Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 PM

41 posts, read 160,255 times

Advertisements

I have heard that in-state tuition discounts are big in NC. My husband was told that NC stretches it's "in-state" discount to parts of SC. Can anyone confirm this? I have a daughter that is a junior in high school, so it's time to start the search for a college. Also, my husband is currently living in Charlotte while the kids and I are still in Florida waiting for the house to sell. How long does one have to be a resident for the discounts to apply?
Thanks,
Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
It's completely false. If you are officially a resident in SC, you do not get NC's residence rate. You have to be a resident for a year in NC to officially be a resident and it is the same in SC. I attended CPCC in Charlotte and my gf has a degree from York Tech, so I know how it works.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM

Thank you. So I guess if she intends to finish her senior year at her current high school (in Florida) before moving with us to NC, then she will pay out of state? Or, does it matter that her parents are both residents of NC for atleast 12 months prior to her enrolling? If she does have to pay out of state until she has residency, then can she switch over to in-state after living and working here for 12 months?
Shelly

Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
BNY

49 posts, read 192,307 times
Definitely talk to the residency coordinator at the college that she is planning to attend. At the college I work at (in SC) we offer instate residency exceptions if the student's parent has worked in-state for a period of time, even if they live out-of-state. I'm not sure if NC has the same exceptions. The way SC residency code works, the student becomes a resident one year after the parents relocated, I believe. And residency status can change at any time, so if she is coded as out-of-state when starts school, she can be changed to in-state when she meets the conditions.

Basically, talk to someone at the school she plans to attend. They'll be able to give you advice about how your particular situation will be addressed.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
The way that discount works is that residents of certain counties in NC can attend Winthrop University in Rock Hill without having to pay out-of-state tuition. This is actually something I've been looking at since I plan to return to school one day. If you live in Mecklenburg, Gaston, Cabarrus, and some other counties that are part of the partnership--I can't remember the exact name of it right now--you can pay SC tuition. I'm thinking Winthrop is the only school for which this applies. If you move to Charlotte and Winthrop is a strong possibility, you may want to call their financial aid office. Hope that helps!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:30 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,691 times
It's parent's address that counts for college residency purposes---so if you live in NC or SC but your daughter decides to stay in FL, she will NOT get whatever tuition breaks FL offers to locals. OTOH, she can graduate from HS in FL, come to NC or SC for college and get all breaks, if the parents have lived in either state for at least a year. This is mandated by the Feds (since all states have to follow Federal rules in order for students to get federal aid), so it is the same in every state. SC offers some great incentives for students who attend college in-state, whether public or private. And, thanks to the SC Lottery Tuition assistance, students can attend community colleges at virtually no cost (except for books, of course). I would suggest you talk to the financial aid office at any college, as the full regulations for tuition and financial aid are VERY complex.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:20 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
I think it depends on the individual school but some NC and GA schools do take SC residents as instate and vice versa.

One of my best friends went to UGA's veterinary school and SC residents do, or did (this was a few years ago) get instate tuition, at least for the vet school. Don't know about their undergrad programs. NC State veterinary school did not so that was the primary reason she picked UGA.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
It's parent's address that counts for college residency purposes---so if you live in NC or SC but your daughter decides to stay in FL, she will NOT get whatever tuition breaks FL offers to locals. .
Only if they are paying for it. If they are not then it goes by the student's permenant address.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:51 AM

Thanks everyone! I feel better now. I was having people tell me that because we (her parents)will be in SC she can't get in-state discounts in FL and because she wasn't in SC she couldn't get them there (in SC) either. It sounded like she was going to lose all residency discounts because her parents moved in her senior year. This is actually perfect because now she'll have to move with us to SC after graduating HS to afford college!! Thanks again.
Shelly

Old 10-09-2007, 02:49 PM

17 posts, read 56,780 times
Shelly,

I am in the same situation. I live in FL and plan to move to same area. I have a daughter who will graduate in May 08 and is planning to go to college in FL. Does this mean she will lose the residency discount.

Karen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties