Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 AM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Definitely not. It's a free country. I'm independent so can't vote in the primaries.
Groove, of course you can vote in the SC primaries!!!! Voters do not register by party in the state of SC. It seems if you had ever registered to vote in SC you would realize that. Of course, if you vote in one party's primary, you will be barred from voting in the other party's primary. BTW, it doesn't matter who or what party you might have voted for in past elections---you can still vote in whichever primary you wish to now and can then proceed to vote for whichever party in November. Regarding the roadside signs---it is very illegal to post these signs on right of ways or on private property, so it is not surprising that you see mostly Republican signs in the area. And for everyone's information, South Carolina has no shortage of Democrats, which will become apparent on Jan 26th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
Gotcha-I just recently registered to vote in SC but did automatically thru the DMV

Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,682,933 times
Quote:
Definitely not. It's a free country. I'm independent so can't vote in the primaries.
It's a free country thanks to our military.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 AM

390 posts, read 1,515,964 times
There are Hillary signs in my cul de sac, and just since Iowa there are Obama signs as you come into Tega Cay. I haven't seen any Edwards signs yet. The Republican primary is earlier, so that may somewhat explain why there are so many more Republican signs.

Plus, SC is quite influential in the Republican race. In fact, "since 1980, every winner of the South Carolina primary has gone on to receive the Republican nomination." (source: Ron Paul campaign)

Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times
In my case I am just not fully commited to a candidate yet so can't decide which sign to put up. After the primaries you will see more going up.

Interesting though, I was taking a look at some statistics for voters in SC and since the 80s, there has been a pretty steady increase in democrat voters. I cannot remember all the details and I can't remember where I was looking but in Bill Clintons second term run, 44% of SC residents voted for him and I believe it was like 20 something percent of people that voted democratic back in the Reagan years. The percentage of democratic voters went down a little during the GWB years but only to like 39%. So basically what I am saying is while SC is primarily a republican state, approximately 40% vote democratic, at least for president. So there are lots of us out there we just aren't shoving it down people's throats

I really wish I could remember where it was that I saw the information. It listed all the Presidential elections since at least the 80s by their party and their respective percentage of voters for SC. All I can find now is a breakdown county by county.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM

146 posts, read 451,749 times
We just got home from a weekend away and saw there are new signs on Tega Cay drive for Hillary and Obama. They must have been put up over the weekend.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM

146 posts, read 451,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
There are Hillary signs in my cul de sac, and just since Iowa there are Obama signs as you come into Tega Cay. I haven't seen any Edwards signs yet. The Republican primary is earlier, so that may somewhat explain why there are so many more Republican signs.

Plus, SC is quite influential in the Republican race. In fact, "since 1980, every winner of the South Carolina primary has gone on to receive the Republican nomination." (source: Ron Paul campaign)
Sorry for being repetitive, I didn't see your post about Tega Cay drive till after I posted.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM

100 posts, read 373,931 times
there are plenty of Ron Paul signs around town..

Hahaha.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
You'll probably see more for the dems after the primaries. As long as W is out; I'm happy
Me 3!

I have also heard that alot of backwards locals will knock down any sign that supports a Democrat. If you are Republican that is fine, but if someone puts up a sign that supports a Democrat, leave it alone!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:44 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,340 times
To clarify my previous post, it is perfectly legal to post political signs in your own yard. But, as I said before, it is illegal to place them along road right-a-ways and on private property. All of the signs I have seen have been for Republican candidates---we have repeatedly removed them from the entrance to our community and I would do the same for Democratic candidates. Regarding the percentage of Democratic voters in SC---there is a much larger percentage than you might expect. Even 40% is a sizable percentage of the population. And, while the national Republicans may again prevail in 2008 in SC, the Democratic candidate will garner far more than 40%. Regarding statewide politics, I believe you will see the remergence of the Democratic party in SC. I can't believe people will continue to vote for candidates whose platforms are so detrimental to the needs of most of the citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties