Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 05:58 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbee01 View Post
No wonder as more and more plants move out of the usa there is less demand for trucks in usa, What trucks that are needed are being produced more and more in Mexico and sent to the USA amd Canada.
You've proven you can cut and paste information from unnamed sources, so what's your solution to the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 PM

56 posts, read 135,331 times
So your saying blue collar workers cant perform white collar jobs and should not be allowed a chance at these white collar jobs?? And my source is from Daimlers own press release . You wont find these articles in the USA media but in Brazil , Mexico and the German media. If you want more detail info find it yourself. I know a good bit about Daimler . Do you say these cut and paste articles are lies???

Old 10-11-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So your saying blue collar workers cant perform white collar jobs and should not be allowed a chance at these white collar jobs?? And my source is from Daimlers own press release . You wont find these articles in the USA media but in Brazil , Mexico and the German media. If you want more detail info find it yourself. I know a good bit about Daimler . Do you say these cut and paste articles are lies???
I don't know the blue collar workers from the plants, so I don't know. My guess would be that they're probably not qualified for the white collar positions in Fort Mill, but there's nothing that prevents them from applying for them.

I'm not saying their lies. I question the sources and the context of your cut and paste material.

I'd still love to hear your solution.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
Same parent company - Daimler AG, and same division, Daimler Truck North America, but different type jobs. The jobs in SC are all white collar jobs. The jobs layoffs at the plants in NC are blue collar. The demand for new trucks is down tremendously.

Ok, that is what I thought. However.....I always wonder about companies moving headquarters and or division offices across states, and the exceptional costs to said company to do so.

If a company is hurting enough to have to lay off people how do they justify the expense of this move to their stockholders?

Is it because they thought the wages would be cheaper in SC than in Portland Oregon? Or was the move for strategic purposes?

And I know full well about the demand for trucks being down, as I work for a transportation provider that is owner operator. However, as being in transportation for 40 years, in all phases of it, I'd like to bring to your attention about blue collar workers.

I worked for Roadway Express's world headquarters for 35 years, and knew and met many workers from the entire country.

EX: dock worker Roadway Akron terminal Degree in Journalism
EX: part time dock worker Brooklyn NY, part time firefighter, degreed, deceased 9-11
in one of the twin towers.

and that is the norm, not the exception. So yes, I'm sure there are blue collar workers in NC, that could have and maybe should have been offered a job in SC.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Ok, that is what I thought. However.....I always wonder about companies moving headquarters and or division offices across states, and the exceptional costs to said company to do so.

If a company is hurting enough to have to lay off people how do they justify the expense of this move to their stockholders?

Is it because they thought the wages would be cheaper in SC than in Portland Oregon? Or was the move for strategic purposes?

And I know full well about the demand for trucks being down, as I work for a transportation provider that is owner operator. However, as being in transportation for 40 years, in all phases of it, I'd like to bring to your attention about blue collar workers.

I worked for Roadway Express's world headquarters for 35 years, and knew and met many workers from the entire country.

EX: dock worker Roadway Akron terminal Degree in Journalism
EX: part time dock worker Brooklyn NY, part time firefighter, degreed, deceased 9-11
in one of the twin towers.

and that is the norm, not the exception. So yes, I'm sure there are blue collar workers in NC, that could have and maybe should have been offered a job in SC.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

The majority of the DTNA plants, suppliers and customer base are on the east coast. It makes more sense for them to be on the east coast than tucked away in the corner of the Northwest. Also, SC is a much more business friendly state than Oregon - especially for a heavy duty truck manufacturer. It was a long-term strategic decision, not short term. The timing could have been better, but it is what it is.

The blue collars workers were line workers from the Freightliner plant in Cleveland County. Honestly, do you think it was the norm for them to be degree holders that would be in a position to transition into white collar positions? I really don't. And that's not a knock on blue collar employees - my Dad ran a backhoe for 28 years. Most of the corporate jobs in Fort Mill require a bachelors degree, prefer a masters. Also, if there were those in Cleveland County that were / are qualified, there's nothing that prevents them from applying for the positions in Fort Mill. Who knows, there could have been some offered positions but who would want to make a commute from Cleveland County to Fort Mill or uproot their family?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:58 PM

its obvious you know very little about Freightliner other than what you have read in the local news media. You did not mention the gastonia, mt holly or the Gaffney plants. Not all white collar jobs require degrees, and many of these blue collar employees do have degerees and dont forget that many white collar employees of other companys haved moved into blue collar jobs. and i know how to cut and paste very well along with access and excel. That last line is for BKQC HA HA

Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
its obvious you know very little about Freightliner other than what you have read in the local news media. You did not mention the gastonia, mt holly or the Gaffney plants. Not all white collar jobs require degrees, and many of these blue collar employees do have degerees and dont forget that many white collar employees of other companys haved moved into blue collar jobs. and i know how to cut and paste very well along with access and excel. That last line is for BKQC HA HA
Nice one Why would I mention those plants? They weren't brought up in the conversation. I still await your solution to these evil profit making companies. Still looking for an article to cut and paste or do you have any original thoughts?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 PM

this statement made in germany today.10/14/08
Daimler to Close Sterling Trucks Unit, Cut 3,500 Jobs

-- Daimler AG, the world's largest maker of heavy vehicles, will close its Sterling Trucks division in North America and cut 3,500 jobs as it reins in production and shifts manufacturing to Mexico.

The reorganization involves the closure of plants in the U.S. and Canada at a cost of $600 million and is aimed at saving $900 million a year by 2011, Daimler said in a statement today. The Stuttgart, Germany-based company will retain the Freightliner and Western Star brands in the region.

Daimler and competitors Volvo AB and Paccar Inc. have seen truck sales dive as growth slows and credit markets seize up. The German company, whose U.S. deliveries fell 30 percent in the first half, will shut Sterling's St. Thomas, Ontario, factory in March and one in Portland, Oregon, in 2010, when labor deals expire. A new Freightliner plant in Mexico will open as planned.

``This is an indication of how bad things are,'' said Michael Tyndall, an analyst at Nomura Securities in London with a ``buy'' recommendation on Daimler stock. ``It's positive for the long term, but everyone's focused on the short term.''

Daimler rose 2 euros, or 7.6 percent, to 28.20 euros in Frankfurt trading. That pares the stock's decline this year to 58 percent, valuing the company at 27.2 billion euros ($37.1 billion).

Brand Missed Targets

The Sterling brand, a maker of medium-sized models which accounts for 15 percent of Daimler's U.S. truck output, ``never met expectations,'' company spokesman Heinz Gottwick said today. The unit was set up in 1998 from truck operations that Daimler bought a year earlier from Ford Motor Co.

With orders remaining on a ``downward trend'' and only a ``moderate rebound'' foreseen in the U.S. economy in 2009, about 88,000 trucks have been ``sidelined'' in North America as companies go bankrupt or are taken over, Chris Patterson, head of the trucks division in the region, said on a conference call.

``We're not happy with the achieved return this year'' at Daimler's North American truck business, Patterson said.

Conversely, with costs at European plants running at lower levels, Daimler is ``better prepared'' to cope with a shrinking market there, Andreas Renschler, head of Daimler's global truck operations, said on the call. The company is closing its ``highest-cost'' plants as it can't wait for possible government bailouts to maintain profit, and expects the remaining brands to pick up customers from Sterling.

`Streamlining'

``They're streamlining the business, adjusting capacity in line with the market,'' said Arndt Ellinghorst, a London-based analyst at Credit Suisse with an ``outperform'' recommendation on Daimler, who added that ``there were always doubts'' about what Sterling stood for. ``We're going to see more of this.''

The plant closures will cost 2,300 manufacturing jobs, while an additional 1,200 administrative positions will be cut in connection with the reorganization, Daimler said. Costs will amount to $350 million in the fourth quarter, mainly for severance pay and dealer compensation, plus $150 million next year and $100 million spread over 2010 and 2011.

Production of Western Star trucks will be transferred to a plant in Santiago, Mexico. Freightliner is sticking to plans to start making its Cascadia model at a new factory in Saltillo, Mexico, in February and will shift military-vehicle manufacture to plants in North or South Carolina, Daimler said. The North American truck division's headquarters will remain in Portland.

Gothenburg, Sweden-based Volvo, the world's second-largest truckmaker, suffered an 18 percent drop in North American sales in August, with the Mack brand reporting a 19 percent fall. The decline reflects ``a more pronounced softness in housing construction,'' with tighter credit and pricier fuel also weighing on the market, Volvo said on Sept. 17.

Bellevue, Washington-based Paccar, the maker of Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks, scaled back its 2008 industry sales forecast for North America in July by as much as 9 percent.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Dear DTNA Employee:
A major public announcement involving DTNA operations was made within the last hour at Daimler AG Headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany. You may soon see news reports online or on television, or perhaps receive emails from Daimler colleagues in European or Asian time zones. Due to German and U.S. laws surrounding significant news from public companies and the reality of multiple time zones, this public and early notice was simply unavoidable. I regret the fact that those most deeply and personally affected must learn of this at the same time as the general public.
Our top priority today is briefing all of our employees as rapidly as possible. We have a comprehensive communication strategy in place that will unfold throughout the day. Depending on your location, you will be provided access to conference calls, Town Hall meetings, or individual departmental meetings.
Please attend these meetings, or participate on the calls. You should have received email notice of your assigned meeting or call from Corporate Communications earlier this morning. OpCom members are in residence at all our major locations today to convey information about our announcement firsthand, and provide an opportunity for you to ask questions. We have taken this step to ensure direct and open communication, which is difficult in a company as large we are with operations in multiple locations.
I regret that I am not there to participate in person; the nature of this announcement requires my presence in Germany today.
You’ll be hearing from me later this morning in the October Message From The President, and in person, as soon as my schedule permits.
Thank you,
Chris

Old 10-14-2008, 08:43 PM

What is my Solution?? The answer to this problem requires a joint effort by all people in the USA!! or you will soon see all jobs gone to another country!! Our gov. cant run itself and i doubt it can run the banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties