Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,738 times

Advertisements

Hey there CommonSenseMom -

I happen to live in Tega Cay and would love to answer your questions more in depth..but do not want to hijack the original posters thread.

If you wouldn't mind starting a new post/thread (you can just copy and paste). That way it will give others on this site...who also might be able to respond to your questions on Tega Cay....yet might not necessary view your post where it is currently located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSenseMom View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are moving to the Charlotte area and looking at real estate area this weekend. We really fell in love with all the amenities of Tega Cay with the lake, club house, swimming, etc. I really like older homes, but they need to be kept up and updated for my husband to consider. Can anyone tell me about how the older homes compare price wise to all the new construction in Tega Cay? We have not seen the interiors yet, but on paper there seem to be some very reasonably priced older homes for the amount of space listed. Is there a problem with construction on these homes that is holding the price down? How much have homes in Tega Cay appreciated in the last 5 years compared to other areas near by? If a yard has a lot of trees, are we allowed to take any down for more clear space but leaving enough for a wooded feel? Also, my 10 year old son loves to fish. What is the fishing like on Lake Wylie? My husband wants to make sure there are kids in the neighborhood. Are there a lot of young families in the older homes or are more people retired?

I know that these are a lot of questions, so thanks to anyone who can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM

81 posts, read 309,703 times
Default Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsantamaria View Post
that does sound pretty bad. I really wanted to live in Tega Cay but for some reason living that close to the nuclear power plant bothered me. Fort Mill is just a tad further away (and further from the lake too). I guess I'll just have to look around.
I've been reading a lot on energy supplies lately, and I was surprised to know that it is really very safe. Of course there was Chernobyl, but that was Soviet 'short-cut expertise', and the people had no way to get in the car and leave, nor the warning to do so. 3 Mile Island, with no discernable radiation leakage, wasn't as bad as we all might have heard. There have been accidents to employees who work inside the reactors. Most serious accidents to workers were earlier in the history of nuclear use, and more safeguards are now in place, from experience. Now, the US and most of the 38 countries who use Nuclear Power have gotten quite good at it and it's really very safe. It's more economical and less damaging to the environment than other forms of energy used. It's not even likely that terrorists, internal or external, could damage a reactor. (there is the small chance of a nuclear bomb hitting it.) You can google it. It's likely that the U.S. will probably have to go to all nuclear soon. I use to believe the really loud protesters, but after reading more information, I've changed my mind. But if it scares you, it scares you. I understand. (Wow, sorry to rattle on, but I've really been reading a lot lately since Gore's movie came out, plus I am married to a real 'tree hugger' who is in the green industry. And I've found many scientists who have different opinions on the environment that you won't hear from, unless you do some research in science journals on the web.) Regardless, I'm sure you will find a great home here in York Co.
We love it here!

Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,509 times
Jones Branch subdivision in FT Mill, SC was cool. Just like nsantamaria said "they are very cute and well built." They are close to the highway but I lived in NYC for 5 years so it doesnt bother me. I like it becuaase the price is right and its close to some really good schools. Its definitely on my top 5 list.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Hi! I would def go with Tega Cay! I currently reside in Jones Branch- moved here 4 years ago. Then it wasn't so bad but now it's becoming trashy. Tega Cay has always maintained their image but this subdivision has went down hill fast. We are looking to move soon. Not to mention the value of the home has went down by 30000. We have no homeowner association....they handed all the responsibility over to 3 of the homeowners here in Jones Branch. They are the ones handling the fees and the responsibility in the neighborhood. Only if I could turn back time, I would definitely go with Tega Cay!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,638 times
Default Jones Branch

Just wanted to drop my two cents here about the Jones Branch Subdivision in Fort Mill. I have read the good and bad here and it has not swayed me either way because I put an earnest $$$ deposit on a house yesterday. I stood on the front lawn and could see I-77 between a couple of homes and all I heard was a low hum that was barely noticeable. Actually it was less distracting than living on a busy street. I am in Indian Land right now one block in from 160 and I hear more there than what I heard off 77 yesterday mid-day.

To be fair, I used to live a half block from an elevated subway in NY and it doesn't get any worse than that.

It is a relatively small community (about 50-60 homes and not much more room to expand --- check out google maps to see what I am talking about) and HOA fees less than $150 -- a year. There is no pool but a great playground for kids. Depending on your lot, explore putting in your own pool. Taxes are LOW.

And those worried about a power plant? If the worse case scenario happens there is a very safe area - it's called Wyoming.

Crime is nonexistent and it doesn't get any better for shopping. There is a new Publix on Gold Hill Road and it is hands down better than anything around. You shop there once you're hooked.

We are relatively new to SC and love Indian Land, but after considering everything and our price point, we got the best bang for our buck. Do not let the closeness to the Interstate be an issue until you actually stand outside a home to judge for yourself.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
I have friends that live in Jones Branch and they have a nice big lot (big enough for a pool AND plenty of yard for kids to play), and their house is nice. When I've gone over there I haven't noticed a lot of noise from the highway. It seems kid friendly since I always see kids riding their bikes down the street to go to other people's houses and play.

Is it is as nice as Tega Cay? No. But for young families in search of starter homes at reasonable prices, I think Jones Branch would be a good fit.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 AM

396 posts, read 976,974 times
I have friends that live in Jones Branch as well. It kills me that people refer to homes starting at $140k as STARTER homes. Seriously - the homes are nice, there's barely any noise. It's not a low-life neighborhood. People need to get over themselves. There's nothing wrong with not buying an over 200k home elsewhere. There's too much keeping up with the Jones' here. No pun intended. ;-)

Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,638 times
We just had an appraisal done on the house we plan on buying and if there was one problem it was the so-called value because there are no 'comps' to go on. There has been little to no turnover in this development and I believe that is a good thing - stability.

Only one house was distressed (it became a short sale) probably because it was bought at the height of the housing bubble and a number of factors could have led to it going that route like the loss of a job.

The homes are being put up by a local builder which, IMHO, is a plus as well. They have a number of communities in the NC/SC border area so they are neither a fly-by-night operation nor so large they throw them up and move on to the next project.

While there is no pool (or plans that I know of), there is a wide area for a playground and appears a solid family community. We are older (kids grown) and had no intention in moving into fuddy-duddyville that is filled with cramped, overpriced houses filled with people sitting in God's Waiting Room. Puhleeze. Some dude puts his name on it and the price gets jacked up $50K?

If people want to nit-pick Jones Branch Estates, they are nothing more than people with estate dreams and a bungalow bank accounts. 78 homes (when finished), stable, low HOA and low SC taxes. I look forward to joining the community.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,847 times
I bought a home in Jones Branch estates on foreclousure, I need the contact information for the 3 responsibly people that collect the fees monthly. can anyone help? thanks so much.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo4life View Post
Hi! I would def go with Tega Cay! I currently reside in Jones Branch- moved here 4 years ago. Then it wasn't so bad but now it's becoming trashy. Tega Cay has always maintained their image but this subdivision has went down hill fast. We are looking to move soon. Not to mention the value of the home has went down by 30000. We have no homeowner association....they handed all the responsibility over to 3 of the homeowners here in Jones Branch. They are the ones handling the fees and the responsibility in the neighborhood. Only if I could turn back time, I would definitely go with Tega Cay!

Hi

I just got a home there, I need to get in touch with the Board of Directors for the fees. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties