Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Another thread here about gardening touched on wind in Wyoming. And that reminded me of something I heard years ago, that "Casper had the highest suicide rates in the nation". I always felt the wind there contributed to that *. If a person was already feeling down, then steps outside and gets pushed and knocked around by the wind, especially on a freezing cold day, it could make one feel like even god was out to make you miserable.

Searching for information about this just now I was surprised to see this article: " SitNews: The dark side of more sunlight: Higher suicide rates " citing Wyoming had the highest suicide rate in the United States in 2006.

I was glad to see in this 2007 article Wyoming was no longer the highest, but still very high. Depression and suicide rates state by state - USATODAY.com

Having grown up in Wyoming, I can only recall hearing of one person that committed suicide. I guess its not talked about much. That could be part of the problem. People in Wyoming pride themselves on being self sufficient and hardy folk. Admitting to any weakness probably comes hard to them since the culture doesn't accomodate it.

i know now that I have grown up and moved away I'm finding that people in other places talk about their problems a lot more then I'm used to. I'm hearing lots of people admitting to suffering from depression and taking medications for it. Some of that can be chalked up to our society becoming more open and accepting of our weaknesses. But some of my perception of it probably also comes from having grown up in a place where people are more reluctant to talk about their troubles.

I found this article in the sweetwater times state suicide rate

Quote:
Sherard said that those who have studied the problem tend to agree that suicide is preventable in most cases with proper detection and treatment. This requires an understanding of the risk factors and warning signs of suicide, as well as the various ways to help someone who may be feeling suicidal. Because approximately 90 percent of suicide victims suffer from some kind of mental illness, particularly depression, it is imperative that persons at risk of engaging in suicidal acts be afforded appropriate mental health options in an environment free from the stigma that historically has surrounded the treatment of mental disorders.
I think that stigma is especially strong in Wyoming.

So please, next time you think someone is having a hard time, give them a hug and encourage them to talk to you about it, and to get help if they need it.

The Wyoming Department of Health has some excellent information and suggestions on how to help here. Wyoming Department of Health (http://wdh.state.wy.us/mhsa/prevention/giss.html - broken link)

------------------------
* I found some support for that idea about wind contributing to it here: http://www.rmrinstitute.org/panel2.html

** The Wyoming Suicide Prevention Plan supports this idea:
Wyoming Department of Health (http://wdh.state.wy.us/mhsa/prevention/suicideindex.html - broken link)

Quote:
Moreover, Wyoming has long-valued
the “cowboy-up” philosophy that emphasizes rugged
independence, self-reliance, and stoicism in the face of
personal adversity. Because Wyoming residents commonly
perceive mental illness as a personal weakness, those who
suffer from depression or experience suicidal ideation may take
their own life rather than risk the stigma of being diagnosed
with and/or treated for a mental disorder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 AM

304 posts, read 904,498 times
I've known several people in my 40+ years of living in WY that have succeeded or attempted suicide. It's just tough to live here. The winters are long and the wind during the spring/fall will keep folks indoors for a week at a time. There's also a high alcoholism rate and meth addiction. Some of the jobs here are very dangerous and the isolation can play a big part of that. I also see a low tolerance for alternative lifestyles - which can be brutal for folks.

Yes, it's summertime now. We are hiking, fishing, getting out in the gardens and taking strolls - all good for the soul and much needed after the long winters here.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,345 times
I agree with Darrow on things that increase the liklihood. I've had 3 former students and 5 other acquaintances who have committed suicide in WY in my 15 years here. I'm originally from CO, lived there for 29 years and only had one person I even remotely knew who did.

In the 8 cases I knew of, only 1 DIDN'T involve alcohol. Three involved ranchers or ranch wives who lived remotely on a ranch and happened in the winter - all three were drunk. Alcohol definitely intensifies our emotions - good and bad.

Being cognizant of the contributing factors, I try to be aware (along with my family) and in the middle of the winter, we try to get direct sunshine on our faces each day. Studies indicate this can help. Sometimes it's with parkas on and the wind nearly mowing us over, but we try to get into the sun each day it shines.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
I've never read in any authorative publication that drug addiction and alcoholism are high in Wyoming. But it makes a good throwaway line since few will check.

Suicide is the ultimate control that a person has over his life. If someone chooses to die, how dare some meddler interfere. If we don't own our bodies and our lives, who does? The government? Apparently the government does because it seems to be parasitic government employees and their liberal colleagues in the media who are so worried about it.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've never read in any authorative publication that drug addiction and alcoholism are high in Wyoming. But it makes a good throwaway line since few will check.
Here's an authoritative study on teen binge drinking. Wyoming is one of the top 3, along with North Dakota and Montana.
2006 Press Release - Underage Binge Drinking

North Dakota is the top for alcoholism in adults. There are numerous authoritative studies that draw a connection between teen alcohol abuse and incidence of alcoholism as adults.

I have more info on teen drinking since that's the age-level I teach. There's a wealth of authoritative statistics on substance abuse at the SAMHSA Website.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 PM

[b]I'm glad to see people discussing this.

I drink probably more then I should and I learned to do that in high school in Wyoming.

On the subject of Alcohol, the Wyoming Suicide Prevention Plan states:

Quote:
Alcohol and/or other drugs are a factor in at least 30% of
all suicides
Quote:
Cultural factors, unemployment, poverty, mental
illness and use of substances, particularly alcohol, are risk
factors for suicide among Native Americans. Three percent of
the suicides in Wyoming in 2002 were among Native
Americans.
Lest alcohol's role be dismissed as a Native American problem, please note that only Three percent of the suicides in Wyoming in 2002 were among Native Americans. This surprised me since Fremont County has one of the highest rates of suicide I had assumed that was because of the reservations, apparantly I was wrong. The plan lists suicide rates by county 1999-2002. Many of the counties with the highest rates (highlighted below) don't have many Native Americans in them.
-------
Albany 14.06

Big Horn 23.99

Campbell 17.06

Carbon 30.37

Converse 20.74

Crook 25.48

Fremont 25.84

Goshen 21.93

Hot Springs 30.73

Johnson 14.13

Laramie 14.09

Lincoln 17.16

Natrona 21.79

Niobrara 0

Park 11.63

Platte 19.87

Sheridan 19.77

Sublette 8.45

Sweetwater 27.92

Teton 13.7

Uinta 10.13

Washakie 18.10

Weston 11.29

State 18.78

-----

Of the risk factors listed in the plan I have highlighted in blue those that I think are especially prevalent in Wyoming.
Quote:
Risk factors include:

Previous suicide attempt
Mental disorders, particularly mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder
Co-occurring mental and alcohol and substance abuse disorders
Family history of suicide
Threats of suicide
Hopelessness
Impulsive and/or aggressive tendencies
Barriers to accessing mental health treatment
Relational, social, work, or financial loss
Physical illness
Easy access to lethal methods, especially guns
Unwillingness to seek help because of stigma attached to mental disorders, substance abuse disorders, and/or suicidal thoughts
Influence of significant people - family members, celebrities, peers who have died by suicide - both through direct personal contact or inappropriate media representations
Cultural and religious beliefs - for instance, the belief that suicide is a noble resolution of a personal dilemma
Local epidemics of suicide that have a contagious influence
Isolation, a feeling of being cut off from other people
Since suicide rates are higher in Wyoming, "family history of suicide" is probably a more significant factor in Wyoming as well.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-19-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 PM

CptnRn said:
I drink probably more then I should and I learned to do that in high school in Wyoming.

It is also a problem that is near and dear to my heart, and not just because I teach WY high school students. My hubby was born/raised in WY, learned to drink from his family, perfected the "art" in high school and subsequently spent 21 years of adulthood abusing alcohol. In his immediate family alone, there have been 2 suicides.

He has been sober for 15 years but personally believes (please note this is HIS belief and not any authoritative source) that our culture in WY contributes to alcohol abuse, that it is accepted as norm, kids learn it from their parents, and evidence of the problem and any attempt to tackle the problem are swept under the rug.

I see the problem of both alcohol and drug abuse among teens first-hand as a teacher. Alcohol abuse in particular is often "fostered" by parents - their philosophy that their kids are going to drink anyway, so they may as well do it in their house encourages teens. And when we have auto accidents due to alcohol or reports of a party sponsored by parents causing discourse, parents don't want to address it.

I asked a parent once why, and the response was "Honestly? Because if I admit my kid has a problem encouraged by me I just might have to change my behavior. And I've been drinking my entire life."

Old 07-19-2009, 02:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
Here's an authoritative study on teen binge drinking. Wyoming is one of the top 3, along with North Dakota and Montana.
2006 Press Release - Underage Binge Drinking

North Dakota is the top for alcoholism in adults. There are numerous authoritative studies that draw a connection between teen alcohol abuse and incidence of alcoholism as adults.

I have more info on teen drinking since that's the age-level I teach. There's a wealth of authoritative statistics on substance abuse at the SAMHSA Website.
This information is from people who make money on so-called treatment in league with their government cronies.

Two counties in Wyoming were still all they could find and they're in the business of finding, that is, creating, problems, and problem areas.

But if people realize their lives are worthless and hopeless, let them die. The government has no right to burden the taxpayers with them. And those treatments do burden taxpayers. And the people themselves wish to die.

The government is outraged when the slaves escape, even if it's through death. So they call upon their natural allies, school teachers, social workers, and other meddlers who share one common trait. They all work for the government or government connected outfits that want power over everyone because they believe that we belong to them and they have the right to manage our lives.

They hate individual freedom, even in death.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-19-2009 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This information is from people who make money on so-called treatment in league with their government cronies.

Two counties in Wyoming were still all they could find and they're in the business of finding, that is, creating, problems, and problem areas.

But if people realize their lives are worthless and hopeless, let them die. The government has no right to burden the taxpayers with them. And those treatments do burden taxpayers. And the people themselves wish to die.

The government is outraged when the slaves escape, even if it's through death. So they call upon their natural allies, school teachers, social workers, and other meddlers who share one common trait. They all work for the government or government connected outfits that want power over everyone because they believe that we belong to them and they have the right to manage our lives.

They hate individual freedom, even in death.
Thank you for reminding me. One of the probable causes of suicide is having to share ones life with hate filled negative people. I'm sure having very many people like this in ones life would make one want to kill themselves if there was no other reasonable way to get away from this kind of influence. Honestly, if you find yourself living with someone like this get up and leave, move far, far away so you can remove this horrible negative influence from your life.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-19-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
CptnRn said:

It is also a problem that is near and dear to my heart, and not just because I teach WY high school students. My hubby was born/raised in WY, learned to drink from his family, perfected the "art" in high school and subsequently spent 21 years of adulthood abusing alcohol. In his immediate family alone, there have been 2 suicides.

He has been sober for 15 years but personally believes (please note this is HIS belief and not any authoritative source) that our culture in WY contributes to alcohol abuse, that it is accepted as norm, kids learn it from their parents, and evidence of the problem and any attempt to tackle the problem are swept under the rug.

I see the problem of both alcohol and drug abuse among teens first-hand as a teacher. Alcohol abuse in particular is often "fostered" by parents - their philosophy that their kids are going to drink anyway, so they may as well do it in their house encourages teens. And when we have auto accidents due to alcohol or reports of a party sponsored by parents causing discourse, parents don't want to address it.

I asked a parent once why, and the response was "Honestly? Because if I admit my kid has a problem encouraged by me I just might have to change my behavior. And I've been drinking my entire life."
Good points. The alcohol abuse is seen as a common ordinary activity in much of the state. I thought it was ordinary growing up there, but realize now that my father and most of his friends were alcoholics, so we grew up with a lot of drinking in the home. My adoption of the practice along with smoking was just part of what I thought was the right of passage towards becoming an adult. I recall numerous of the "cool kids" in high school getting drunk and wrecking their cars, occasionally killing themselves or friends riding with them. I came close a few times myself. Sadly there wasn't much for teenagers to do in the evenings except drag main and the back roads drinking.

The weather is so unpleasant in Wyoming at times that for the most part, the only recreation and entertainment available even for adults is to go to a bar or someone's house and "party". I bet that is still largely the case in much of the state.

I came across a website the other day indicating that Wyoming spends more on education per child then many other states. I think that is a very good thing, an indication that parents are trying to give their children a quality educational experience, enrich their lives, including extra curricular activities that are reflected in that spending.

Last edited by CptnRn; 07-19-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming