they are in Riverton is not just some totally new phenomenon.

I would blame the overall recent changes in criminal behavior mostly on the fact that a certain major political party has been enabling criminal behavior, blowing the borders wide open hoping to get more votes, openly denigrating the people who want to be decent and law abiding, and doing the stuff like defunding the police. They have emptied the graveyards digging for votes and are now supporting the side of society that believes in lawlessness. (Marxist S.O.P. from the early Bolshevik days.)

Old 08-13-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The point to compare the large city rates to the small town rates is to show that the rates don't tell the full story. If you just look at crime rates alone, then even the 'safest' towns in WY are more crime ridden than Detroit, Baltimore, and St Louis. So that is why you have to look at the actual number of crimes per day or per week to get a true appreciation of the situation.

Total nonsense on the good vs bad parts of town being just a big city thing. But I don't blame anyone to not want to have anything to do with it.

I ain't telling you that you are wrong on all your points. But it is just a fact that things being as they are in Riverton is not just some totally new phenomenon.

I would blame the overall recent changes in criminal behavior mostly on the fact that a certain major political party has been enabling criminal behavior, blowing the borders wide open hoping to get more votes, openly denigrating the people who want to be decent and law abiding, and doing the stuff like defunding the police. They have emptied the graveyards digging for votes and are now supporting the side of society that believes in lawlessness. (Marxist S.O.P. from the early Bolshevik days.)
No, lawlessness in Riverton is not a new phenomenon (crime stats for the past 12 years towards bottom of link): https://www.city-data.com/city/Riverton-Wyoming.html

I'll stick with my original statements that a) .8 violent crimes/day in a town the size of Riverton is unacceptably high and b) people don't move to small towns in BFE Wyoming with the understanding that there are go/no go zones

You and I are on the same page as it relates to Democrat policies that have served to increase lawlessness and decrease public safety throughout the country.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:48 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
No, lawlessness in Riverton is not a new phenomenon (crime stats for the past 12 years towards bottom of link): https://www.city-data.com/city/Riverton-Wyoming.html

I'll stick with my original statements that a) .8 violent crimes/day in a town the size of Riverton is unacceptably high and b) people don't move to small towns in BFE Wyoming with the understanding that there are go/no go zones

You and I are on the same page as it relates to Democrat policies that have served to increase lawlessness and decrease public safety throughout the country.
I don't know anything about Riverton and it's perceived or actual lawlessness. One thing I want to point out when comparing much smaller communities to large cities, is that in small communities EVERY law that's broken becomes a statistic. In a huge % of the large cities, there is so much that goes on there that never gets reported, either by the public or it's covered up (or ignored) by the powers that be. This skews these percentage comparisons a great deal.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I don't know anything about Riverton and it's perceived or actual lawlessness. One thing I want to point out when comparing much smaller communities to large cities, is that in small communities EVERY law that's broken becomes a statistic. In a huge % of the large cities, there is so much that goes on there that never gets reported, either by the public or it's covered up (or ignored) by the powers that be. This skews these percentage comparisons a great deal.
Look..............I'm not trashing on the town. We can talk about percentages or skewed statistics all day long. Ask yourself this question: If you wanted to leave a large city and were looking for a nice, safe small community to move to and raise your family, would you move to Riverton? If yes, why? If no, why?

The bottom lines are this: Riverton makes the national news for reasons I would think that it does not want to be known for. And I would refer you back to the original article posted at the top of Page 1 of this thread. Lawlessness (episodes big and small) have a unsettling, corrosive and toxic effect on the feelings of safety and overall quality of life of residents. The town will either fix it or it won't. I hope they do.

Thanks to all for the good conversation. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm monopolizing the conversation so will step out now and let others carry on.

Old 08-13-2023, 02:58 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Look..............I'm not trashing on the town. We can talk about percentages or skewed statistics all day long. Ask yourself this question: If you wanted to leave a large city and were looking for a nice, safe small community to move to and raise your family, would you move to Riverton? If yes, why? If no, why?

The bottom lines are this: Riverton makes the national news for reasons I would think that it does not want to be known for. And I would refer you back to the original article posted at the top of Page 1 of this thread. Lawlessness (episodes big and small) have a unsettling, corrosive and toxic effect on the feelings of safety and overall quality of life of residents. The town will either fix it or it won't. I hope they do.

Thanks to all for the good conversation. I'm beginning to feel as though I'm monopolizing the conversation so will step out now and let others carry on.
Sorry, I wasn't pointing your posts out in any way.

Rapid City SD is constantly belittled for the high percentage of crime there. Like as I mentioned, when it happens, it's reported.

I can relate to Riverton even though I've never been there. My great-grandfather homesteaded in NE Montana very near the Fort Peck Indian Reservation. I still have relation there. To this day, Wolf Point is sometimes referred to as "Stab City". The proximety to the Wind River Reservation for Riverton I'm sure adds greatly to their problems as well. It's just a fact that these rural reservations tend to not always be very safe.

The Fed. government with it's open immigartion policies, as you've mentioned, hurts everyone. It probably affects Riverton a little more since the policing there is not only local and state, but you've got the BIA as well. As we all know, all these jurisdictions don't always play well together.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:31 PM

60 posts, read 56,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Good point. My experience in Riverton is it's a small town and people like to gossip and find things to complain about. What constitutes violent crime? I've done contract jobs there and find it to be a pretty average town. Sure there are some homeless in the park but it's nothing compared to the tent cities on the west coast, Denver, Bozeman,etc.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,830 times
You can read about all of that here
https://rivertonranger.com/

Old 08-27-2023, 03:14 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
You can read about all of that here
https://rivertonranger.com/
https://rivertonranger.com/2023/08/2...1-in-a-series/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming