Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM

49 posts, read 210,311 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for ten years, had family here on and off almost 80 years, I'd agree with the first post. The economy is up and down, generally a blue collar scene, the weather is hard to love at times, and big city (over 100,000) transplants are likely to find our big cities (casper, cheyenne) desolate in comparison. We do have outdoors rec., hunting, and sports opportunities, if you don't like traffic or crowds, this is your place. It is a nice place for people over 30 or families who don't care about nightclubs, huge shopping outlets, ect. and want a quiet way of life. The summers are great here, the cost of living outside of Gillette is affordable, and if you have a great job lined up and can handle having to drive to Denver for concerts, more selection on shopping, ect. you will be fine. I would not expect this boom to carry a career for the long run, but it will hold out for a few years, so buy as if you had less income and you'll be better if the future economy slows, and if you are a welder, electrician, carpenter, or concrete worker there are more stable jobs and you are needed. It's not all doom and gloom for our future, but in the past these boom then bust periods were very devastating and only those who can live below their means or alter their line of work will make it through the lean times. I don't know that we are headed to a bust, but I am weary, the current oil and energy markets will not last forever! I love it here, and you couldn't make me move back east or to a big city again, I love the mtns, the independent and friendly attitude, and the way of life in Wyoming, I don't like the wind... before moving I would visit and drive around and look at the local papers and see for yourself if this is a place for you before discounting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,225 times
Default too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1988 View Post
ok... i was suppost to be moving to the casper, wyoming area in march of 07 and i have now changed my mind! what i thought was going to be a great place to live, has now become somewhere i never want to live. i was looking foward to moving to the area, but now after reading your two post, i have changed my mind.
Before you make up your mind about a place you should visit it yourself first. Remember that the posts on this forum are people's opinions for the most part. Don't ever let anyone else make judgements for you.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 PM

43 posts, read 147,062 times
amanda, if 2 posts can make you change your mind like that, then you're probably right in deciding not to move. Motivation is internal and it comes from having clear goals. It depends on what your values are. You have to decide that Wyoming has what you're looking for, not just hope that it will be the answer to an unclear question.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:22 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
My computer has been down for a few days. I would like to thank the people replying to my post. I figured this would open alot of hateful responses. I didn't want to make anyone not come to wyoming it is a great state. I just have seen alot of people with broken hopes of making it home. Leave that state when things didn't work out. I have seen Utah, Colorado, maybe southern Idaho.Have economies that are alittle more stable. I have friends in all the states that surround wyoming. So I can say that. I have seen cycliclal ecomomy in each state not mentioned. I guess really nothing is forever. But I just thought I might help people see the state clearly.
How I would come to wyoming as a person with a family now. Would be to treat it like a very long vacation. I'd rent, try to save up to pay for a house with atleast 1/2 down. I could then see the state, determine where I wanted to maybe live forever. I could see wheather I could stand the state. I could visit other states, employers, ect. There, and see what the others have to offer. Wyoming employers have the total upper hand there. They can and will open and close operations, hire/fire at will. You on the other hand maybe will have time, money, family invested in where you want to live. Long after the jobs have left. Even in the oilpatch I had to take second jobs, have my wife work too. Just to live. We never had to have the biggest house, newest cars, best of everything. But just to survive.
If you have the mentality of I will do whatever I have to to make sure my family is as comfortable as possible. You will do well anywhere you are. That is what alot of people looking at moving to wyoming have. But conditions will tell if you really do. I just got tired of having to do it, over and over.
The jobs in wyoming are very lucrative, but you will have to pay alot to live where they are.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Default a boom is a boom

I've lived in Wyoming through boom after boom. I love it. I will take no crap from anybody that this is the best place in the world to live. I've lived in South Dakota, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, Oregon, California. I now live in Wyoming and will remain here.

I've seen booms here. They come and they go. You can make good money during a boom. You can also loose your ass. Right now, we as a state, are looking at cooling the boom. We don't want 10,000 people moving in here. We want responisible citizens moving in here and adding to the well being of the community.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:22 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Right now, we as a state, are looking at cooling the boom. We don't want 10,000 people moving in here. We want responisible citizens moving in here and adding to the well being of the community.
What is the state doing to make this happen? Are they purposely cutting back? I personally think that would be a good thing for long time residence, as well as attracting more responsible people, and not just "Gypsy" types, looking to make a buck then get out.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:02 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
It's not the "state" that's doing anything to discourage new residents.

It's a combination of the economics of the temporarily booming extractive industries, declining ranching/ag base, and glitzy tourisim industries all dealing with increased costs of housing, energy, land, transportation, etc.

Wyoming has been a "private playground" for the ultra-wealthy for many years. They've bought up most of the big ranches and aren't particularly concerned if they make money in the cattle business. Look at the prices/acre asked for the ranches that can support about 1 cow/calf per 100 acres and compare to the sale barn price of beef ... you'll see there's no possible way to make money except through tourism, hunting, and fishing. Or be affluent enough that you just keep the place for your pleasure.

With dryland wheat in the $2.40/bushel range, and 40 bu/acre production, it's real hard to get an ROI with dryland in the $1,500 to $2,500 acre price range. Especially with $2.50/gallon diesel to run your $100K field equipment.

We got a laugh last fall when a new neighbor called to ask how long he could graze his 35 head of cattle on his 100 acre prairie dryland grass stand. I figured maybe 3-4 days before the grass prairie would be very damaged and take years to recover. He was pretty incredulous, thought we were pulling his leg.

I had to explain to him that the average size small ranch around here, the ones that are folding up because they haven't made ranching a living for years ... was 6 sections. That's almost 4,000 acres. Do the math ... how many cattle could you support? 40 head, tops, and not in our recent drought years.

Of course, you can bring in hay. Cow quality $120 ton in big rounds before transport cost. A cow/calf needs 26-30 lbs/day; those 35 head will go through a ton every other day, or $1,500 per month in hay alone.

So, be prepared for the real costs of living here. Best to live well below your means if you don't have an outside durable source of income like a pension or investment portfolio. The next wage crash will happen, it's just a matter of when.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM

138 posts, read 468,659 times
Thanks for saying it as it is... I have been here for 10 years; 10 years ago it was fairly easy to live here (as a registered nurse). Now, I am shocked at the cost of the majority of things! Hay was$80/ton last year- this year it is $150/ton- my last month's electric bill went from $70 last year at this time, to $180 last month! And MDU states a 47% rise in gas next month! I am not sure why the rise has been so high- is Wyoming trying to be a 'California?'. I do think some of the blame has to go to the farmers who are selling out- they are selling for the absolute high dollar to whomever they can. I cannot blame the Californians for raising the land cost entirely, when the local people are selling property for the same prices as in California-people are greedy, and want money, money, money!!! This state is in sad shape- they want to retain the old values it has had for many years, but are too greedy to say 'NO' when someone is buying us out. It is Wyomingites own fault that some of the prices are so high. The same for contractors- they arehappy to brag that they are building a house for $400,000 for example- the house is built 'cheaply' by him, and he wants all the profit. He does not care about building a quality home, just how much money can he make? This was a wonderful place once - how much worse will it get?????

Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,098 times
Thanks for not throwing all the blame at us Californians. I think most of them were not smart enough to do their research, so when they saw an asking price for a property, they just paid it without haggling...not very smart. They had $$$ and no brains.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:23 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
to johns65v ...

It's not so simple here as "do their research" ... Wyoming is a non-reporting state for RE transactions. That means there's no public record, no multi-list history to research of sales prices. Only the people directly involved in a transaction and a confidential report to the county assessor know the price paid for a property.

A realtor might share that knowledge which he gained in confidence with a buyer, but you can bet that it's only in a selfish interest to justify the price of a property you're looking at (which is also a sad commentary on the ethics and professionalism of realtors in Wyoming). I've also had appraisers disclose prices paid for comparables, which was totally unprofessional.

So, when you come looking to buy a property, price/value is in the eyes of the buyer. Take a property that hasn't changed hands in many years, and the seller can put an outrageous price on it ... relative to what he's got in it and average annual appreciation, or it's productive value. To an out of state buyer, it might look like a great deal, so it's sold.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-16-2007 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming