Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 AM

116 posts, read 430,806 times

Advertisements

yeah when drove into Tega Cay I was floored by how nice to was, and I felt very thankful that there was even 1 house in our price range much less 8 or 9.

There's a house on Tana Tea Cir that we've gone to see twice because we liked it so much, but we are still up and down about it.

I hate feeling wishy washy. I want to feel certain I'm doing the right thing.
Maybe if I look at other things it will lead me back to that house, I dunno.

What's meant to be will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM

I've never purchased a new home before or had a home built. The idea of this is scary to me because I've heard HORROR stories about new homes.

I've bought and sold 2 other homes in middle tennessee - both were older, re-sells. As I said before, I found appreciation in mid-tn to be slow slow slow and SLOW.

Anyway, the thing I don't like about most new homes is that they have a boat load of carpet. As I'm new to this idea, I'm not sure if you can request hardwoods or laminate or whatever you want at an extra cost if you are building from ground up.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY where the whole concept of "subdivision" is very FOREIGN. So, when I moved to the south and saw all these little ...what I call "mini-communities" pop up - they all seemed liked pleasantville to me which is another reason Tega Cay (the older section) appealed to me so much.

I don't know if it's better or easier to sell a newer home or an older home. For example, if I decided to buy a new home and then had to sell 3-5 years from now would I have a better chance than if I bought a house built in the 70's? Or, is it really the same simply based on the neighborhood and the shape the house is in?

Going back to the idea of HORROR STORIES and new homes - I have NO IDEA which home builders are good or trustworthy. Everyone has an opinion, much like everything else. The best way to figure it out is to see which builder has the most complaints and avoid them.

In my price range I'm not expecting some elaborately built design, with brick and marble columns - but I still believe I could get a quality built home that I don't have to be scared is going to fall down when the big bad wolf comes huffing and puffing!

I've heard pros and cons to slabs and crawl spaces - I've heard things about bugs being and not being a problem - I've heard people who think I'm crazy because of the power plant and people who kinda understand - I'M LOST IN SEA OF REAL ESTATE OPTIONS!

I was almost tempted to continue to RENT - until I realized that I'll have to pay a pet fee and why throw money down the toilet? Then again, with the market the way it is - could buying a home be throwing money away also?

I honestly don't know. The only things I know for sure are this:
(a) I've got a ceiling of 215k but I don't even want to go that high if I don't have to
(b) I want a relatively safe and clean neighborhood
(c) decent schools would be nice, but my daughter is toddler and I'm going break my butt to pay for private school for her anyway.

Those are the majors. I KNOW THAT TEGA CAY has all that I want - except I can't stop thinking about the freakin' power plant and being right on the water there. I probably have a mental problem but either way - whether it's a legitimate worry or not, if it bothers me I can't make rash decisions. After all, I want to be happy....a little!

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE CARPET. The house in Tega Cay we saw only had 2 rooms carpet out of an entire 2000 sq. ft. house. It was awesome. BRAND NEW HARDWOODS and TILE everywhere else also. But is that the ONLY REASON TO BUY A HOUSE?

Another question I had about new homes in these subdivisions: what are the limitations and restrictions? Can I rip out carpet and put my own hardwoods at a later time if I wanted to? I know many places have fence restrictions. If I buy a brand new home and I want to put in a whole-house water filtration system - is that going to affect my warranty? I don't know how much I like the idea of having numerous stipulations when I buy a house that I'm supposed to own.

When you buy these new homes, do you actually own the land underneath it? I'm just so lost as to how this works...again, I've always owned old homes. lol

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
nsantamaria - We've never bought a new home before either and what we ended up buying in Fort Mill was an inventory home. We were very happy with what we bought. For the most part, we researched the builder through the internet. I would not necessarily take it as gospel truth and would still try to ask friends & neighbors their own experience with the builder and the HOA in the particular community you are looking into. The CC&R's are not public so you may not get but a cursory explanation of what is allowed and not allowed. Your best bet is to talk to the sales people of these communities and see what they have to say about voiding warranties you are concerned about.

I understand your fear of the nuclear reactor, but truthfully, if the one you're afraid of does indeed melt down, you being in Rock Hill will not protect you anymore. I am more concerned about above ground power lines than the reactor truthfully.

I do hope that you can find some place you can be happy with.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post
I've never purchased a new home before or had a home built. The idea of this is scary to me because I've heard HORROR stories about new homes.

I've bought and sold 2 other homes in middle tennessee - both were older, re-sells. As I said before, I found appreciation in mid-tn to be slow slow slow and SLOW.

Anyway, the thing I don't like about most new homes is that they have a boat load of carpet. As I'm new to this idea, I'm not sure if you can request hardwoods or laminate or whatever you want at an extra cost if you are building from ground up.

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY where the whole concept of "subdivision" is very FOREIGN. So, when I moved to the south and saw all these little ...what I call "mini-communities" pop up - they all seemed liked pleasantville to me which is another reason Tega Cay (the older section) appealed to me so much.

I don't know if it's better or easier to sell a newer home or an older home. For example, if I decided to buy a new home and then had to sell 3-5 years from now would I have a better chance than if I bought a house built in the 70's? Or, is it really the same simply based on the neighborhood and the shape the house is in?

Going back to the idea of HORROR STORIES and new homes - I have NO IDEA which home builders are good or trustworthy. Everyone has an opinion, much like everything else. The best way to figure it out is to see which builder has the most complaints and avoid them.

In my price range I'm not expecting some elaborately built design, with brick and marble columns - but I still believe I could get a quality built home that I don't have to be scared is going to fall down when the big bad wolf comes huffing and puffing!

I've heard pros and cons to slabs and crawl spaces - I've heard things about bugs being and not being a problem - I've heard people who think I'm crazy because of the power plant and people who kinda understand - I'M LOST IN SEA OF REAL ESTATE OPTIONS!

I was almost tempted to continue to RENT - until I realized that I'll have to pay a pet fee and why throw money down the toilet? Then again, with the market the way it is - could buying a home be throwing money away also?

I honestly don't know. The only things I know for sure are this:
(a) I've got a ceiling of 215k but I don't even want to go that high if I don't have to
(b) I want a relatively safe and clean neighborhood
(c) decent schools would be nice, but my daughter is toddler and I'm going break my butt to pay for private school for her anyway.

Those are the majors. I KNOW THAT TEGA CAY has all that I want - except I can't stop thinking about the freakin' power plant and being right on the water there. I probably have a mental problem but either way - whether it's a legitimate worry or not, if it bothers me I can't make rash decisions. After all, I want to be happy....a little!

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE CARPET. The house in Tega Cay we saw only had 2 rooms carpet out of an entire 2000 sq. ft. house. It was awesome. BRAND NEW HARDWOODS and TILE everywhere else also. But is that the ONLY REASON TO BUY A HOUSE?

Another question I had about new homes in these subdivisions: what are the limitations and restrictions? Can I rip out carpet and put my own hardwoods at a later time if I wanted to? I know many places have fence restrictions. If I buy a brand new home and I want to put in a whole-house water filtration system - is that going to affect my warranty? I don't know how much I like the idea of having numerous stipulations when I buy a house that I'm supposed to own.

When you buy these new homes, do you actually own the land underneath it? I'm just so lost as to how this works...again, I've always owned old homes. lol
Are you convinced you want a single family home, or could you live with a townhome? You could get into a 3 BR townhome in Baxter Village, one of the nicer neighborhoods in Fort Mill and a great school district, for $215,000 or below on re-sales.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:53 PM

No, townhomes are cool. Remember, I'm from Brooklyn so even those seem distant enough for me from people lol. We have thought about townhomes and may consider one if we find one nice and comes at the right price.

I'll been using the allen tate research tool as everyone on here has suggested and FIRST PROPERTIES OF THE CAROLINAS agents have been taking us around TEGA CAY to see homes. I'm just going to broaden my search.

It was MUCH easier when I was convinced about TEGA CAY because again, my price range narrowed it down to 9 homes all of which we saw in 1 day!

Now, I'm opening up a whole other can of worms. OH BOY God Bless my husband he's gonna need a ton of patience to deal with me over the next 2 months....

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post
No, townhomes are cool. Remember, I'm from Brooklyn so even those seem distant enough for me from people lol. We have thought about townhomes and may consider one if we find one nice and comes at the right price.

I'll been using the allen tate research tool as everyone on here has suggested and FIRST PROPERTIES OF THE CAROLINAS agents have been taking us around TEGA CAY to see homes. I'm just going to broaden my search.

It was MUCH easier when I was convinced about TEGA CAY because again, my price range narrowed it down to 9 homes all of which we saw in 1 day!

Now, I'm opening up a whole other can of worms. OH BOY God Bless my husband he's gonna need a ton of patience to deal with me over the next 2 months....
Personally, I'd jump at a townhome in Baxter over a single family home in a neighborhood like Jones Branch in a minute. I just checked the allen tate site and they have a number of units in your price range.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM

295 posts, read 1,062,205 times
Have you looked into English Trails in Fort Mill?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM

I haven't. Tomorrow we are gonna meet the lady and I know myself I'll be able to tell in a hot minute if I like it or not. After that we'll swing by Baxter.

Deep in my heart I'm still in love with Tega Cay though. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Seller agreed to offer on home in Tega Cay - so I guess by mid-March we'll be moving ....again. YIPPIE!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 PM

58 posts, read 221,863 times
Congrats neighbor! You'll love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties