Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 07:09 PM

37 posts, read 131,281 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving down to the Charlotte area with my wife, son and dog. We are interested in starting off with a townhome and then upgrading to single family home in one year, once we are more financially established. We are interested in the new Baxter Village Townhomes. Does anyone have any info on these homes and the builder? Are these homes good quality and in a good location? Can you rent these and if so, do they rent quickly (big demand), as we will most likely keep ours as an investment after buying our home?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,401 times
Pulte's Town Home product in my experience is a good product. I have seen many of them and the floorplans are normally very likeable, communities sell fast with good amenities, and the build quality is good. Most of their newer (last 2 years) town homes have very good standard features as well.

Town Homes in this area tend to rent pretty well, most owners break even or come close because you have to factor in the Association Montly Dues. However, its like everything..more location and how desirable the area determines how quickly it will rent. With Baxter Village I wouldn't see a problem. A quick search shows they are currently renting in the range of $1400-1600 a month.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:07 AM

850 posts, read 2,650,450 times
There seems to be 2 that are listed. They are on Craig's list Charlotte. Do a search under rentals.
They have 3 levels, hardwoods on the main, upscale kitchens, 3/4 beds and 2 car garages.
Very nice for the $...

Old 02-11-2008, 06:34 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,047 times
I recently moved to Fort Mill and my family and are are renting one - we pay $1500/month. It's a REALLY nice townhome and we love the community. Hardwood Floors, fireplace, great appliances (SS GE Profile) - I have had great service from the warranty dept. for a few minor issues. No complaints. If there were enough space for us permanently I'd buy one. For our current situation (2 homes for sale in FL) they've worked out perfectly.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Do the homeowners of the Baxter Village townhomes a favor and do not buy a home there with the intention of renting it later. I own a townhome in the area---and will tell you I have worked my entire life for this home. Unfortunately, there are many rentals here, which make the lives of us homeowners quite unpleasant at times. As an absentee "investor" you will not be here in the middle of the night when all hell breaks out---you will not be here to pick up the beer cans/garbage after a party---you will not be here when your tenant piles junk on their porches and patios---you will not be here when your tenant steals my parking place, then laughs at me when I protest---you will not be here when they play loud music all night and the police refuse to come, "since that's an HOA issue." If you are like the "investors" in my neighborhood, you will deny all of this, but its all true. Please, do townhome owner/occupants a favor and rent an apartment until you are ready to settle down. Now, I stand back and let the flames begin.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
Do the homeowners of the Baxter Village townhomes a favor and do not buy a home there with the intention of renting it later. I own a townhome in the area---and will tell you I have worked my entire life for this home. Unfortunately, there are many rentals here, which make the lives of us homeowners quite unpleasant at times. As an absentee "investor" you will not be here in the middle of the night when all hell breaks out---you will not be here to pick up the beer cans/garbage after a party---you will not be here when your tenant piles junk on their porches and patios---you will not be here when your tenant steals my parking place, then laughs at me when I protest---you will not be here when they play loud music all night and the police refuse to come, "since that's an HOA issue." If you are like the "investors" in my neighborhood, you will deny all of this, but its all true. Please, do townhome owner/occupants a favor and rent an apartment until you are ready to settle down. Now, I stand back and let the flames begin.
You've experienced this in Baxter Village?? That's shocking - I've not heard a sound after dark, seen trash or evidence of parties, experienced parking problems...and I've certainly never seen the police in here. It's a very quiet, upscale community - I have a hard time believing that any of that takes place here.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM

37 posts, read 131,281 times
Well one of the reasons I am buying a townhome in this development is that I will not be ready to buy another home for at least a year. I am not interested in throwing away 1500/month on rent for a year, when I can use that money to establish equity in my townhome. I am sorry that you have had such bad experiences, but also don't think it should preclude someone from buying in the development. If you have a problem with individual renters, either bring it up to them personally or the owner of the townhome. Better yet, bring it up to the HOA, isn't that what they are there for. As for me, if I do decide to later rent my unit, I will carefully screen prospective renters as I have a huge interest in protecting my property. I am not interested in renting to so called "beer drinking party-people" and will include a clause in my lease regarding eviction if these tenants are unruly.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog View Post
I don't think you will be flamed. I don't live in Baxter but this is something those thinking of moving there should consider and investigate. It's exactly why I choose not to buy in mixed occupancy neighborhoods...hard to control. Moedog, exactly what does the HOA do when complaints against tenants are brought by homeowners? This is very disturbing to me as a homeowner, and I don't even live there!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:18 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
I am not here to say I agree or disagree with moedogs post....

...but I think if you read moedogs post carefully it states that he lives/owns a townhome in the area (not necessarily in Baxter Village).

Old 02-12-2008, 06:32 PM

251 posts, read 1,127,826 times
Sorry for the misunderstanding! I DO NOT live in Baxter Village, so I can't speak for that particular development. The comments I made are true for several other townhouse communities in the area, including my own neighborhood. I don't doubt the sincerity of drcharlotte, but I believe he should talk to a few other investors before carrying through on his plan. Screening apparently does little good, if I'm to believe the "investors" who rent townhouses in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties