Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 15,490 times

Advertisements

Hello I am new to this site and i've read the replies and the information is interesting. This will be my first time relocating;since i"ve lived in Florida all my life. I just would like a little advice on the job market in South Carolina. I am fixing my credit now and just started to save up money. What will be a good amount to save up? Me and my 2 kids will be looking to leave within a year and a half and any formation will be of help. One of my best friends stay in Charlotte and she is trying to get me to move there but i"m not sure. Miami is not the same if you do not speak spanish it is hard. When I relocate I would love to buy my first house.(so excited about the thought of doing it.)I keep myself motivated going on sites such as reltor.com remax.com and etc. looking at pictures of house sand the inside of them. Looking forward to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM

77 posts, read 340,992 times
Like you, I am looking to relocate to the Carolinas (Charlotte). I'm sure it will be a step up for you and your kids over Miami. I would recommend checking out the area south of Charlotte across the state line, especially towns like Fort Mill and Rock Hill (South Carolina). The schools there are a cut above Charlotte and the commute to Charlotte is not too bad (20-40 minutes). Because the area is growing so much, I'm sure the job market will be good no matter what your profession. For Charlotte area homes check out the Allen Tate Real Estate offfice on-line (google his name). Good luck.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug17 View Post
Like you, I am looking to relocate to the Carolinas (Charlotte). I'm sure it will be a step up for you and your kids over Miami. I would recommend checking out the area south of Charlotte across the state line, especially towns like Fort Mill and Rock Hill (South Carolina). The schools there are a cut above Charlotte and the commute to Charlotte is not too bad (20-40 minutes). Because the area is growing so much, I'm sure the job market will be good no matter what your profession. For Charlotte area homes check out the Allen Tate Real Estate offfice on-line (google his name). Good luck.
Rock Hill schools are OK.

But Fort Mill schools are EXCELLENT and is closer to Charlotte. It is the 1st suburb across the state line.

Fort Mill to Charlotte (Uptown) is 30 minutes in rush hour. Rock Hill would be about 45 minutes! Neither allows extra time for wrecks and rain. Can turn into way over 1hr with a wreck on I-77 southbound!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-18-2008, 01:34 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landa32 View Post
Hello I am new to this site and i've read the replies and the information is interesting. This will be my first time relocating;since i"ve lived in Florida all my life. I just would like a little advice on the job market in South Carolina. I am fixing my credit now and just started to save up money. What will be a good amount to save up? Me and my 2 kids will be looking to leave within a year and a half and any formation will be of help. One of my best friends stay in Charlotte and she is trying to get me to move there but i"m not sure. Miami is not the same if you do not speak spanish it is hard. When I relocate I would love to buy my first house.(so excited about the thought of doing it.)I keep myself motivated going on sites such as reltor.com remax.com and etc. looking at pictures of house sand the inside of them. Looking forward to your responses.

In regard to the job market in the area...that depends on what your line of work is? My advice would be....line up work here first, then move second.

What happens to be the price range of homes you're currently looking at?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 22,786 times
Hi, I am new to this site as well looking to relocate to North Carolina this year. Looking forward to go visit this year to check out homes and jobs. Any advice on what cities to live in.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Thanks

thanks for all of your comments,this site is helpful in many ways. In a few months I will be entering school for L.P.N. I plan to take it allthe way to R.N. Now I am in the process of fixing my credit and have started saving money. I think $20,000 should be enough for a down payment for my first home. I will be visiting in April to see the area and get some what of an idea of what it'll be like. thank all for your respones.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM

Default 2 answer your question:lovethecarolinas

i'm not sure about the price range of the house i am looking for, it will be my first home.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 AM

30 posts, read 41,181 times
I moved to RH two years ago and have been unhappy. It does depend on what part of town you live in. There are some really nice subdivisions but unfortnately for me I did not buy in one of them. The biggest difference from what I have learned by reading the Herald is that the Fort Mill school system is one of the best in the state. Rock Hill, not as good. Almost half the people in RH live at or below the poverty line. It's an old mill town where, for generations now, education was not a priority because one could always get a job in a mill. The mills are gone and half the population has not changed its attitude toward education. I live off Cherry, off Constitution, behind Boyd Hill apartments (which are Section 8 housing). There are gangs (the Bloods) living in my general vacinity. I wish you lots of luck. I'm hoping to move to Fort Mill.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
RH schools aren't terrible. They are not as good as Fort Mill but they are not bad. I'ved lived temporarily in Rock Hill and now live in Fort Mill. I much prefer Fort Mill.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 PM

216 posts, read 701,804 times
I moved to Rock Hill in Oct 07. We are right off I77, on Celanese rd. The subdivision so far is great. My 10 yr old found friends to play with. He is not gedtting picked on in school, no fights in school or on the bus. Seems this school is actually challenging him unlike FL or TN schools. Now he must study and not just breeze by. We are goin to buy a house in Oct when our lease is up. We are debating buyin the house we currently rent. But before that we will go check out FT Mill and Lake Wylie. I also have been considering Clover, I heard they have a great football program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties