Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 33,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I would like to add my thoughts to this. My family moved to Wyoming in the winter of 1974. In the Oil Boom and the end of the Uranium Boom. We got there and did enjoy the boom. Good money, housing shortage, everybody had fun and did well. In 1982 when the Bust was really going strong.With company closing, bankruptcys, ect. I witnessed people with no jobs leaving the state by the hundreds. We had a joke going around then. With the closing of companies, mines, stores, ect. "Don't lend nobody money, they will lose their job and use it to leave." Towns in the state had thousands of empty houses. Just like in the movies. In casper the unemployment reached 14% at it's worst. The state barely existed, uranium mining died, oilpatch was on it's knees, coal was doing o.k. But the rest of the jobs of the state did horrible. The state mainly exists on the mineral industry, ranching, tourists. Companies looked past Wyoming as a place to open new projects in. The state did as best as it could and the new boom that started a couple of years ago is on. Remember this. There will be a bust. The mineral industry will go back in survival mode and people will lose incomes. The trickle down effect will happen to all jobs, in the state.The world will have a temporary answer to the energy shortage again. You will have better opportunities in other parts of the U.S. So you can go. You will not have any way to survive at the high paying jobs you will be used to. But you will heve the bills for sure.
I was good enough to have a job through the bust. It meant moving at my employers whim, taking a lesser paying/position at the company, working overseas, or whatever I had to do to keep the job.Through buyouts, mergers, takeovers, ect. I finally got tired of the work ethics of companies that I had been with and seen other people work for. I left in late 2004. I will be back in the state when I can afford to live on either lesser wages. Meaning paid off house, vehicle, ect. When I get there. Or my own business like I have in Tennessee. I plan on moving back in the bust, it should be in about 8 years. Unless the state legislatures get their heads out of their butts. And diverisfy the state to spread out the dependence of monies from the mineral industry. To other parts of it's economy. The ranchers and mineral industry have had a strangle hold on the legislative people of Wyoming forever. So that will probably continue. Good Luck! I will see what's left when I get back.
I'm sure this will envoke alot of replies. Great! I been there and done that!!! My friends and the people of Wyoming before you got there will agree with ME.
Most of you are used to things like medical care, 24 hour gas stations, going only 10 or 20 miles to get to the next town, shopping malls within easy driving, concerts, and such as life can be in more populated parts of the country. If you don't find what you want you just go to the next town and find it. Well in wyoming you won't find medical care at every town, sometimes you may have to drive for hours to get it. Gas stations 24 hour maybe but don't count on it. Have gas in the tank to get where your going and then some,oh take a spare tire, keep it full of air. Shopping malls, maybe. It may also be at the whim of the local merchants, ha ha. This can be terrible. Most malls are in large wyoming towns, can be hours away for the drive. Concerts, bands are going between denver and billings and saltlake. Catch them while you can. Your going to have to learn to think for yourselves.
Some of you will not like this letter, o.k. Some will think it's a personal attack, o.k. Some will just think I'm trying to keep you out of the state, o.k. Some will like it, here too o.k.
But remember it is a state like no other, has grand things, great places to see and go. Great people and animals. Don't spoil it, try to meld to the natives already there. Don't show up and change it to what your leaving behind in your state.
This writer is correct! Please leave your mindset where you come from; too many are moving here, buying our precious farmlands and building show type homes ...like 6000 sq feet for two people and a dog! Our water is in short supply and the nation is short on food..................

You will have to work to fit in here and know that small towns know all about you and you know little about them...this town, well we are in the first stages of becoming what Hitler did before he tried to wipe out a culture...but then, perhaps so is the rest of the US that way...but no UT. UT probably has the most solid economy of any western state and it is extremely pretty there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 03:05 PM

7 posts, read 33,893 times
Default Andee

Greybull! Short of water, short on rentals and an old town; few have humungous homes, few run the town, the county and everything else while others just try to make it through the next hour.

Don't bring your problems and ideas to WY. We have enough problems, including a school district that has locked the doors to the schools during school hours, the only door open is the one where the handicapped children are placed..so the perp comes through and these children whom cannot move/nor think fast and are at the mercy of the perp are killed or take hostage..

Go to a town that has a few brains and takes time to truly plan things out...like we are going to have a terrorist attack in Greybull?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:45 PM

138 posts, read 468,692 times
siouxcrow- Are you SERIOUS??!! Do the Greybull schools really lock the doors? Greybull must be one of the cities with the least crime- unless I don't know something!! What a shame, that in this world/time, that locking the doors in a city with a population about 1000?? or less?)- if this is what we are coming to, I am glad that I am not a child with a whole lifetime ahead of him/her........

Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Let's go back a couple of years. In 1920, 55% of the state was state owned land. We had a wonderful woman in congress that was instramental in setting aside that land as state owned land. It would be leased out to farmers and ranchers and would pay for our schools. As such, I only pay $204 a year for property tax on my house. So the schools are taken care of.

Years ago, my daughter was in 7th grade and they had a guy walk on the school ground and start shooting hids. My daughter was smart enough to fall down when her girl friend was hit and just lay there. I was a friend of the mayor and I asked her what this guys back ground was. She said, he was ex Navy and was discharged from Treasure Island. I said what? Treasure island was shut down except for the brig. She did a little checking and said that he come out of Coronado. I told her, that's the Navy Seal base. Yup. No kids killed, he knew what he was doing.

I go to the shooting range every week and I always take the kids. That week, I loaded up all my gear and my daughter said, "Dad why haven't you invited me?" I said, well with what happened, I didn't think you'd want to go. She said, "Why not?" We went to the range the the girl out shot dad.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 15,919 times
Wow, I don't think I have ever read so many misinformed and negative posts about a place in my life.

I have taught high school in Wyoming for 30 years, after moving here from Iowa during the 1970's boom, and I think this is the best place in the country to live.

Yes the housing is scarce now, the weather in the winter time can be tough. Water is a precious commodity.

But there is not a better place to raise your children. The schools are great and safe!

The hunting, fishing, backpacking, rock climbing, etc are second to none. If you love the outdoors this is the place to be.

The summers are great.

I guess it is what ever you make of it. If you have a sense of adventure, you will love it here.(My apologies to Montana and Alaska folks who may dispute my best statement

Clear skies

Old 02-05-2007, 01:35 PM

35 posts, read 162,193 times
THANKS GUYS.... make wyoming sound horrible! Maybe instead of complaining you would do something about all the problems. There is nothing worse then someone complaining about something and then doing nothing to help. I thought this forum was here to help not to push away. But then again I guess your just showing everyone what people in wyoming are like! I thought NC was bad about people not being nice and welcoming, but I now think that WY is far worse. I will now be finding a new place to live. So again...THANKS!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:59 PM

777 posts, read 3,198,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda1988 View Post
THANKS GUYS.... make wyoming sound horrible! Maybe instead of complaining you would do something about all the problems. There is nothing worse then someone complaining about something and then doing nothing to help. I thought this forum was here to help not to push away. But then again I guess your just showing everyone what people in wyoming are like! I thought NC was bad about people not being nice and welcoming, but I now think that WY is far worse. I will now be finding a new place to live. So again...THANKS!

Amanda,

They just did do something about it By talking negative, they are keeping you from going, which in turn does something about what they "perceive" is part of their problem. Please don't think that just because a few people are negative, that all people in WY are negative. I know it takes 100 positive people to offset 1 negative person.

Wait a few years, till my wife and I move and you can come live next door

Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 13,826 times
Just take what you read with a grain of salt. My family of 4, (me, wife, 2 boys), will be moving to Casper next year regardless of whats said here on the forums. I did my own research and came up with my own conclusions. I love to hear or read what others have to say and I take that information and put it to good use by weighing in all the options, not just listening to a couple people here on the forums. I also don't let others influence me or my decisions.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,452 times
You can take it for what you hope for. I'll call it a realistic warning. I have seen people come to the state and cuss everything and everyday until they leave. Just because they didn't look things clear through. And refuse to adapt to the state.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,133 times
HI , I'M ALSO THINKING OF MOVING TO THE CASPER AREA, I AM AN ELECTRICIAN, i NEED TO KNOW THE WEATHER IN THE SUMMERTIME AND EVENINGS AS i DO ALOT OF MOTORCYCLE RIDING, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION DALE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming