Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:18 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I drive by there sometimes and that is a good location. Close to Charlotte, Pineville, the light rail. I always forget about those apartments.
I live in Waterstone as well. Very important email sent out by Waterstone HOA members today.....If looking at Waterstone? Stick as close as you can to the units by Gold Hill Rd. I wouldn't by anywhere by the 2nd entrance (off of 160) new apartments just built....and soon? A proposal was sent because they want to build an Aldi's Grocery store, kinda right smack dab in the middle of the community (where the apartments are) across from Fieldstone.

I was real "not" excited to hear this news. There is a petition available ON LINE for all WATERSTONE communities to sign.

You guys need it, ping me I'll give you my email and forward the petition to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
I actually would love to have an Aldi's near me. The closest ones are in Rock Hill and on South Tryon at Carowinds. I don't think Aldi's would create much of an issue. They close at 7pm during the week and there stores are small.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:57 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times
Quote:
I actually would love to have an Aldi's near me. The closest ones are in Rock Hill and on South Tryon at Carowinds. I don't think Aldi's would create much of an issue. They close at 7pm during the week and there stores are small.
yeah but there are people in some townhomes who's front doors will be facing the store...not too cool.

I'm assuming most people don't want a lit up store and traffic coming up and down a residential street.

There's some real crap going on here right now, if you are not a member of Waterstone or even if you are but don't subscribe to their google newsgroup, you'd have no idea.

People at Waterstone have been told many stories about the land beside the community and what it was zoned for....then even though the local in charge people said "NO" to the rezoning? York council kinda said, well too bad we're gonna do we want.

That's democracy for you.

Trust me.....I'll remember York's council and who's on it...and do my danged best to get them out of office when it's time...so will about another 1/2 of our many residents. People who own residences at Waterstone, especially the ones by the 160 entrance, saw a decrease in the value of their homes when the apartments were just built. They'll see more of decrease if an Aldi's comes in.

And WHY IN THE WORLD would anyone possibly need another grocery store in this area? We have around 6 of them already.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 PM

What grocery stores are near there besides Bloom? Bloom is nothing but a dressed up Food Lion anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:50 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
Bloom is off of 21 in front of Regent Park. Waterstone is located off of 160 / Gold Hill road area. We have a Food Lion, Lowes and Harris Teeter within 2 miles. There is also a Super Walmart being built accross the street from Waterstone. The last thing that we need is another grocery store. NO ALDI...

Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Well, the only grocery within 2 miles of me is a ghetto Food Lion on Hwy 160 near thre northern bypass. I wouldn't mind another grocery store or two within 2 miles.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:12 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,980 times
I hear ya, but Aldi...Talking about low end... There is a Harris Teeter being built on 521 at the state line. Should be open in early 08. Yea, not alot of choices near your way...

Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Aldi isn't as bad as people perceive it. They are basically how every grocery store in Europe is. For example, stores in Europe mostly don't stock shopping bags; you have to bring your own. If you forget your bags at home (and I usually use a giant canvas one when I go shopping anywhere), you can buy some for a few cents. But this keeps the store's overhead down while at the same time saving resources and preventing bags from ending up in a landfill. They use a lot of measures like this to keep costs down. They have some good food selections and their beer/wine selection is great since they are a German company. Their brand of Riesling is actually one of the best I've ever tasted. As a matter of fact, I bought this computer at Aldi 5 years ago for $799 and one wih the same specs at Dell was $1600. I have never had a problem with it. I once had to call tech support for something simple and was surprised to hear a southern accent on the other end of the phone. The support center was in Texas (but they may have changed). I'm not saying I would want one right in front of my house, but if you go into the Aldi's at 49 and Carowinds it's actually a nice little store, compared to the one on Tyvola and Old Pineville for example. Oh, I often get candy there like junior mints, dots, and milk duds for 85 cents before going to the movies where the same size box is $4 (and yes it is the actual real name brand candy).
They also have some excellent dried fruit mix which is addictive.

As a matter of fact, I haven't seen too many (if any if I recall correctly) recalled foods at Aldi's. Many many major name brands have been implicated over the past year including Totino's and Hormel which you can buy at any of the "higher end" grocery stores and those are only two examples.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:28 PM

174 posts, read 732,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLD-IN-FORT MILL View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Fort Mill in Jan or Feb 2008 and are looking for a townhome in a safe and newer subdivision. MY wife is a flight attendant for USAIR and is changing her base to CLT. I am in the jewelry bussiness and thinking of opening a retail store in Fort Mill also. We only need a townhome for right now untill we get to know the area better. We have been looking at a few communities and not sure where to buy. We have looked at Whitney Mills Townhomes, Fairway Townhomes at Regent Park, and Cascades At River Crossing. If any one has any info on these particular areas we would greatly appreciate it. Also any thoughts on a new jeweler in the area. We spent the first 30 years of our marrage in Pittsburgh and are ready for a change. Did you know the sun never shines in Pittsburgh? We love the Carolinas and hope this is a good move for us. Thank you for any input and looking forward to meeting the folks in Fort Mill.

Thank You

Hey Pittsburgh folks, I'm originally from Bethel Park, I actually spent my first 28 years there. The weather definately is much nicer down here, I really dont miss the gray days of the 'burg but I did like Pittsburgh in the summer. I think you guys will like the fort mill area. I'm a little further down 77 near rock hill on Lake Wylie.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:16 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,024 times
Quote:
Well, the only grocery within 2 miles of me is a ghetto Food Lion on Hwy 160 near thre northern bypass. I wouldn't mind another grocery store or two within 2 miles.
groove, I've got to wonder what you mean by a "ghetto Food Lion." Not too cool in my opinion.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties